Download eBooks to my Mac for storage?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AlaskaMoose, Nov 30, 2011.

1. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

Since I don't want to download eBooks straight to the iPad (I don't want to use all the space available in it), can I just download them to a MacBook or one of the other Macs at home instead, and then download them one-at -time to the iPad as needed?

Thanks.

2. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Download them into dropbox. That way you can use them on any iDevice and they don't take up any physical storage.

3. AlaskaMoose thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks.

I will give that a try.

4. RHVC59 macrumors 6502

Check out the Calibre, it is an excellent e-book management program!
    I will manage a library wonderfully, and convert books frome one format to another:)

http://calibre-ebook.com/

5. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I've certainly done this with Kindle books. You can manage and transfer them with iTunes.

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Just put them into the iTunes library on your Mac. Actually, eBooks that I downloaded on my iPad from a store other than the Apple Store somehow made it to the iTunes library on my Mac automatically when I synced. (The seller has a link on their website, the link goes to iBook when I click on it in Safari on the iPad, it goes in the iBook library, and after syncing it was on my Mac).

In iTunes on the Mac, you can select exactly which songs, videos, audio books, or ebooks you want on your iPad or on any other device.

7. AlaskaMoose thread starter macrumors 65816

Then iTunes is the way to go for me. I was not aware that I could use it.

Thanks again to all of you for your responses.

8. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Good luck accessing itunes if you are away from your computer, say at the doctors office or in the car. Unless, you want to pay for a vpn. Of course, if you don't need to access your books, magazines or documents on the go, then itunes is perfectly fine.

9. AlaskaMoose thread starter macrumors 65816

I would not have to access iTunes away from home. What I want to do is to use my wife's iMac to download and store eBooks, and every now and then transfer it to the iPad for her to read it.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you are buying books from iBooks, currently the only way to buy them and download them is from the iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch. You can then sync with your computer, which will copy the book to your computer. Once you do that, you can delete them off your iPad, and they will remain on your computer.

If you are buying books from any other source, you can buy and download them onto your computer, and then sync them to your iPad, usually through iTunes. The exact method you use to sync will depend on the format of your ebooks and whether or not they have DRM. Barnes & Noble and Amazon keep omlime archives of your ebooks purchases that you can access directly from the iPad, so you don't really have to sync those.

However, ebooks don't take up much space, so there's not much point managing them. I just keep my entire ebooks collection on my iPad at all times.