Downgrading from Macbook Pro to Ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dndandrea, Apr 22, 2011.

1. dndandrea macrumors 6502

Alright i currently own a 15" macbook pro that i bought brand new middle of last year. Recently i haven't been using it to it's full potential. I rarely use any applications unless its safari, mail, itunes, microsoft word & powerpoint, and sometimes i'll pop open photoshop to mess around.

I'm in the need for money and i feel like downgrading from the macbook pro to a ipad would earn me at least $400 and it would probably satisfy my needs. I just want to know if anyone has done this before and if they are happy with their decision. I don't want to regret downgrading since the ipad REALLY limits you on what you can and can't do. I tried looking at other tablets but unfortunately the ipad blows them all out of the water.

I'm assuming it's a different ballpark on the tablet compared to the laptop but how much? I plan on doing a lot of typing through safari, email, and document writing. This will be my primary computer since i'll be selling the laptop.

** Forgot to add that i own a Iphone 4 right now so that makes it even harder to justify owning a ipad since its basically a Iphone 4 but with a bigger screen, faster processor, and bigger space.

ADVICE PLEASE!

2. Kupp macrumors regular

Yeah, that is exactly what I said to myself when I saw the thread title.

3. dndandrea thread starter macrumors 6502

I was hoping someone would read the thread before jumping to conclusions. I originally owned the laptop when i had a video camera. Used to film a lot of skateboarding and edited it through final cut pro. I also used to do a lot of graphic & web design through photoshop but haven't really been doing much lately. I just don't see any reason to keep a $1600 device that isn't being used anywhere near it's potential...

And i'm in need of the money. I hear good things from the ipad so i felt now is a good time to make the switch.

4. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

For most people, downgrading from a MBP to an iPad would seem rather obscure unless maybe if it is from a MBA, I would see the point. However, since you say you want to use light apps like email, safari, word (pages on iPad), these are perfect to use on the iPad. There's even a photoshop app designed for the iPad. If I were you, I would downgrade because the iPad would handle most stuff easily that you've mentioned.

Plus, you would gain an additional profit if you sell your MBP, adding the cool factor of owning an iPad 2. Have you considered purchasing an 11" MBA? It's just in the middle of owning a pro and an iPad, and would easily do any tasks that you stated. I would consider the 11" MacBook Air over the iPad as well...

5. dndandrea thread starter macrumors 6502

I was originally debating between either a cheap windows laptop or the 64gb ipad. I wouldn't like to spend any more than $700 plus i've never really been a fan of the macbook air. I'll look more into it though thanks for the advice.

I would really like to hear from people who use their ipad as their primary device. Do you feel very restricted every time you use it?

6. gameface macrumors 6502

Well I have a Mac Pro too so I'm not the best to say. But, if I didn't have this one client that still makes me use my MBP at their office, I would have sold it and strictly used my ipad. It has basically been relegated to an email machine except for the limited trips to their office every other month.

7. XXFirefighter macrumors regular

do NOT replace the MacBook Pro with a ipad 2...
    You WILL regret it.. .

8. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

downgrading from a MBP to an iPad? ... you may be the first :cool:

9. dndandrea thread starter macrumors 6502

im glad the title of the thread is grabbing people's attention like i planned. just think of it as a the basic macbook downgrade to ipad 2 since its not like im using anything on here that requires the processor to go quickly. i probably won't make the switch anyways but i was just seeing if anyone could relate to what i was planning on possibly doing. I needed someone to convince me to make the switch because like i said, i guess its not really worth it but who knows.

10. XXFirefighter macrumors regular

Your not going to have anyone convince you TO do it...

11. HelloPanda macrumors member

Have you ever used an iPad? It offers little in terms of productivity. The iPad is best used for consumption. Books, Magazines, Internet Browsing, Music, Video, Twitter, FaceBook and light email.

In addition, an iPad browser doesn't even come close to matching a desktop browser. There's absolutely no way you can downgrade and not feel like you lost a ton of functionality. You're going to feel like a total jackass.

The iPad is just not meant to replace a Notebook.

12. dndandrea thread starter macrumors 6502

Well yeah. Just hearing MBP to Ipad 2 sounds stupid but put yourself in my situation. It's $1600 that i feel like is just losing value as i sit here and just use it for internet, email, and smaller apps. Why not sell it while its still worth something and get something that'd be more fitting for myself? Like i said, I probably won't but i'm trying to hear from others who don't use their computers for applications and other reasons.

Aren't there people out there who bought an ipad or other tablet and eventually sold their computer since they didn't use it as much?

13. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

as others have stated ... you will miss it ... your MBP is a powerful computer that you may need over the next 5 years.

Try to look for other ways to come up with needed money

14. XXFirefighter macrumors regular

My ipad 2 is getting delivered in a day or 2... I'm trying to sell my MBP to upgrade it with a new one. I will have both. I can't do what I do on just a iPad2.

15. dndandrea thread starter macrumors 6502

True. I think i'll just stick with this.

16. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

Have you thought about:
    * printing: there are some iPad friendly wifi inkjets. Would you have to buy one?
    * file backup: how are you going to backup files, iphone contacts, etc...?
    * updates: if you dont have a pc/mac, how would you download ios updates?

Cut back on driving, use coupons, shop when there are sales, reduce Starbucks intake -- all will save you money...

17. Kupp macrumors regular

Keep the MB and maybe get a 1st gen refurb iPad. The MB will get you a lot farther, the iPad while useful, is a noveltybfor the most part.

18. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Yes, it can be done. I have a 2010 13" MBP and the iPad 2. Only reason I need my MBP is for downloading files. I live outside the US, so the only way I can watch TV shows from the US is by downloading them, then converting them to ATV/iPad friendly formats. You won't be able to do things like that with the iPad by itself.

Have you thought about getting a cheap Windows laptop or desktop? There are some pretty ones out there for $400-$500. And then add a 32GB Wi-Fi iPad2 for $600. Just a thought.

19. leftyMac macrumors regular

If you'd spend that much money, he'd be better getting a MBA 11.

20. brudog68 macrumors 6502

+1

Get an old desktop with a big HD...get the 16 or 32 g iPad ...then a good desktop remote app on the iPad...voila'

Without keeping some sort of "home" computer to access, afraid you will miss it, but with above setups, you can get darn close...that's what I'm doing and rarely "use" my laptop/home pc.

21. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

22. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

1. Rumors are saying the MBA is about to get newer, faster Sandy Bridge cpu's , faster graphics and thunderbolt. Buying one now may lead to regret a couple of months from now.

2. Sounds like you're doing will fit well with the ipad. Love mine, take it everywhere, and use it exclusively out of the office unless I need a bigger screen and regular keyboard. Laptop is pretty much used in my easy chair in my den, that's about it.

3. That said, there are occasions where you need a 'real' computer. Try to get a good price on a version 1 on craigslist after you've scraped a few pennies together. The more people get v2's, the cheaper their first gen's will sell for.

23. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

Sell your Mbp and buy a cheap MacBook I just bout iPad 2 no way it can replace a computer

24. Blakjack, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011

Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Because he said he needs more money. He said that in his post

If that's all u use your pro for and u seriously need the money....DOWNGRADE.

You just might get more use and satisfaction from your iPad being that is is Waaay more portable.