Downloads without permission

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Tech198, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

I just woke my iPhone up today after a charge, and found that i got a dialog saying "iOS is ready to be installed"

The detail section confirmed it has indeed been downloaded without my permission

I have never done software update today at all and choose not to update. Is there a way to reclaim this wasted space ?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

This started with iOS7, I believe you should be able to remove it by . Select settings, general, usage, manage storage when the app list loads, you should see ios8, select this and then delete.

3. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

Its ok thanks... You have to restart too, then the space is freed... With no apps installed i see 11.3 Gig free.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I applied the update, so I have no experience with removing it. I found the steps on google :)

Glad it worked out for you.

5. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

Ios8 downloaded onto my phone and 2 iPads without my permission.

Yes, I had auto downloads and background app refresh turned off.

This unauthorised use of my internet account should be illegal.

It is an abuse.

First the force-fed U2 album, now this.

What next?

6. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

Just did a factory reset of my phone to see, and to see the difference, does still take up 1.1MB even though u remove it from usage.

7. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

I have reported the issue to Apple Support, they seemed surprised, have reported to their engineering staff and will get back to me in 3 days.

I will be asking for compensation for the unauthorised use of 3GB of my data.

8. DJLl macrumors newbie

Download without permission

I also noticed that my phone had an iOS8 update on it today ("downloaded"), even though all automatic download options are turned off in iTunes preferences. I went to apple.com/feedback to register a complaint, and found (after completing the form), that there is no "submit" button on the page. Very clever.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

None of this is new and has been like this for some time, at least iOS 7 and I believe even before that in iOS 6 if not even 5. At least as of iOS 7.1 you can delete the downloaded update.

10. blueiphone5c macrumors newbie

I manually updated my 5c. But I have been getting random downloads of apps too. Is this a glitch?

11. I7guy macrumors G5

Really, my 5s notified me of a update without downloading anything.

12. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Nope.

13. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

GLWT. Are you sure it's not in the TOS?

14. Beelzbub macrumors regular

After you remove the downloaded update, does it come back the next time you plug your iPhone or iPad in to charge? Guess I will find out, my 5S has been off the charger for over a day and will need to be charged tonight. My iPad has been off the charger all week and I am still at 70% battery, so I guess I will find out the next time I plug it in and let it charge. Would stink if it re downloads every time and you have to keep removing it. It would be nice if Apple did not force the download and just give us a choice. For me iOS 8 has been buggy on my 5S and my iPad, I had to restore iOS 7 and been holding off updating again until Apple releases an update to iOS 8.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

Hopefully it doesn't come back, otherwise it's a rather poor implementation.

16. Saffy66 macrumors newbie

Saffy66

You've just solved the mystery of how I ended up with a mystery U2 album I didn't buy or request... I just deleted it.

17. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

I have talked to Apple Support about this. They assure me that auto downloads of OS only occur if:

your device is on wifi, plugged into power, and there is enough space on your device for it.

So, I am charging devices overnight with wifi turned off, then unplug power when i turn wifi back on in the morning. Apart from my phone, which stays on 3G and an iPad that has a sim card and can stay on 3G, as the auto downloads can't happen over 3G.

But if on wifi and plugged into power, the download can occur any time.

18. jeremysteele macrumors 6502

There's already been a class-action filed over this issue (started in iOS 7). I highly doubt they'll report anything, since Apple is already aware customers are ticked.

Fact is, in the ToS it blankly says your available disk space does not include the space the OS uses. An update is considered part of the OS.

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

Not sure that's really part of space OS uses. It's part of space that OS can download stuff to, but that basically means all free space falls under that and the OS technically can use all the free space it wants, right?

20. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

Hmmmm. Well, i have a solution now, but I had to come here and also call Apple Support to find it.

21. afsnyder macrumors 65816

It's free. Ignore it or install it and get on with your other first world problems. Hate that your toilet flushes faster than you expected? :confused:

(Sorry if this is offensive, its meant to put these issues perspective)

22. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

You are one of those people who only ever see anyone from your minuscule perspective. You also have difficulties with comprhension because you have launched into this offensive response without comprehending what I have said.

Here it is FOR THE LAST TIME!

DOWNLOADING IS THE ISSUE NOT INSTALLING OR DELETING. FREE, IS IRRELEVENT.

3 devices downloading 3GB of data on a small capped system IS AN ISSUE FOR ME. if that is not an issue for you, well that's very nice for you. Don't judge everyone else's situation by your own.

If your internet is so fast, you should have time to learn some manners!

23. Tech198, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014

Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

Yes, this is my third time i got it. Dealing with support over this.

Alternatively, switch to 3g before u plug in, since large updates don't download over cellular.

24. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

Yes, but your have basically got space u cannot get back again... 500MB approx. in this case on my 5s so , yes to another poster, space is relevant here too.

Unless you restart your phone back to factory defaults that, its the only way..

Tip,, switch to Airplane mode before u charge. I overlooked this twice, and i payed the price.

25. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, as I mentioned, as of iOS 7.1 the download can be deleted.