macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Ah, could've given me credit:( I posted this an hour ago in software forum, lol

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
Dreamweaver.......... finally!!!!!!

At least Macromedia is kickin it into gear.

I wonder when they will announce it (aka say they'll ship it in 6 months)

all this waiting is starting to get annoying---but what's even more annoying is how ugly many of these programs look. why can' the developers try to make enhanced palletes? (i mean palletes that work more like os x and follow the suggested guidelines apple provides for developers)

at least they're trying

grouse

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2002
london
and regarding the education thing

Great idea, but they need to get on with it over in Europe too.

Also in the conference exhibitors guide to which ThinkSecret refers apple's listing is "Given the right opportunities, we believe every child can develop a love of learning.  We believe every teacher can stimulate young minds in ways that make a lasting difference. And we believe every school can raise achievement beyond what once seemed possible. Because we believe these things, Apple’s mission is clear: It’s our job to provide the very best tools for creating great opportunities. In Apple’s twenty-five years of partnership with educators, we’ve never been more committed to that mission than we are today."

all fine and dandy and great but micros**ts is"products & services to help schools build connected learning communities.", very dull but wait for ol' Michael Dell's "Computer hardware & solutions."

Colourful or what!

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
As ugly as Aqua can be

I haven't been too impressed with what I've seen of the new Flash and Dreamweaver. Their interfaces look like Macromedia just slapped on Aqua as an afterthought. It's good that they're familiar looking to those of us who've been working with them for the last couple of years, but I think Adobe has done a much better job with their updates.

erova

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2002
washington dc
dreamweaver MX or ultraDev MX

do you guys think that macromedia is still going to continue Dreamweaver, UltraDev, and CF Studio?

I've heard that CF Studio is now going to be phased out, whereas CF developers will now use UltraDev for a visual tool...so Dreamweaver will be just a front end tool and UltraDev will be the visual app developer???

i'm just curious because on these spymac screens there is the *application building* section where it supposedly brings up data bindings, components, etc...

i dunno, i'm not sure what to think of these screens...

anyone out there with a beta of DreamMX and/or UltraDev MX????

whfsdude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2002
Washington DC
Re: dreamweaver MX or ultraDev MX

Originally posted by erova
do you guys think that macromedia is still going to continue Dreamweaver, UltraDev, and CF Studio?

I've heard that CF Studio is now going to be phased out, whereas CF developers will now use UltraDev for a visual tool...so Dreamweaver will be just a front end tool and UltraDev will be the visual app developer???

i'm just curious because on these spymac screens there is the *application building* section where it supposedly brings up data bindings, components, etc...

i dunno, i'm not sure what to think of these screens...

anyone out there with a beta of DreamMX and/or UltraDev MX????
Looking into that now, I will let you know if can get a hold of it, I see Flash MX right now :) dl this sec

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
Re: As ugly as Aqua can be

Originally posted by Rower_CPU
I haven't been too impressed with what I've seen of the new Flash and Dreamweaver. Their interfaces look like Macromedia just slapped on Aqua as an afterthought. It's good that they're familiar looking to those of us who've been working with them for the last couple of years, but I think Adobe has done a much better job with their updates.
personally i feel adobe has done a crappy job of implementing aqua... i think the pallates icons are too crowded or have too small of icons

the dreamweaver ones have been thought out well--you have them with fold outs/downs or the normal pallate setup. i just don't like the way aqua has been implemented into the adobe products

i think people should follow apple's developer guidelines (the result is something like omniweb or apple's products--powerful yet simple)

[warning: the message above was not a threat, only an opinion--don't flame me over it... i forgot my extinguisher]

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
oh if you don't believe me... go try to use golive when you can get it--it has the WORST interface i've ever seen

small icons, text, everything

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: Re: As ugly as Aqua can be

Originally posted by kishba

personally i feel adobe has done a crappy job of implementing aqua... i think the pallates icons are too crowded or have too small of icons

the dreamweaver ones have been thought out well--you have them with fold outs/downs or the normal pallate setup. i just don't like the way aqua has been implemented into the adobe products

i think people should follow apple's developer guidelines (the result is something like omniweb or apple's products--powerful yet simple)

[warning: the message above was not a threat, only an opinion--don't flame me over it... i forgot my extinguisher]
None taken...everyone has their own opinion about how they like their programs to look.
I like Photoshops new looks a lot, and from what I've seen of other new Adobe products (LiveMotion, InDesign, Illustrator). I agree about GoLive, it's very crowded.

serpicolugnut

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2001
Atlanta, GA
Dreamweaver MX...

