Dreading the Mail.app 'upgrade'

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by j4mbo, Jul 12, 2011.

1. j4mbo macrumors newbie

Is anyone else worrying about the changes they've made to Mail?

I'm a heavy mail user and get probably at least a few hundred emails a day. I really like my current setup, and feel like the threaded emails are going to slow me down. Is there an option to revert back to Snow Leopard version?

2. tgt macrumors newbie

You can remove conversation view and revert Mail to the Snow Leopard layout if you'd prefer that.

3. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

Personally, I actually use mail after installing the GM.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Personally, I think the new Mail.app is way better than the old Mail.app found in Snow Leopard. I mean for one, we finally get three column view without having to download an add-on, conversation view makes things more simple and organized without affecting readability. I believe the core of Mail.app had been improved upon.

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

The new mail is definitely my favorite feature of Lion. Far better. My only complaint is the search interface is kinda cumbersome.

6. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

There is an option to "Use classic layout." Or you can just turn off the threaded view. It's just on by default now where it was off in Snow Leopard.

7. throttlemeister macrumors 6502a

The new Mail is by itself a reason to upgrade, imo.

8. haravikk macrumors 65816

I think that the conversation view is going to be a huge improvement in day-to-day use, especially if the collapsible quoted text works well, as I can't leave without threaded view these days as it's just a great way to see what has been said leading up to the latest message(s), without having to rely on participants to use sensible quoting.

As noted though, there are ways to turn all these new features off to stick with classic Mail, but I'd strongly recommend giving the new layout a chance as it seems much better overall.

9. AFPoster macrumors 65816

The new mail.app is probably the best thing in Lion right now, plus as others have said that reason alone is why I would upgrade.

10. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

OP. If you don't want it, don't upgrade. It's simple.

11. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

All the changes are optional - you can have mail in Lion look and behave exactly the same as mail in Snow Leopard. Having said that, if you take time to get used to it, you may find it's much better than the old one: When I first started using it, I turned off conversation view and enabled classic view so it looked like the Snow Leopard version.
    After a while, I turned off Classic view and started to like the new way of working.
    Finally, I turned on conversation view and now I'm used to it it works brilliantly: IMO, mail in Lion is, quite simply, the best version of Mail there has ever been

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Change can be difficult. I'm very comfortable with the current mail.app and I'm content to keep using it.

Given that some of my software is not yet compatible with Lion and I see little justification to upgrade, I'm not. My point here is, if you like the way things are in SL, stay on SL.

If there's some major features in Lion that you must have, then upgrade and reconfigure mail.app to be more like the way you want.

13. Dorv macrumors regular

Yeah, frankly, the Mail.App is the only front facing change in Lion that I LOVE.

Everything else is either just OK, or ridiculous (The new Spaces scheme, and the inability to customize it).

14. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

IMO I hated the older version, it was way to barebones for me.

15. patp Guest

I agree. I use Sparrow mail client now and like it much better. The new Lion mail app looks great and cannot wait to try it out.

16. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

One thing that really pisses me off about mail is the repeated password challenge, I've probably told mail to remember my password a million times. Still it keeps asking.

Did you have that problem?

17. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

Why not try looking in Keychain Utility to see if your Mac has multiple entries for your mail account, and just keep the one that is currently relevant? I've done that before when Safari would forget my Facebook credentials.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: And yes, I am really looking forward to the new Mail.app. I use the current version in SL a lot and I think any improvements are welcome. Not to say it's bad per se, but I think it could do with a bit of TLC, and this is what Lion promises.

18. FoxMcCloud macrumors 6502a

You'll be the only one then!

19. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

Agreed... try it before you diss it!

20. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

MAIL was the single biggest thing I was
    interested in LION for and it does not disappoint.

Mail has needed an overhaul for years. Under
    Snow Leopard I used SPARROW MAIL. Now under
    LION, Apple has created a mail program that rivals
    and surpasses Sparrow Mail.

Very strange to see anyone hating the new look
    and functionality, but it goes to show that not
    everyone will be happy with the improvements made.

21. FoxMcCloud macrumors 6502a

We should thank our lucky stars that they didn't make the UI look like a giant envelope or something in the same vein as iCal and Address Book!
    Mail for 10.8 will probably look like that :eek:

22. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Tried that too, not a big deal anymore. I am just sittin' here PATIENTLY waiting like everyone else...

23. funkahdafi macrumors 6502

that's not mail.app's fault. it's your mailserver. if you keep asking it for new mails too often (like once every minute), it might shut you out for a minute or two. in that case mail will prompt you for your password because it gets a access denied message from the server.

this is definiteley the case with google mail. set mail to check for new mails every 5 minutes and you won't see the password prompt again.

24. o'glory macrumors member

I've tried a few times to switch to the Mail.app, but I always go back to just checking my Hotmail. However, after upgrading to Lion, I think I'm going to switch back permanently to this.

25. noetus macrumors member

Mail search not working for me

I installed Lion (11A511) and am very frustrated with the Search in Mail. It just won't find messages. I can have 100 messages with 'Wonky' in the title and put 'Wonky' in the Search bar and it finds not a single one. I can have a message OPEN in front of me with 'John' as the sender and in the body of the message and putting 'John`in the search bar doesn't find any message at all.

I've tried looking through the options to see if I'm missing some sort of configuration but there don't seem to be any options for search.

Has no-one else had an issue like this? The search in SL Mail always worked wonderfully or me, finding everything.