Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
Same here with battery life concerns in the long term: it’s fine now, but will it be in a year or two?

Trade off of small phone I guess! I’ll make do and get battery replaced at Apple if there’s ever a major problem.
Well, we will see. I still think that 13 series will last longer than 12 series because of bigger battery and newer chip together. Hopefully it will be better than 12 mini after a year.

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
Well, we will see. I still think that 13 series will last longer than 12 series because of bigger battery and newer chip together. Hopefully it will be better than 12 mini after a year.
I've seen some people call the 13 the "12S". Like that's a problem! I've always preferred the S years: they've taken a new design, it's had a year in the field, and now they came out with something similar but that has addressed the glaring things. In this case, it was a better battery and better cameras. I'd much rather have the 13 mini than the 12 mini, from what I understand.

It does seem like "it's just a 12S" is meant as a warning to those that upgrade every year. Then I can see the point. But otherwise, yes, give me the 12S!

Reactions: lpc2 and prazakj

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
I've come to the early conclusion that I prefer Touch ID to Face ID. I might even prefer it by a lot. Granted, a year from now it might not be a big deal any more. And that particular issue will not be relevant to someone coming from a X or later: you're already used to it! But that's the one thing I miss, is Touch ID:

--Waking up the phone in the dark, it's simple to figure out the correct orientation. This will not be fixed by an under-screen fingerprint reader.
--Getting to the home screen from sleep requires one not-that-precise physical motion (rest thumb on Touch ID sensor, wait a quarter of a second). Face ID requires two (point phone at face, and swipe up), and the swipe requires some precision. This will also not be helped much by an under-screen print reader. I cannot just feel for the button.
--Apple Pay was much easier. I'm already holding the phone in an orientation where I can rest on the home button. Take phone out of pocket, hold near reader, rest thumb where it already is. On Face ID, it's take phone out of pocket, double-press the side button, possibly point phone at face, hold near reader.

That last one feels like the most "just get used to it." My instinct is to take out the phone and make a direct line to the reader. My instinct needs to be to take out the phone and hold it normally first, as I double-press. It's still more work.

I'm not considering the mask issue. I do own an Apple Watch, and generally it does a great job at auto-unlocking the phone for me when I have a mask on. BUT it does not (and should not) do so in an Apple Pay situation. There I MUST enter in my (11-digit) code. Now more often I just use the Watch itself, which I was doing sometimes anyway. But sometimes it's just easier to whip out the phone.

This area is the ONE THING that I really feel I've taken a step back with the 13 mini. Otherwise I am a very satisfied customer!

Reactions: prazakj

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
I've come to the early conclusion that I prefer Touch ID to Face ID. I might even prefer it by a lot. Granted, a year from now it might not be a big deal any more. And that particular issue will not be relevant to someone coming from a X or later: you're already used to it! But that's the one thing I miss, is Touch ID:

--Waking up the phone in the dark, it's simple to figure out the correct orientation. This will not be fixed by an under-screen fingerprint reader.
--Getting to the home screen from sleep requires one not-that-precise physical motion (rest thumb on Touch ID sensor, wait a quarter of a second). Face ID requires two (point phone at face, and swipe up), and the swipe requires some precision. This will also not be helped much by an under-screen print reader. I cannot just feel for the button.
--Apple Pay was much easier. I'm already holding the phone in an orientation where I can rest on the home button. Take phone out of pocket, hold near reader, rest thumb where it already is. On Face ID, it's take phone out of pocket, double-press the side button, possibly point phone at face, hold near reader.

That last one feels like the most "just get used to it." My instinct is to take out the phone and make a direct line to the reader. My instinct needs to be to take out the phone and hold it normally first, as I double-press. It's still more work.

I'm not considering the mask issue. I do own an Apple Watch, and generally it does a great job at auto-unlocking the phone for me when I have a mask on. BUT it does not (and should not) do so in an Apple Pay situation. There I MUST enter in my (11-digit) code. Now more often I just use the Watch itself, which I was doing sometimes anyway. But sometimes it's just easier to whip out the phone.

This area is the ONE THING that I really feel I've taken a step back with the 13 mini. Otherwise I am a very satisfied customer!
I never once looked back at Touch ID, maybe at the start of the pandemic when I didn’t own Watch at that time. But agree with you in principle. And don‘t forget that you have an iPhone mini, not regular one, which you can’t operate this simply in one-handed situation. It’s just for now there is no place for Touch ID on iPhones, except in future under the display. I think that’s based on quality of the sensor which was one of the biggest issue Apple solved with even first version of Touch ID. I loved ’buttonless’ Touch ID on iPhone 7 and newer. It was the best. For example personally I miss 3D Touch which I never thought I would ever say.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
I just got my iPhone 13 in pink and first impressions. Wow, I guess I really did miss the big screen. the weight feels good and it just feels perfect in the hand. I love the pink color so much. I’m thinking I may end up selling my mini.

