Downloaded Safari 5.1.7 in error. Need help Removing.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mousemaker, Jan 2, 2013.

1. mousemaker, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013

mousemaker macrumors newbie

I had been using Yahoo as one of my email addresses. It kept bugging me to upload the NEW Safari. Like a robot I did it. Now I can't use it because I do not have the latest operating version. I need desperately to get rid of it and get my old Safari back but I do not have the money to visit a "genius". Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

I need to remove the newest version of Safari from my computer. I am currently running FireFox because Safari is no longer available to me. I need to get the old Safari back.

10.6.8 Operating System

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Slow down, and try actually explaining what your problem is.

3. simsaladimbamba

Who/what has bugging you to update Safari?

Now you cannot use what?

You mean, you want to downgrade to an older version of Safari?

Start by telling us what Mac OS X version you use and what Safari version you used before and to what version it has been updated/upgraded.

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, to get a knowledgable audience and help making the thread easier to find for people looking for the same information, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

4. mousemaker thread starter macrumors newbie

Help with Removing Safari

Operating System 10.6.8

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

What, precisely, happens when you try to launch Safari?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You didn't fully answer the question:
    It's going to be harder to help if you don't communicate.

7. simsaladimbamba

I guess, you cannot give us anymore information or take the time to change the title or the time to read the thread I linked to.

Let's go for another round of useless questions then: Do you employ backups? What Safari version has been replaced with what Safari version? If you do not know the answer to these questions, you can just write so, it is better than ignoring them. You want help, you'll get it, but for that to happen, we need your cooperation, as you are in front of the computer.

8. krravi macrumors 65816

If you look closely there is an option that says "Use the old Yahoo Mail'.. click on it and then it will work in Safari.

Yahoo has just upgraded its webmail system and wonder what is not compatible with safari as it was built based on WebKit which is pretty much a standard.

9. simsaladimbamba

With what Safari version does this happen?

10. mousemaker thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know how to answer.

Is quote how you do it?

11. simsaladimbamba

You answered by doing this post. You can see your posts, can you not?

12. mousemaker thread starter macrumors newbie

It tells me that I do not have the proper OSX version. I only have 10.6.8

13. simsaladimbamba

What exactly tells you that?

Can you make a screenshot and attach it to your next post?

14. mousemaker thread starter macrumors newbie

When I push the icon (new safari version) a message comes on the screen that says You Can Not Use This You Do Not Have the Correct Operating System

----------

How do I make a screen shot?

15. simsaladimbamba

You mean, when you go to your Dock (bottom) and click on the Safari icon, you get that message?
    Did you install Safari 6 via Software Update? Strange, as it can run on Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and if it would not, it would not have been prompted in Software Update.

Basic Mac OS X Graphical User Interface (GUI) Elements
    clickable for bigger picture
    [​IMG]

Go to Finder, open the Applications folder (CMD+SHIFT+A, or via the Sidebar) and scroll down to where Safari is listed. If there is only one Safari listed, click on it once and press CMD+I and tell us what it says behind VERSION:
    [​IMG]

----------

When you look at post #13, there is an embedded video showing you how and also a guide linked to via the "screenshots" link.

Anyway, if you cannot click that or watch that, you use CMD+SHIFT+3 to shot the entire screen (not necessary in most cases) or use CMD+SHIFT+4 and use the mouse to drag around the area you want to shoot. The screenshots get saved as PNG on your Desktop.

As you also seem to have problems navigating Mac OS X:
    To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

16. mousemaker thread starter macrumors newbie

I am so so sorry that I cannot communicate properly with you. I am more than a little frustrated. I got the shot but now don't know how to get it to you. This is exactly what it says. You cannot use this version of Safari because you only have OSX 10.6.8 and it requires OSX 10.8 or higher. Lord I hope you get this message. Each time I press submit reply I lose you again. I am not "getting the hang of this" at all.

----------

Safari only shows up under Devices not Applications. There are two of them and both are 5.1.7 (the Newest Version)

17. simsaladimbamba

I guess, this is your first forum experience?

(it was linked to in post #12)

But can you at least go to the Applications folder as asked before in post #15 and tell us the Safari version?

Can you expand on that further?
    Once you read a reply and either hit the QUOTE or POST REPLY button, a new site has to be loaded (like if you click on a link on a news site or any other site), thus the thread "disappears". Once you finished your reply and click SUBMIT, a new site has to be loaded again, this time with your reply attached to the thread.

