Drawn back to iPhone despite being (theoretically) completely satisfied with Android?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Omega1300, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Omega1300 macrumors member

**I'm reposting this thread from the "alternatives to iOS forum", because I realized anyone in my situation might be back over on the iPhone forum...**

Anyone else in this situation?

I started with the iPhone 3GS. And I got the iPhone 4s. I was completely satisfied with both for longer than the two-year contract.

When the iPhone 5s was announced, I was swayed by Samsung's marketing and decided I wanted a larger screen with the Galaxy note 3.

I was satisfied for about three months, and I decided the phone was just too large, and since I had all the features turned off anyway it didn't make sense stick with it. I sold it and purchased the Moto X (with their cyber Monday pricing deal - enabling me to come out ahead in the money game), which is what I have currently.

The Moto X has fast updates, always listening feature, and active notifications which are amazing. I use them all the time and really like them. What's more, the phone is fast and smooth, I like Google play music, and pretty much all my apps are represented in the android landscape. What's more, it has a larger screen in a small pocketable size, and I love the Moto maker that allowed me to make a custom phone.

And yet... I find myself on swappa.com looking at iPhone 5s pricing. Wondering if the slightly reduced retail pricing is worth the risk of buying off the Internet. Or if, when the 6 is released, I should crazily consider buying it at full retail.

Because for some reason I can't really explain, I still want my iPhone. I don't honestly think it would do anything better than my Moto X, and probably some things worse than my Moto.

So - anyone else think like this and switch back?

2. liftheavybrah macrumors newbie

Yes I am the same. My first smart phone was a mytouch 3G and ever since then I was hooked to android. But I went to iPhone 4 when it came out and I kept going back and fourth. Now it's like I can't leave apple if I wanted to. I became so involved with iOS.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

All the time, judging from the number of members who have Androids and still visit the iPhone sub-forums.

4. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Just keep the moto x. Its a great phone, and you say your satisfied.

5. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Sorta. I had a Moto X too, and liked it a lot, but iPhone always kinda tugged at me. I loved the Moto X for most of the time I had it, but it had accumulated some lag throughout the OS (mostly with the keyboard) that was nagging at me. A restore probably would have alleviated it for awhile, but the lack of a consistent experience in android bothered me, not to mention the apps being just noticeably worse on android. Android has a lot of good apps, but the ones I use most (Tweetbot, Wikipanion, Messages, Mailbox, Vine, etc) either aren't on android or the android versions suck, so I got an iPhone 5c.

I tried so many different texting apps for Android. GO SMS, Textra, the default messaging app, Hangouts, Handcent, and not a single one of them satisfied me completely. Textra was by far the most featured while still being lightweight, but it was hideous and the animations were buggy. GO SMS was nice looking, but it had ads everywhere and lagged a lot. The default messaging app wasn't bad looking, but it had surprisingly little features. Hangouts is a ****ing MESS and isn't even worthy of being used. MMS is spotty if it works at all, it's slow, and the features are just missing or poorly integrated. Handcent is ****ing hideous and I can't believe people like the look of it. That's Android for you though, it appeals to so many more tastes.

I couldn't find a good third party wikipedia app on android. It was either unsupported, ugly, badly coded, or had no features (the official wikipedia app on android looks like it's on android 2.2). It's not as if it would be hard to make one for Android; it's that no one has. That was one of the things about Android I couldn't shake -- despite how "customizable" Android is, it was hard to find a third party app for a major website/media source that was worth an install.

Twitter apps on Android? Ugly or under-featured. Tweetcaster is disgusting looking, despite being the closest thing to Tweetbot on Android. Carbon? Falcon? Not even worth installing if you're anything of a power user.

Android is a pretty great OS. It's got iOS beat in some ways (notifications, functionality, sharing, price point (insofar as acquiring a device) free apps, etc) but I don't think it can match the consistency of iOS. When Android's built in apps reach the level of iOS, it'll become a much closer fight.

Android has more potential than iOS, but it's still gotta reach that potential. Android's design language is still inconsistently delivered across each app, while iOS (inconsistent in some regards) definitely drives home a much more consistent and thoroughly engrossing UI (just look at android icon sizes)

I'm rambling, but yeah.

6. Omega1300 thread starter macrumors member

I definitely agree with your opinion on their texting apps. Half the time I miss texts, or miss text images. Perhaps it's that lack of fluidity or polish that's truly bothering me.

7. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

yeah, that's what I missed most about iOS -- the consistency, especially in transitions, lack of lag..android you'd get lag in an app and you'd just never see it coming because it was so random. Happens so rarely on iOS that I don't even remember the last time it did.

Try textra though. I really liked how it would automatically turn on/off mobile data when sending/receiving an MMS (I kept data off at home to save battery)

8. Omega1300 thread starter macrumors member

I appreciate the suggestion, however I have tried textra (on the note 3). It's okay, but I didn't find it significantly better than hangouts or the default text option.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I am this way with my mini cooper. I have spent more money than I should have on repairs (nothing major, just annoyingly random little things adding up). And yet... I am looking at getting another mini as our second car.

I point this out because I know how you feel, all-beit in a different sense. You like what you like. Buy what makes you happy, assuming you can deal with the things you may have to give up as a result. So, I guess I should say, buy what makes you happiest.

10. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

yeah like I said I mainly used it because of the MMS feature.

11. Omega1300, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014

Omega1300 thread starter macrumors member

You're right, I do like what I like. It's funny because when I upgraded, my girlfriend said if I didn't get the iPhone, I'd regret it. She may have been right. :)

Half of me just feels like it's a waste to purchase an iPhone when I have a perfectly functioning android sitting here.

The other half of me says it's totally worth it to make the purchase just stop thinking about an iPhone. :)

Perhaps I should just hold out for the 6, and pull the trigger then.

12. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

That's why I haven't gone with an Android yet. While it would do everything that I would want it to, and maybe more... it doesn't have the finish that the iPhone has. And, I guess, I really value it even though both phones could do comparable tasks.

13. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Switched back and forth, usually lusting after a bigger screen, which meant Android. Last phone was the Galaxy S4, a nice phone, but I really like being back with Apple, using my Iphone 5S. When Apple brings out the bigger screen, I will jump.

14. Phone Junky macrumors 6502

I had an android. Was upgrade eligible when 5S was released. Picked up a 5 instead for the discounted $100. Then I grabbed a Moto X during the cyber Monday deal for $350. So for $450 I have both and just swap out the SIM card whenever the mood hits me.

15. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

op at this point in the game you already know what your getting with the 5S. Keep your current phone,it seems your happy with it anyway and see what iPhone 6 brings. It will probably blow android out of the water.

16. cynics macrumors G3

If you don't have a reason to switch but want to anyway then you are probably just into tech/gadgets like many of us here.

Nothing wrong with switching it up from time to time if you can afford it. Certainly worse hobbies out there.

17. kevroc macrumors 6502

I have the Note 3 and am thinking of switching back. I use media a lot and prefer iTunes. Media management/syncing on android is a joke. Gotta love MX player though over the iPhone video player. And right there is the problem. Some things are a lot better on the iPhone, and some things are better on Android. You just have to pick what's most important to you and then pick your phone from there. Unfortunately for me it seems to be split down the middle so I can never decide and end up switching back and forth constantly :)

The one benefit really though is that I can hold off a bit and buy the "other" phone much cheaper. For instance I just bought a 5s at a really good price and was able to do so because the Note 3 is good enough to hold me over. Also, looking at the Moto X and see they just started a sale so may look at that one too. So there are pro's and con's to not being able to decide...