Dr. House has ruined my MacBook Pro!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Merkava_4, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Merkava_4, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2011

Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

Santa Rose MBP purchased on 30 July 2007. Model A1226 with the Nvidia 8600M GT GPU (which has been replaced!!)

This latest logic board is only one week old. Everything was fine until I started watching Dr. House tonight.

The first picture is the Dr. House webpage.

The second picture is my Google home page immediately after leaving Dr. House.

The last picture is when everything is normal after a restart.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

3. Ronin.X macrumors newbie

4. Merkava_4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Would you guys say that streaming video is stressing the GPU out?

5. wct097 macrumors 6502

Looks about like my Dell when my 8600m crapped out the first time. If you're not under Applecare anymore, I can attest to the 'oven trick' working a couple times or more.

Not even. It's just a faulty GPU.

6. Merkava_4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Again? I just got it out of the Genius room last week on 03 February with a new logic board. :confused:

7. wpotere Guest

Does not mean that it isn't a bad board. It happens....

8. mirrorbox macrumors newbie

9. chaoticbear macrumors 6502

You know that it takes 8 misdiagnoses, a seizure and your MBP almost dying before the Genius realizes what's wrong as he's eating a turkey sandwich.

10. wct097 macrumors 6502

Logic board as in motherboard, or logic board as in GPU card? I don't pretend to know how Apple handles those things, but I wouldn't put it past a tech to put a 'used' GPU in to replace a bad one.

11. chrfr macrumors 603

They're probably all "reworked" boards that have a replaced GPU on them. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that there are any good Nvidia 8600M chips, so it's not at all surprising that these will continue to fail. Bring it back, it's under the repair warranty so it will be covered regardless of whether or not it's the GPU.

12. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

13. el-John-o, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011

el-John-o macrumors 65816

House: Chase, do an echo, foreman, Biopsy the brain, Masters...... Help chase.

-Next Scene-

House: Something about some scheme somewhere
    Wilson: Some sort of philosophical statement that has nothing to do with medicine.

-House storms out-

House: Chase! Stop the Echo! It's Lupus! Also, his GPU has failed again, put him on the donor list.

Edit: Heat could also play a major issue, especially if GPU/CPU intensive stuff (Crash.. er.. Flash) is running, the computer acts that way, a restart (and therefore cool down) resolves the issue. I would try to get to the fan, remove it, and there will be a 'duct' leading out over the heatsink, pull all of the dust, lint, small children, etc. that gets sucked up in there. The genius may have done that, but if not, it could cause your Mac to overheat. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that model is no different than the current ones (and most notebooks) in that it only has one fan.

Beyond that, google around for some OSX tools for checking your temps, watch the GPU and CPU temp, anything over 80C would be a cause for concern, and worth mentioning on your next trip to the genius bar. Of course, you'll want to run a flash video or something to heat it up (or even better, a GPU benchmark tool, coupled with something like Prime95 to push the limits of both CPU and GPU at the same time to see how warm it gets.) Technically, that GPU can handle 95C without damage, but over 80C it's likely to produce artifacts and corrupted images.

-John

14. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

John, it's never lupus.

15. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Well, it is possible you got another bad GPU.

Good news is if this keeps happening, you might be able to convince Apple to just outright replace the macbook.

I met a guy who was extolling Applecare to me cause he had a brand new computer for free that replaced his almost three year old one through Applecare (I guess had enough issues they just issued him a newer computer or refund or something).

16. DemonBob macrumors member

17. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

Go break into their house and look for clues. Make foreman do it. He's black

18. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Run a complete blood count and a tox screen to check for any alcohol, amphetamines or opioids. Oh wait... Anyways this screams broken GPU...I don't think I could make my monitor look like that if I tried to create it myself. Funny I'm watching house on my MBP right now :p

19. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Use the paddles.

Seriously, take those photos back to Apple and let them know, professionally and without heat, that this is unacceptable.

You might want to wait until the current MBP supply crunch is relieved... especially if, as rumored, it's due to a model refresh. Not a huge rush if you just had the thing worked on a few days ago.

20. Merkava_4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It started acting up again tonight people - the second time since I've started this thread.

This time it was in the middle of reading a PDF on Adobe. :cool:

21. MoodyMedStudent macrumors member

Lol we have a course on professionalism and Dr. House is on the first slide.

... with a giant red X over him.

22. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

I'm afraid your Macbook Pro's kidneys are failing. ;)

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

24. neondrgns macrumors regular

neondrgns

doesn't look like a bad board to me, looks like your screen is dying. my monitor did the same thing.

25. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith