Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

007bond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
DFW, Texas
Is this possible? I'm just wondering if anyone has tried. Thanks :)

Edit: I backup to iCloud, not my computer. Idk if that makes a difference.

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
I was curious of this outcome myself? What worried me was when I installed iOS 6 my photos all messed up so are they messed up in iCloud backups or will they appear properly once the iOS is downgraded again?

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio

It isn't possible to restore from an iOS backup that's for a later version than the one you are running. So, when you go back to 5.1.1 and check for backups on your iCloud ID, it will say there are none, even though your iOS 6 backups are actually there.

007bond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
DFW, Texas
It isn't possible to restore from an iOS backup that's for a later version than the one you are running. So, when you go back to 5.1.1 and check for backups on your iCloud ID, it will say there are none, even though your iOS 6 backups are actually there.

Darn, that stinks. I guess I'll just have to deal with the iOS 6 bugs :rolleyes: (not that I didn't expect them)

007bond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
DFW, Texas

Wait, will I be able to restore to an old iOS 5 backup?

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Wait, will I be able to restore to an old iOS 5 backup?

Yup, as long as the backup is either from an earlier version, or current version of iOS 5 you are running.

Example, if I have a 5.0 backup and i restore to 5.1.1, I can restore to that 5.0 backup. Only if it's newer then you cant restore.

your OS version >= backup version; will work
your OS version < backup version; will NOT work

007bond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
DFW, Texas
Yup, as long as the backup is either from an earlier version, or current version of iOS 5 you are running.

Example, if I have a 5.0 backup and i restore to 5.1.1, I can restore to that 5.0 backup. Only if it's newer then you cant restore.

your OS version >= backup version; will work
your OS version < backup version; will NOT work

Do you know if iCloud stores previous backups?

akatypes

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2009
This used to work by simply editing the plist file thats in the backup. I was able to do it in 5.1>5.0.1. I tried the same method in 6.0>5.1.1 with no luck.

snowcrash

macrumors regular
May 30, 2011
Boston MA, USA
This used to work by simply editing the plist file thats in the backup. I was able to do it in 5.1>5.0.1. I tried the same method in 6.0>5.1.1 with no luck.

Thanks for the info. I was going to try that and rollback but don't want to lose the data so I will just trek along with the beta. I look at it as being stable but quirky as hell. Buggy for sure but not unusable.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
This is why developers know to locate and make a copy of your 5.1.1 iTunes backup before upgrading to betas, in case iTunes makes a newer one and deletes the 5.1.1 version. Also, iCloud backup should be turned off too so the final version saved there is 5.1.1

Last edited:

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
I downgraded from iOS 6 b1 to 5.1.1 on my iPhone 4S, and tried to restore using the backup from iCloud. No dice. The backup didn't even show up.

Had to start fresh, oh well.

Will remember to back up via iTunes next time.

Dylatron2000

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2011
Durham, NC
I downgraded from iOS 6 b1 to 5.1.1 on a 4S and restored my 5.1.1 backup from itunes with no problem, well, actually there is one small problem.

Whenever I try to change my wallpaper to one of the stock apple wallpapers, all of them are blacked out, and whenever I tap on one, it just brings up a black screen.

Yes I am jailbroken now but it happened before I jailbroke 5.1.1, some bug or something of the like.

Aside from that minor flaw, everything else works fine.

Attachments

• Photo Jun 25, 2 32 47 PM.png
    Photo Jun 25, 2 32 47 PM.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 201

Lyons00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
Bay Area, California
I'm having the same problem, can't restore my iOS 6 backup file on my 5.1.1. In iTunes, I'm only showing one backup file, where as before there used to be many. Has this changed? Is anybody getting more then one backup file on the new iTunes 10.6.3?

Thanks, Jerry

rman726

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
I had iOS 6 installed originally and decided I wanted tethering back, so went back to iOS 5. I had no luck whatsoever with backups. I just decided to start over with a fresh slate and think I'm happier as a result. It's always nice to start clean once in a while.

wharzhee

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
texas
sorry to be blunt, but, ru all kidding me?

it's common sense to know it would not be compatible.
stuff are usually backward compatible, not forward compatible.

unless they redesign iOS5 to work with iOS6, i dont see how u all can imagine it would.

ITGuy

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2005

If you had your backup on your computer you could have tried the procedure on iOS 5 I've used successfully a few times in this type of scenario.

The info.plist file in the device backup folder has a Product Version field. I've simply changed the Product Version string to the older version of iOS and done the restore. Not sure if it will work with iOS 6 backups.

For future reference, it's probably a good idea to perform manual local backups to your computer periodically, even if you are configured to backup to iCloud. Simply right-click your iDevice in iTunes and select Back Up. This will make a local backup of your device.

-ITG

Last edited:

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
sorry to be blunt, but, ru all kidding me?

it's common sense to know it would not be compatible.
stuff are usually backward compatible, not forward compatible.

unless they redesign iOS5 to work with iOS6, i dont see how u all can imagine it would.

And I don't see why they would put much effort into that either... If it works fine, but I don't see any dev company doing that unless it is requirement.

When I restored, I backed up to iCloud, then iTunes, then installed. My iTunes backup was the 5.1.1 fall back one, should somthing bad happened. Now, it is very stale... :D

solidsnake32292

macrumors regular
May 29, 2010
if i have a i OS 6 beta 4 backuo in iCloud now.. but downgraded back to 5.1.1... when iOS 6 officially comes out next month i can restore from my back up from beta 4 that i had right?

solidsnake32292

macrumors regular
May 29, 2010
Probably, as there is no direct answer. Have you disabled iCloud backups now you're on 5.1.1?

yeah i have so I'm sure it should be no problem.. but i plan to sell my 4S soon and not do anything with it so when i get my new iPhone just restore from the back up in iCloud with all my stuff on it... the most important stuff is texts.. everything else i can get back because its synced with iCloud

mama4u

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2012
help

i downgraded to i just read that it doesnt work? i downgraded then when i went to my backup that i just saved befor i downgraded it says that the back up cant b used because my ipod is to old for that backup? so when i turned on my ipod it starts from the begining saying set up as new ipod or restore from icloud or itunes cloud said there isnt any like i just read dam somebody help:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.