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
I just got my iPhone 13 in pink and first impressions. Wow, I guess I really did miss the big screen. the weight feels good and it just feels perfect in the hand. I love the pink color so much. I’m thinking I may end up selling my mini.
I’m glad you tried that. Happy for you. For me it’s absolutely amazing how mini is so gorgeous. I really missed this smaĺer form factor.

Reactions: heyyitssusan

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
I’m glad you tried that. Happy for you. For me it’s absolutely amazing how mini is so gorgeous. I really missed this smaĺer form factor.
Thanks! Yeah the mini is a beautiful phone, I have it in blue and the blue is really gorgeous this year. I’m glad you are enjoying yours as well. We are both happy with our devices!

ginofresh

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2017
Thinking about switching from the 13 pro max to the 13 mini, but I am scared as I keep hearing there won’t be a mini 14? So the way I feel is why should I buy and be in love with this phone when it won’t keep being updated?

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
Thinking about switching from the 13 pro max to the 13 mini, but I am scared as I keep hearing there won’t be a mini 14? So the way I feel is why should I buy and be in love with this phone when it won’t keep being updated?
It propably won’t. But I think Apple will eventually upgrade mini from time to time. Not every year but sometimes they upgrade the internals. For example many would like to switch to mini but only if it has a Pro camera setup, So I don’t think mini will go away for good after 13 mini. As was a case with iPad mini. ? But it also depends in your case if you are happy with 13 Pro or not. ?

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
Does anyone have doing the opposite switching from 12/13 Pro to 12/13 Mini?
13 Pro is so appealing (Promotion, battery life, design)
How big its is in comparison of Mini?

Reactions: BrianSoCal

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
Does anyone have doing the opposite switching from 12/13 Pro to 12/13 Mini?
13 Pro is so appealing (Promotion, battery life, design)
How big its is in comparison of Mini?
As I had 13 for more than a week, I can tell you my experience. Last year I has 12 and 12 mini also. But in both cases I returned to smaller version. I just like to control my iPhone mostly with one hand and not both of them. And for many daily tasks, I’m sitting before my computer. Was a 13 better for typing both hands? Yes. Was i better for a longer battery life? Of course. Was it bigger to carry around? Also yes. But for me personally, I wasn’t using it that much with other devices and one-handed typing wins me everytime. As long as you ask about 13 Pro, just ask yourself about these things: do you take a lot of pictures? Do you want macro-capable-shooting-iPhone? Do you want long battery lige because you do all your daily things on a phone? Does size matter to you? Does it weight? You can get used to anything after a while so you firstly has to answer yourself about that and then you can decide what’s best for you. Hopefully this helps.

Reactions: BrianSoCal

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
How big it is in comparison of Mini?
If its really bigger i would not switch
It’s big enough to me. Maybe for you and your hands would be okay, but I just couldn’t operate with it with one hand, which is crucial for me. ? Here’s a picture (taking with iPad Pro) of a case for 13 and 13 mini. It doesn’t LOOK as much of a difference, but personally it FEELS like a big difference. Maybe you would be OK, I don’t know.

Attachments

• 6F4950B4-F74D-43D9-B618-0EDB84E9FB59.jpeg
    6F4950B4-F74D-43D9-B618-0EDB84E9FB59.jpeg
    297 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
I am seriously considering downsizing to the iPhone 13 mini this year. The reason is because I am using my mobile phone less for video content and lengthy web browsing. Instead it is being used for calls/texts/WhatsApp and the occasional quick email.

My current phone is a brick-sized Samsung Note 10+ with a 6.8” screen. My iPad Mini 6 now fulfils my browsing/video consumption needs on the go. So my phablet-sized phone is overkill. Plus, I would really like a small phone that is discreet in a suit jacket pocket (which the Note 10+ just is not). I also like the idea of using the phone comfortably one-handed.

I am interested in knowing experiences from those who downsized to the mini form-factor, both good and bad:
- whether you made the right decision, or regret it and went bigger again
- whether there were any issues you didn’t expect, or benefits you didn’t expect
- what you thought about the battery life

I’m interested in the perspectives of current (or former) 13 mini or 12 mini users. Thank you in advance.
I downsized from an iPhone 11 Pro Max to a 13 Mini and the only thing I miss is the weight, and that's a good thing. I have an android phone too and "downsized" to the Samsung Flip 3. Gotta love how much better they both fit in my pocket. I never did do video streaming on a phone though..

Battery life isn't quite as good, but it's not horrible either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.