Downloading Files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by joshpark, Jul 25, 2007.

1. joshpark macrumors newbie

Hello, I just bought a macbook and this is the first time that I am using the Mac OS. In windows, when you download a file, it asks you where to download that file. And you can browse to the folder you want to download in and you choose it.

However, in Mac, when I download a file, it just gives you the choices of Network, the HD, Pictures, Applications, and etc. Just the BIG folders. But I cannot choose to save, let's say a picture file, within a folder that is within the Pictures folder. Is there an option to change the save method so I can choose a more specific place in which to download files?

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

You should have the option to download a file to any location you'd like. For example, Ctrl-Option-Click on a picture and select "Download Linked File As..." and then navigate to whichever folder you'd like.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Click on the blue arrow next to the file name to be give free reign of all the folders on your Mac. :)

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Click the large blue square arrow button to the right of where you enter the filename.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hhhmmm i thout it would automatically save to the desktop... thats where i would reccommend to save it, and then you can move it from there

6. joshpark thread starter macrumors newbie

OOOH LOL OMG. I thought that arrow was for like selecting names or something. I only used the box beneath where you type the file name. Thank you!

7. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Safari > Preferences > Save downloaded files to.

There you can select the download destination. Desktop is the default.