download speed fine - upload speed horrible

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mufngruf, Jan 7, 2010.

1. mufngruf macrumors member

I generally get about 700kbs download speed, which is what my ISP (Sky uk) tells me I SHOULD have, but they also tell me that my router upload speed should be similar and it's not anywhere close to it... (see pic)
    Any suggestions as to what and how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

It will not be similar. The way broadband works is asymetrical, the upload speed can never be the same as the download.

Edit* See mine, and thats on a cable connection
    [​IMG]

The only way I have ever got even close is when using my University's dedicated line.
    [​IMG]

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Consumer broadband is nearly always asymmetrical—severely so, in most cases, but that's not a requirement or an issue of capability, that's just what's being sold. Should you have sufficient need (and $$), you can certainly obtain symmetrical bandwidth. Verizon FIOS for example offers 20Mbps up/down.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

The OP is using Sky Broadband, which is definitely consumer broadband, thus asymmetrical.

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Agreed, but that wasn't my point. ;)

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Fair Point :D

7. mufngruf thread starter macrumors member

now now.. don't squabble...

Thanks for the help, although I don't really understand. Firstly, Sky, of course, uses BT lines and my best available speed if 4mb so I don't know that a "symmetrical" whatsit is an option. Should there REALLY be that much difference between up and down speeds? According to Sky broadband tech line test, my router shows the same available up speed as down speed so doesn't that suggest that the issue is determined by what happens BEFORE the router, and therefore on my machine settings?

8. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adsl take a look, explains it better than me.

We weren't squabbling, just discussing :p

9. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

As pointed out above: "ADSL" = Asymmetrical Digital Subscriber Line.

10. mufngruf thread starter macrumors member

ok then - but just watch yourselves in future...

Thanks for the info - I went to wiki and read a while and am now nursing the resultant headache.. and thanx for that.
    So, IF I UNDERSTAND CORRECTLY, there realistically isn't anything to be done to increase my upload speed as long as I'm on a phoneline type connection right?
    Will a cable connection make it any better or the mythical impending fibre-optics?
    How 'bout stomping my feet and holding my breath?
    Gee whillickers... welcome to the slambang hiteck world of the 21st century, eh?
    Unless someone else (or you folk) have any better ideas, I shall try painting a pentagram on the router and nailing a horseshoe (upside down of course) to the back of my imac.
    gotta hammer?

11. mstrze macrumors 68000

It's been my experience over the years with all types of ISPs and connections that upload speed is always lower than download. it's often advertised as so by proividers.

Even here at work I get a big discrepency:

[​IMG]

12. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

You never know that might just work.....

13. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

are you on sky broadband connect , and what time were you uploading?, im with them on that and the speeds are heavily throttled from about 5pm to 11pm 7 days a week ;)

14. mufngruf thread starter macrumors member

I am indeed on Sky and use it 24/7. I haven't noticed any such throttling - I get terrific D/L speeds all the time, given the restrictions of my BT line, it's just my U/L speeds that are so abysmal. How're yours, when not throttled?

15. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You know, the intarnet is a series of connected tubes, and it's like squeezing the toothpaste out of its tube and trying to squeeze it back in :D

And it doesn't matter what the line speed is, it matters what amount of data the other side accepts. You may have a line that could transmit 20 MBit/sec but if the other side only accepts 100 KBit/sec then that is what your router will send.

To improve the speed, find an ISP that handles commercial customers and pay their fees.

16. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

Everyone has faster internet than me :(. Even though this is kinda fast for Australia. Compared to most people, who can't have ADSL2+. I think it's funny that my ISP has a higher star rating than most in this thread, it's an awesome ISP :D

[​IMG]

17. akswun macrumors regular

akswun

OUCH!!!! LOL.... The ISP rating is based on what the testers have rated the ISP

[​IMG]

Rogers here in Canada gets a lower rating because the prices are ridiculous... For the 6 years I've had the 'Extreme' package they've raised the price a couple of times. 'Extreme' used to be the top tier DSL packages. It started off at 5MB DL and now has doubled, guessing it isn't much of a loss.

18. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

my upload is pants to be honest, i get about half a meg at best

which dont seem to be at half 4 on a saturday morning :confused:
    [​IMG]

The throttling so i've heard is to allow for everyone to use it, so basically when all the kids get home from school and such, you should be able to find more out here sky user

19. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

Most customers don't get the same upload speeds as their download speeds. The person you talked to probably had the wrong information. According to your attached picture you are indeed getting close to 700 Kbps upload. You have to convert 0.64 Mbps to Kbps which gives you 640 Kbps. Your download speeds are faster than what the person told you. That's where the confusion seems to be from.

Each ISP has different speeds so if you don't like what you are getting then you should look around for a faster internet provider. Make sure to know ahead of time what you should be getting so that you don't have the same problem.

Upload speeds are starting to become more important these days because there are a lot of websites that you can upload your personal content to. When you go looking for an internet provider make sure to also look at how fast their upload speeds are.

20. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

Is everyone's download speed 1/10th of what their actual speed is, or is that just Australia? For instance, 1.5 mb/s internet downloads at 15-160 kb/s, 20 mb/s downloads at 2 mb/s etc.