Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular drawing and sketching app Procreate Pocket for the iPhone can be downloaded for free this week through Apple's Apple Store app. Procreate Pocket has a wide range of painting, sketching, and drawing tools for making art on the iPhone.

On the iPhone 6s, it features 3D Touch pressure sensitivity, and it can be used with an Apple Watch for quick color selection. There's a full layering system, 18 layer blend modes, tools for adjusting hue, saturation, brightness, and curves, and more.

procreatepocket.jpg

To get the app, make sure to follow these instructions:

1. Open the Apple Store app.
  2. Tap "Stores" on the tab bar at the bottom of the app.
  3. Scroll down to "iPhone Upgrade Program."
  4. Swipe left three times until you see the Procreate icon.
  5. Tap the icon.
  6. Choose "Download now for free."
  7. When taken to the App Store, enter your password and then click "Redeem." The app will start downloading automatically.
Alternatively, the app can also be accessed by scrolling to the bottom of the "Featured" tab and tapping on the small banner that says "Download Procreate free."

Apple has offered several free apps through its own Apple Store app in the past, including Day One 2. The deal only pertains to the iPhone version of Procreate, normally priced at $2.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Drawing App 'Procreate Pocket' Available for Free Through Apple Store App

Reactions: sinsin07

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Great, thanks for the 'heads up'.

Also what's extra nice is that due to Apple being able to deal with the complexities of international laws regarding giveaways, U.S. residents who are 18 years of age or older are NOT the only people in the world eligible to benefit from this. ;):D

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Great, thanks for the 'heads up'.

Also what's extra nice is that due to Apple being able to deal with the complexities of international laws regarding giveaways, U.S. residents who are 18 years of age or older are NOT the only people in the world eligible to benefit from this. ;):D

Is it available in other countries? Let me know and I'll update the post :)

Mr Fide

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
Thank you for those detailed instructions, which confirmed for me that I am unable to follow detailed instructions.

I got stuck at
  1. Tap "Stores" on the tab bar at the bottom of the app.
Yeah, nah.

Then I switched to an iPhone.

I got stuck at

Yeah, nah.

At this rate I probably couldn't use ProCreate anyway.

But thanks again. Those really were good instructions.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Is it available in other countries? Let me know and I'll update the post :)

I'm pleased to say it worked here in the UK at least, yes. :)
[doublepost=1467248669][/doublepost]
Yeah, nah.

For me, I got to the Stores tab in the iPhone app, scrolled the bottom of the page, and then just had to swipe to the left for the page with the free app offer on. I tapped on that, then I got the big green download for free link as described. Perhaps the precise layout differs between countries.

Last edited:

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
So I'm redownloading the Apple Store app again then delete once I downloaded the app. The last time I did the same thing is with the Day One 2 app. :D

Reactions: AleXXXa

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
So I'm redownloading the Apple Store app again then delete once I downloaded the app. The last time I did the same thing is with the Day One 2 app. :D
I have downloaded about 8 or maybe more free apps in the app, before they used to a lot more apps, now it takes a while.
I thought the last one might have been the last, but its good to know they are still doing the free app!
I do the same thing w the starbucks app, w that one its almost weekly a free app.
[doublepost=1467256331][/doublepost]

You have to swipe from right to left on that picture of the 'iphone upgrade program picture" until you see the free app picture, should be the fourth pic.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
The App Store app for iPad seems to indicate the iPad version of procreate is also free, but once you redeem the code you apparently only get the iPhone version for free. Is that a glitch or am I missing something?

p6wRI2T.jpg

p11f0DK.jpg
I'm wondering that as well. I really wish the iPad version was free as well, but looks like it will only redeem the iPhone version. Oh well. I've been thinking of buying Procreate, might as well just do it, $6 is fair enough for great iPad software.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
For the UK change store to US then scroll down on Featured tab. You may also have to search for New York on the store tab. You'll see the Procreate link eventually! Worked for me and downloading now.

Muukkis

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2016
I'm pleased to say it worked here in the UK at least, yes. :)
[doublepost=1467248669][/doublepost]

For me, I got to the Stores tab in the iPhone app, scrolled the bottom of the page, and then just had to swipe to the left for the page with the free app offer on. I tapped on that, then I got the big green download for free link as described. Perhaps the precise layout differs between countries.

Other countries, change first country to United Kingdom (Account and bottom country).

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
For the UK change store to US then scroll down on Featured tab. You may also have to search for New York on the store tab. You'll see the Procreate link eventually! Worked for me and downloading now.
Worked fine for me in the UK without having to change location (link was about 3/4 the way down the page on the featured tab)

memco

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2008
Thank you for those detailed instructions, which confirmed for me that I am unable to follow detailed instructions.

I got stuck at
  1. Tap "Stores" on the tab bar at the bottom of the app.
Yeah, nah.

Then I switched to an iPhone.

I got stuck at

Yeah, nah.

At this rate I probably couldn't use ProCreate anyway.

Same issue for me. Perhaps it is 6S exclusive? I don't have a "Stores" tab nor is there an "iPhone Upgrade Program" showing in my app store at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.