Download Camera + while you can...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nhlducks35, Aug 11, 2010.

1. nhlducks35 macrumors regular

http://gizmodo.com/5610183/camera%252B-app-hides-hardware-shutter-from-apple

The developers of iPhone photography app Camera+ were hoping to offer one particularly enticing option: a hardware shutter via volume buttons. But Apple put the kibosh on their plan, saying it would confuse users. The dev's solution? Hide the feature.

The need to tap the iPhone's screen to snap a shot is for many an unwelcome (and unwieldy) process, and a hardware solution doesn't seem to jibe with Apple's design approach. TapTapTap, makers of Camera+, sought to offer users a clever workaround, as the phone's volume buttons are perfectly located under the thumb or index finger when using the screen as a viewfinder. This means, in TapTapTap's words, that "photos can be sharper because you can now hold your iPhone steadier with two hands instead of fumbling around for the shutter button on screen." They also point out that headphones with volume controls could be used as a remote.

I'm certainly inclined to agree—now that my phone is made out of glass, I want as many fingers gripping the thing as possible. But Apple deemed the "non-standard" use of the volume buttons far too mystifying for the average iPhone user, and unacceptable, lest we all become confused and degenerate, screeching and cracking open coconuts with our phones in a panicked frenzy.

Camera+ has circumvented the App Store censors (for now), by letting users navigate to a site in Safari that unlocks the volume button shutter. A clever fix to preserve another clever fix. Get it while it's still available—this probably won't last long.

2. dojoman macrumors 65816

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but after enabling it works fine for Camera+. But now I can't use buttons to control volume after quitting app. Try it. It sucks!!! If it takes over the whole volume control system what's the point? You see why Apple won't allow this kind of stuff. Even stupid anti-Apple Gizmodo doesn't even realize this...Lame.

3. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Just as you have to enable it, you have to disable it to recover volume control.

4. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Doesn't sound too efficient unless you have about an hour of photo ops in your future.

5. THE dAY macrumors 6502

Is this enabled thru Safari using the PDF exploit that just got patched with the new iPhone update?

6. qb84 macrumors newbie

It works fine here. :confused:

7. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Same here I got camera + plus today and the volume buttons work fine after I have closed the app.

8. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

did you fully close it or leave it in the multitasking bar?

9. CanucksRock macrumors member

I just tried it - works great! Nice feature, definitley easier to snap pics :)

When I close the app (switch to something else) the volume buttons work as volume buttons. :cool:

10. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Dude, you're probably holding it wrong. Or, your volume buttons are now broken. Sucks. Works fine for me. ;)

11. openendstraight macrumors regular

openendstraight

Where is the link for the page in safari to turn feature on?

ED: just found link....

12. dojoman macrumors 65816

Just tried again. It worked briefly but after taking a few pics I cannot see volume up/down graphic. I open ipod and I was still able to control volume but just no graphic. It's a bug.

13. dojoman macrumors 65816

Ok..normally when you press volume when you're in Home page it will control ringer volume and you can see ringer volume going up/down. After enabling this I cannot see that bar anymore but still able to control volume.

14. nfl46 macrumors 603

Wow, Camera+ is now number 3 in the App Store. Lol. The other day (2 days ago), it would in the 30's, I believe.

15. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Huh, not happening for me, but when I exit the app the volume has risen or fallen depending on which button I push.

16. TangoDown macrumors regular

From the link In the article.....

camplus://enablevolumesnap

17. nfl46 macrumors 603

Lol, I am dumb. I'm thinking the feature is hiding within the app, so I'm trying all kinds of things to get it to work. Maybe if I would have clicked on the link, I would of have known what to do. smh. Lol.:(

Edit: Works Great! This is MUCH needed!

18. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

19. dojoman macrumors 65816

Which iphone do you have? iPhone 4?

20. mpt-matthew macrumors regular

I used to click the button to take a picture.

Before iOS4 i was jailbroken. I downloaded a hack that worked very well.
    It allowed you to use volume to take a picture using apples camera app.
    So it is possible.

APPLE WHY DO YOU NOT JUST PUT IT IN AN UPDATE.

I was hoping that it would come with iOS4, but no it didnt.
    It seemed obvious, the button is in just the right place!

If you use the "its to complicated argument".
    A: my dad who is not iPhone competent tried taking a picture using the volume button, then couldn't understand why it didn't take.
    B: just have it in the settings somewhere, and default turned off, then only people (yeh, everyone) who wants it will turn it on.

!

21. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Yeah, running iOS 4.0.1.

Anybody know if today's update breaks this???

22. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Yeah I would like to know this also I don't want to lose this feature. To people having problems I still don't have any even when the app is in the multitasking bar!

23. dojoman macrumors 65816

damn volume still works but sometime I can see the volume bar sometime I can't. WTF? It's kind of cool I can take pic with buttons but bothering me as heck I can't tell the volume level I press the buttons.

24. TangoDown macrumors regular

No joy here. Volume just continues to work as normal.
    iPhone 3G iOS 3.1.3 JB'd.

25. allaboutmusic macrumors member

Works fine for me. Disables volume graphic as long as Camera+ is in multitask tray, reappears once it is closed and removed from tray. Fine with me!

I have added bookmarks in Safari in case I forget them.