Downloading torrents

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by TSX, Aug 11, 2010.

1. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Is there any other alternatives to dTunes to download torrents? Or does anyone know how to get dTunes working, i already have mobile terminal 426.

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

3. socco macrumors regular

Is it really? That doesn't seem to make much sense.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

d/l torrents yes! ;)

5. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Nothing wrong with talking about torrents as far as I know.. But of course this place has become full of double standards of late. It's OK to talk about what app you will use to steal tethering from AT&T or who's ever provider your using but it's not OK to talk about stealing an app from a developer (don't take that the wrong way I DON'T condone either of them) but they are the same thing.

6. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

There is nothing wrong with torrents, the dev team uses it to distribute their software, plus theres alot of legal stuff on there too. How do think upcoming artist put out there music?

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

if your talking legal torrents then my apologies. we both know both are available.

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Besides the fact that using the Data I already paid for the way I want it is not stealing (stealing not the same as braking an agreement), talking and using torrent for file distribution have nothing wrong.

To the OP, besides dtune I haven't seen anything else out there, I've been trying to get it working as well. keep me post it if you get it.

9. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Torrents are as morally right or wrong as the individual makes them.

10. macattack87 macrumors member

every1 in this forum needs to stop snapping at people for talking about gray area things like this

there are legitimate uses for torrents

there are even legitimate uses for installous

I'm sick of seen some poor kid as a question only to have someone reply to them with nasty remarks about how bad/immoral it is

either answer their question or keep your opinion about morality/legality to yourself

ever think about those who use installous for its INTENDED purpose
    to demo apps before they waste money on them since apple's store lacks a refund policy and true demos of all the apps

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    Not everything distributed thru torrents is illegal.

12. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Give me a break. While I agree tethering should be free, it isn't and you are using something you did not buy the rights to use. It's the same with cracked apps you are using something you didn't pay for.

13. Baggy Spandex macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

There are absolutely legitimate uses for torrents and Installous.

For example, I use NewsRack for my RSS feeds. The latest update was absolutely AWFUL. I used Installous to go back to my previous version.

Use wisely and reserve judgement.

14. macattack87 macrumors member

couldn't of said it better myself

15. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

Am I missing something? Why would you torrent from your iphone?

16. Love Juice macrumors regular

torrents suck unless they're private.

usenet is usually better alternative if you need anything

17. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

uremote and torrentula are my favs, though both are clunky.

18. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Believe that you want to believe, I already paid for my data, They actually charge me for it in advanced, so I can use it whatever I want. The point is breaking an agreement is not the same as stealing, people breaks agreement all the time, Divorces, Leases, etc.

19. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

Do these work on 4.0?

20. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

That's where you're wrong again but I'm glad you brought up leases. You seem to think you own your data but you don't. Your paying to use, aka lease, your carriers data and like your said about the TOS you can't use it "whatever I want". If you could use it however you want then they wouldn't have made you sign a contract. Just like how you can't do anything you want with a leased vehicle or you are legally liable to pay for damages. If AT&T could prove definitively in court that you have been tethering without paying for it, you would be legally liable to pay the service you "stole". Now you might get stuck on the word 'stealing' but a thief is a thief.

By your same logic I can buy and app, program, music CD or movie and do what ever I want with them, I can make copies of them to give to friends because I can do whatever I want with them. But just like your data plan you didn't buy the right to use any of them however you want.

21. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

22. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

that is still not stealing, you are missing the point.

And yes...it not illegal to share you music or CD with your families or friends it is build in on ITunes... Distributing, reselling it or publicly displaying is. Look it up, that is cover under the law by "Fair Use"

You can read it yourself at the US copyright Office website.

By the way..you can also buy an App and installed it in multiple devices as long as you use the same ID, and it is perfectly legal and allow by the law and Apple itself (that is all besides the point, but seen you decided to bring the "app, programs and music" issue)

23. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

after reading through some rather dry arguments, this was a laugh worthy post....
    now, flame my pretties!

24. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Once again you getting hung up on semantics of one word! So instead of refuting anything you move on to "fair use" which you don't seem to actually have a understanding of. So your not 'stealing' data you just unlawfully gaining access to something you did pay for. It's a bit of a mouthful but being as how you get hung up on that one word. In the end your using something you didn't pay to use and AT&T is out $20/month, call it what you want.

25. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I'm not sure where you are getting that I am "unlawfully gaining access to something you did pay for". I paid $30 a month to AT&T for having Data on my Phone and that is what I am doing. I am lawfully and rightfully accessing the data service I pad that company for. At the end... AT&T is trying to charge me $20 a month without offering me anything in return. Yes..I am breaking the Agreement I am not stealing. If you have an agreement with your landlord to No have pets in your apartment and them you get a cat, you and no tell the landlord, that is not stealing, that is breaking an agreement and you are liable for the damage as you said...the same way I am liable if AT&T decided to come after me The point is...i am not stealing anything from AT&T.

On the fair use matter, you are the one who doesn't have a understanding of it, you clearly said that you couldn't make copies for your friends and family of a CD or music or app you bought where is clearly legal to do that (unless you make millios of copies claiming they all are your friends). I know what point you are trying to make, but breaking a TOS is different from stealing.