Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

praetorx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
Will Snow Leopard install on a late 2011 MBP?
I don't like Lion that much and would like to go "back" to the good old Snow Leo.
Has anone done this on a late 2011 MBP? Thanks!

praetorx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
I don't like the little things: the new loading progress bar, the "full screen" windows, the scroll bars (I HATE them)...

miker2209

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2010
You'll eventually have to upgrade and live with lion sooner or later why not get used to it now? We know it still has alot of things to fix and sort out, but hey it's only the second upgrade. Give it some time :)

BrickbookPro

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
I don't like the little things: the new loading progress bar, the "full screen" windows, the scroll bars (I HATE them)...

Most of that you can just not use or get over it. Snow leopard probably will run on it, but you'll have to switch eventually. Additionally, you'd have to buy SL.

----------

We know it still has alot of things to fix and sort out, but hey it's only the second upgrade. Give it some time :)
We? Speak for yourself. I and many others have had no issues.

miker2209

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2010
Most of that you can just not use or get over it. Snow leopard probably will run on it, but you'll have to switch eventually. Additionally, you'd have to buy SL.

----------

We? Speak for yourself. I and many others have had no issues.

Well then the "we" minority that is experiencing problems then :)

Spencer Reynen

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2011
Why downgrade? You can always mess with things in system preferences to get it pretty much back to SL. It'd be a waste of money too. Hey, it's up to you tho.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none

You can switch on old style scroll bars.
You don't have to use full screen mode
The look of the progress bar? Seriously?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The scroll bars can be a pain, but you get used to them. Being such a new laptop, its possible but not recommended to downgrade

Takashi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
Will Snow Leopard install on a late 2011 MBP?
I don't like Lion that much and would like to go "back" to the good old Snow Leo.
Has anone done this on a late 2011 MBP? Thanks!

It's best not to downgrade as slow leopard might not have all the necessary drivers for the computer. Many have said that you have to move forward sooner or later so it's quite pointless to downgrade now and then upgrade later.

Of course, you can always buy a 2nd hand mac that comes with SL instead.

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
If you have the low end late 2011 MacBook Pro 15" or the 13" it should work as they use the same hardware that's in the older models. You'd probably need to procure some older Snow Leopard install disks from an Early '11 MBP of the same size and then do a Target Disk install using firewire from the other MacBook the discs are for.
If you do not know what this means, please stay with Lion.

praetorx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
I should have called it fresh install of snow leopard instead of downgrade to avoid misinterpretation.
Anyways, I guess my safest bet is to get used to it. Paying $30 for Snow Leopard is definetily not a big deal considering that I paid $2000+ on the system.

I just find it frustrating since I really liked the way OS X was, this being my second apple system after owning a 2010 MBP for about 4mo.

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
Yes, I am running Snow Leopard on my Late 2011 MBP 15 inch 2.4Ghz, 8GB, SSD computer.

BEFORE you install SL you need to download this: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399

Save it to a SD Card or Flashdrive with at least 2GB of space.

What you need to do is find a legit copy (or any other means, I won't say of of course) of 10.6.7. Then, burn it to a CD and install it. You mouse, keyboard function keys at the top, as well as the resolution will look whack. Don't worry, this is normal.

Once booted up and you finish setup, plug in your USB drive or SD card or external hard drive whatever means of saving that file you downloaded above. Drag it to the desktop, and go though the installer. Once it reboots, everything will look normal, keyboard will work, drivers installed, everything will be just like it came from Apple is Snow Leopard installed.

I don't know what others are saying, but I haven't gotten a single, crash, kernel panic etc.

Cheers!

un.titled

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
Who cares what his reason for wanting to downgrade is, he's looking for an answer and people are getting all defensive. This place sometimes...

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
I'd consider it an UPgrade. It worked for me just fine. Just gotta make sure you have the proper install discs from an early 2011 Macbook Pro.

And contrary to some comments in this thread, its been stable.

Reason for upgrading? Lion is bloated, uses up more ram than it should, and Mission Control is crap. Expose needs to come back, and until that happens I wont be using Lion.

praetorx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
Yes, I am running Snow Leopard on my Late 2011 MBP 15 inch 2.4Ghz, 8GB, SSD computer.

BEFORE you install SL you need to download this: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399

Save it to a SD Card or Flashdrive with at least 2GB of space.

What you need to do is find a legit copy (or any other means, I won't say of of course) of 10.6.7. Then, burn it to a CD and install it. You mouse, keyboard function keys at the top, as well as the resolution will look whack. Don't worry, this is normal.

Once booted up and you finish setup, plug in your USB drive or SD card or external hard drive whatever means of saving that file you downloaded above. Drag it to the desktop, and go though the installer. Once it reboots, everything will look normal, keyboard will work, drivers installed, everything will be just like it came from Apple is Snow Leopard installed.

I don't know what others are saying, but I haven't gotten a single, crash, kernel panic etc.

Cheers!

So it's as simple as installing it from a valid media and applying the latest Snow Leopard update..nice!
Thanks for confirming, I'll purchase Snow Leopard right away.

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
So it's as simple as installing it from a valid media and applying the latest Snow Leopard update..nice!
Thanks for confirming, I'll purchase Snow Leopard right away.
Good luck!

If the disk you get doesn't work, please post back, and Ill try to help you the best I can. I only tested it with a 10.6.7 ISO, which I believe has the drivers to boot the late 2011 Macbook Pro.

Cheers!

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
The latest version of the retail disk is 10.6.3.

If you have an earlier FireWire equipped Mac handy you can use that to install it on the 2011 using Target Disk Mode then apply the 10.6.8 Combo Update.

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
The latest version of the retail disk is 10.6.3.

If you have an earlier FireWire equipped Mac handy you can use that to install it on the 2011 using Target Disk Mode then apply the 10.6.8 Combo Update.

I can also upload my 10.6.7 ISO from my Early 2011 MBP, which I used to install SL if needed.

praetorx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
I believe that would be in breach of the EULA but i'll purchase the official disks from apple. thanks for the offer though ;)

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I believe that would be in breach of the EULA but i'll purchase the official disks from apple. thanks for the offer though ;)
That won't work.

You'd need the disks from an early 2011 MBP, with 10.6.7 or later. The Apple disk is 10.6.3 which will refuse to install on your machine I can guarantee it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.