Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zippster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
now I'm sure its not for everyone, but this year I've decided to downsize from the XS Max to the XS (or whatever its going to be called)

the reason being, ive been buying new iPhones every every year since the dawn of time and have always bought the Plus size due to usually having had a killer feature (like better camera etc) but it seems nowadays the XS has the same features and DPI but just in a slightly small form factor and up to 1 hour loss in battery life..

don't get me wrong I love my XS max but its just annoying me the size and weight of the thing! and its just awkward to fit in my jeans/trousers without looking like I have a large phone in my pocket.

I loved my X, and jumped at the chance for a XS Max however I think ill go back to a normal size for a year then maybe go back to a MAX for iPhone 12.

anyone else feeling like this? not looking to get into a bun fight, just my thoughts.

im ready for a new phone and iOS 13 !

Reactions: Nhwhazup

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
I've been saying this for the last few years myself, BUT, the screen on my Max is absolutely phenomenal, not to mention the battery life. In a way I'm hoping those new rumors of a bigger Max version next year doesn't happen because then I'll have an even bigger iPhone in my pocket. Oh well, guess there's worse addictions out there...

Reactions: Tsepz and zippster

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
In a way I'm hoping those new rumors of a bigger Max version next year doesn't happen because then I'll have an even bigger iPhone in my pocket.
I thought that one was called iPad mini? :-D Anyway. I just downsized from a 7+ sized Android phone to a 7 and I'm happy. I don't miss the big screen as much as I thought I would. I'm using MessagEase for the keyboard, so I’m not struggling with tiny buttons. It makes a big difference. Text is smaller, but it's easier to hold a 130 gr phone up in front of my face for a long time than a 200gr phone. The weight difference, for me, is much more important than the smaller screen.

zippster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
Thanks guys sounds like I’m not alone! If there is a ‘killer feature’ I could be persuaded to keep to the Max size but no way could I go bigger.. I have become bored with the phone now I’m ready for a new one... roll on September

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I'm still on the 7-Plus, but am also considering buying the smaller of this year's Xs successors. I like big screens, but I wonder if maybe I would like human-sized portability even more. It's a tough call.

zippster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
I'm still on the 7-Plus, but am also considering buying the smaller of this year's Xs successors. I like big screens, but I wonder if maybe I would like human-sized portability even more. It's a tough call.

For you it’s perfect as the screen size is bigger but formfactor slightly smaller win win for you

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I’ve had big phones for as long as I can remember and I simply cannot get enough of the little beasts, I will continue down the Max/Plus path.

I love the size and screen on my XS Max, but I will not be mad if Apple a 6.7inch Max model next, I will lap it up

Loving the huge display on the OnePlus 7 Pros, looking forward to more 6.7inch display phones between late this year and 2020.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
I thought that one was called iPad mini? :-D Anyway. I just downsized from a 7+ sized Android phone to a 7 and I'm happy. I don't miss the big screen as much as I thought I would. I'm using MessagEase for the keyboard, so I’m not struggling with tiny buttons. It makes a big difference. Text is smaller, but it's easier to hold a 130 gr phone up in front of my face for a long time than a 200gr phone. The weight difference, for me, is much more important than the smaller screen.

Funny you mention the iPad mini, I have one, and that's mainly what I use around the house. If I only had bigger pockets, it'd be my daily driver, LOL. I do agree, the smaller phones aren't bad at all, I just like the extra screen real estate of the Max. Easier to view the content for me at least. After turning 40 some years ago, it's been downhill ever since!
[doublepost=1560881612][/doublepost]
Thanks guys sounds like I’m not alone! If there is a ‘killer feature’ I could be persuaded to keep to the Max size but no way could I go bigger.. I have become bored with the phone now I’m ready for a new one... roll on September

That's what I liked about this generation of iPhones, you can get a size more comfortable for yourself without sacrificing any of the bells and whistles of a larger phone. Smart move on Apple's part. Hopefully they continue with this years models.

Last edited:
Reactions: zippster

igroeg

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2019
I concur that the plus sized phones are a nuisance. But the big screen is addictive. My wrists are wasted though, lol.. wish I could go back to a smaller phone, but.. who knows.