Or do you mean something else? Like with bad reception and a cellphone? If so, that should not happen here.

----------

So you downloaded them from Apple directly and did not use Software Update?

Those are installers and not the actual applications.

Do you have Private Messages enabled? I just ask in order to help you maybe via TeamViewer, which allows me to remotely connect you to your Mac and show you around a bit, if that would be okay for you. It needs you to download and install the linked application though and tell me the connection details, which would be best handled via Private Message (PM).

Installing Applications in Mac OS X

18. krravi macrumors 65816

You know I remember seeing the same in my MBA before I did all the updates. Cant remember the exact version though...

What the OP is saying that Yahoo WebMail doesn't work on certain version of Safari. I experienced the same a while ago. But there was a link in the bottom that took you back to Yahoo's previous version.

I believe the new site is using CSS heavily but still not sure why it wouldn't work on a certain version of Safari.

19. mousemaker thread starter macrumors newbie

OK. I downloaded Team Viewer. I also enabled the PM.

20. simsaladimbamba

To look at PMs, you can go to them here (click on image for larger version):
    [​IMG]

21. kage207 macrumors 6502a

You know the Genius Bar is free... :confused:

You only pay when you have a hardware issue. Second, if you got Apple Care, it's free to call them. (Again why AppleCare is great for a Mac and even more so for an inexperienced user.)

Also, you should do research on the internet of what your problem is. I mean, just look. That's how I solve all my problems.

22. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Isn't this the Internet:confused:

Useless Post, he's asking for solutions, don't you think he's not researching?

23. kage207 macrumors 6502a

I think he isn't. As he can't even correctly explain his problem. He can't seem to put together a well formed paragraph to explain exactly what happened. Yes, he might be frustrated, yes he might be new but one needs to think logically when trying to communicate with others. I don't even understand him. I've tried to logically go through his posts to help though reconstructing his problem seems very flawed.

The reason I say he isn't using the internet is because he hasn't given us any direction of his problem as to what others are saying on the problem either beyond that of this website. This website should NOT be his first stop to gather information on his problem.

His first stops need to be a simple Google search, Apple's Support page on their website, or Yahoo Mail Support page or even just restoring the computer as you should always back up before making any major changes.

Stop being a droid, be logical, don't be afraid to educate yourself, don't be afraid to fail, learn to communicate as together we are better.

Also, if he is so worried about making sure he can just have access to his Yahoo mail, why not learn about the software provided? Apple provides a Mail client. After getting his so needed email, he can then worry about his Safari problem because he still has access to FireFox and the amazing ability to search the web.

Wow! A Google search has given an awesome site that I can use to educate myself!

Check it out:
    http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/ma...ser-01.html;_ylt=Am6VsrXO0aVAqy2n6.YdJO4unCN4
    http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/ma...mon-02.html;_ylt=AnOW1NeC_CvXVSe6QBTuzJEI4SV4
    http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/settings/settings-09.html
    http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/

Educate first. If you can't solve, then ask logically by referencing the information you have used to educate yourself so others may understand the problem.

Communication is key. Yes, MacRumors is the Internet. Just not the first place you turn to.

24. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Didn't want to be rude, I was just saying the guy needs help.

I agree though his initial post was all over the place, but I do understand his problem, it has nothing to do with yahoo, his Safari Browser is not working from what I read.

If he needs it to work again he should download Safari 5.x.x from Apple's Server and reinstall or Safari 6, that should also work.

25. pgiguere1, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013

pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

From what I understand, OP wanted to use Yahoo Webmail but got an error message from Yahoo saying his browser is not supported and that he needs to update to a more recent version. He then installed a Safari version that was meant to work only on Mountain Lion (6.0.2) but he has Snow Leopard, and now can't even launch Safari.

He wants to revert back to his older version of Safari (5.1.7) so that it works again under Snow Leopard. My guess is that he downloaded Safari for Mountain Lion from an external website such as MacUpdate or CNET.

If I'm getting this right, I would suggest downloading the Snow Leopard compatible version (click to download) and overwrite the version you currently have installed.

Also, next time, to avoid those kind of problems, don't update your Apple software by downloading from websites, but instead click "Software Update..." from the Apple menu in the top-left corner of your screen.

[​IMG]