DreamweaverMX is both an upgrade to Dreamweaver and UltraDev. In other words, DWMX has all the functionality of UltraDev. I think with Adobe upping the ante with GoLive 6's backend functionality, Macromedia saw the need to have one web authoring product with the full back end functionality, like GoLive.

As for interfaces, I have used both GoLive6 and the new beta of Dreamweaver MX. Both have very good Aqua adoption - for carbon applications. Dreamweaver's new pallettes are nice - they allow much quicker arrangement than the standard tabbed pallettes.

I own both DW4 and GL4, so I'm obviously interested in both ugprades. For only $99, the GoLive ugprade is a much better value. I just hope Macromedia doesn't jack up their upgrade price on DWMX, like they've done with FlashMX. It seems that in in attempt to increase revenues, Macromedia is stuffing their products with high end functinality, and in process, pricing it out of the hands of many of it's users.

Skandranon

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2002
North Carolina
Aw, man. ThinkSecret took down the images of Dreamweaver MX! Did anyone set up a mirror site? Email me if you're afraid of getting the thread shutdown.

:(

whfsdude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2002
Washington DC
Originally posted by Skandranon
Aw, man. ThinkSecret took down the images of Dreamweaver MX! Did anyone set up a mirror site? Email me if you're afraid of getting the thread shutdown.

:(
lol I will prob have the app by the end of the week :)

cmoney

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2002
darn budget cycles!

man, don't adobe and macromedia know about budget cycles? we just bought 10 copies each of photoshop, golive, livemotion, dreamweaver, flash and fireworks from last year's budget. and except for golive and livemotion, they're all old versions now! and we just got them last month! if only they announced photoshop 7 at the end of last year. that would've let us put it on last year's budget even if we didn't get it till april. that's what's happening with golive and livemotion. we haven't even gotten the media yet!

has either adobe or macromedia announced any "if you've purchased xxx after february 1, you get xxx v+1 free"? hope so...

anyway, just ranting...we're probably gonna have to wait till next year to buy these apps now, with budgets shrinking after last year.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Re: darn budget cycles!

Originally posted by cmoney
man, don't adobe and macromedia know about budget cycles? we just bought 10 copies each of photoshop, golive, livemotion, dreamweaver, flash and fireworks from last year's budget. and except for golive and livemotion, they're all old versions now! and we just got them last month! if only they announced photoshop 7 at the end of last year. that would've let us put it on last year's budget even if we didn't get it till april. that's what's happening with golive and livemotion. we haven't even gotten the media yet!

has either adobe or macromedia announced any "if you've purchased xxx after february 1, you get xxx v+1 free"? hope so...

anyway, just ranting...we're probably gonna have to wait till next year to buy these apps now, with budgets shrinking after last year.
I don't see it as ranting, you have your say, I know I would be VERY pissed if that happened to me.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by madamimadamtimallen
What is the deal with MX, sounds like a bad nVidia card?
I agree.
I think they are trying to capitalize on the X P and OS X brands and move their products to one unified naming structure. Because who needs to remember that Flash is 5, Dreamweaver is 4, Director is 8, etc.?

It's the '90s all over again, everything will be Xtrem!!!

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

I agree.
I think they are trying to capitalize on the X P and OS X brands and move their products to one unified naming structure. Because who needs to remember that Flash is 5, Dreamweaver is 4, Director is 8, etc.?

It's the '90s all over again, everything will be Xtrem!!!
Well, I suppose, it is Macromedia for X/XP
Still.... it sucks arse