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
Funny you mention the iPad mini, I have one, and that's mainly what I use around the house. If I only had bigger pockets, it'd be my daily driver, LOL. I do agree, the smaller phones aren't bad at all, I just like the extra screen real estate of the Max. Easier to view the content for me at least. After turning 40 some years ago, it's been downhill ever since!
Yeah, I know what you mean. I even tried my iPhone 7 in zoomed in mode first. But it looks strange in some apps. I found it works better to just hold it closer and to take some time to let my eyes adjust to the distance. I should wear my reading glasses more often but I’m too lazy to carry them around :)

Reactions: DevinNj

kargurin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
Of course downsizing is not for everybody. That is why there are so many phone sizes to accommodate preference. There is no good bad right wrong. There is the market and models to fit segments. It doesn’t have to be more complicated than that.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Yeah, I know what you mean. I even tried my iPhone 7 in zoomed in mode first. But it looks strange in some apps. I found it works better to just hold it closer and to take some time to let my eyes adjust to the distance. I should wear my reading glasses more often but I’m too lazy to carry them around :)
I hear you on the glasses! For me getting old is no joke, at this rate, one day I suspect I'll be carrying a 26" screened device.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
I sold a 6.7” android device to part fund my Xs max. There is barely anything in it but I do kinda miss the slightly larger display. There was a teardrop notch and a slight chin (only slightly bigger than xsm) to contend with but it was simply a stunning display which has now given me hankerings for OnePlus 7P & similar

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
now I'm sure its not for everyone, but this year I've decided to downsize from the XS Max to the XS (or whatever its going to be called)

the reason being, ive been buying new iPhones every every year since the dawn of time and have always bought the Plus size due to usually having had a killer feature (like better camera etc) but it seems nowadays the XS has the same features and DPI but just in a slightly small form factor and up to 1 hour loss in battery life..

don't get me wrong I love my XS max but its just annoying me the size and weight of the thing! and its just awkward to fit in my jeans/trousers without looking like I have a large phone in my pocket.

I loved my X, and jumped at the chance for a XS Max however I think ill go back to a normal size for a year then maybe go back to a MAX for iPhone 12.

anyone else feeling like this? not looking to get into a bun fight, just my thoughts.

im ready for a new phone and iOS 13 !
Nope, love the size of the Max.

addey

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2016
Currently using the XR and iPad mini combination which is working really well. Looks like ios13 is bringing the ability to adjust text size more easily which will be great for my 45+ eyes. I’m hoping this will allow me do downsize the the standard iPhone XI.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Eventually I’m going to downsize, I’ve owned the Plus iPhones for years and the Max, great phones by all means, but I mentioned already in another thread that I don’t care for carrying such large phone in my pocket, it’s cumbersome and obtrusive. I’d rather carry a smaller phone, and resort to my iPad/Mac if need be for a larger display for More viewability.

zippster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
Eventually I’m going to downsize, I’ve owned the Plus iPhones for years and the Max, great phones by all means, but I mentioned already in another thread that I don’t care for carrying such large phone in my pocket, it’s cumbersome and obtrusive. I’d rather carry a smaller phone, and resort to my iPad/Mac if need be for a larger display for More viewability.

yes I agree, ive recently purchased a iPad Pro 11 256 cellular, that im using more and more (due to bigger battery) so this enforces my decision to downsize..

Reactions: yaboid01 and npayme

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
yes I agree, ive recently purchased a iPad Pro 11 256 cellular, that im using more and more (due to bigger battery) so this enforces my decision to downsize..

And I base my downsizing on how I use my iPhone, which really is only used for weather/news/communication, that’s about it. I don’t game or watch movies on phone, which makes more sense for me to downsize and resort to having a larger display like my laptop/iPad.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I hear you on the glasses! For me getting old is no joke, at this rate, one day I suspect I'll be carrying a 26" screened device.

I'm in my early 50's and shocked at how bad my vision has become and how quickly that happened. I used to have perfect vision and now have to enlarge text all the time. No bueno.

I suppose that's an argument for sticking with the larger phone, but if I have to magnify everything anyway, then maybe it doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Gamer-Dad

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2018
Pasadena MD USA
Funny, as I always had the Plus size phones till the X launched. Switched to that, then when the XS Max came out I sold my X and bought that. Kept the Max for about a month till the XR came out and much preferred the XR size. Sold my Max, bought the XR, kept it till last month when I went back to an XS. Much prefer the size/weight of the XS. Don't miss the bigger screen, and it just feels great. My wife is complete opposite. She loves the Plus size phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.