Drinking Coffee and Driving

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Recently we made two 14 hour drives out and back, taking one day off between drives. This is longer than I like to go. I did most of the driving with one 2 hr break about 5 hrs in. Usually 9 hrs is my preferred limit. Serious question- When driving and it's going to be a long day, should you precharge your coffee (drink it before the onset of fatigue) or wait until you start to fee tired to start drinking it? How to get the most bang for your buck? Or do both methods work equally good? I tend to take a big cup of coffee with me and start drinking it early in the day. :D

2. simsaladimbamba

What if caffeine does not help? What if one needs taurine?

Anyway, when I need to recharge during long drives, and I drove almost 8,000 kilometres in the past six weeks, I usually get taurine as soon as possible and take a sip. Precharging does work too sometimes, but often whilecharging has to do.

3. Huntn, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014

Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Never heard of Taurine, but read this link, for energy drinks? I've considered trying one but have not gotten around to it for alertness. How would you say it compares to caffeine?

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

The half life of caffeine is approximately 5-7 hours. That means your body metabolizes half the dose of caffeine in roughly 5-7 hours. At 10 hours, about 75% is metabolized

Now, that doesn't mean you're going to get the same stimulatory effect at hour 5 as at hour 2...but it give you a little idea of how to plan.

Also...remember that you only rent the coffee you have consumed, and have to...er...give it back after a while...which means a pit stop. You can always refuel at that time.:p

Source

;):D

5. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Thanks! I've realized a large contributor to my fatigue is boredom, just as much as hours on the road. Having a conversation with a passenger, or listening to music or talk radio (even better) keeps me alert. On the 14 hour trip, I had two more small coffees when I was in the 10th and 12th hour of the trip. Stops are no problem. I usually stop about every half a tank, approx 200 miles.

6. simsaladimbamba

Caffeine does not work with me, I guess I am like Obelix in that way.
    I once worked in a cafeteria for two weeks and probably drank too much coffee to be immune now.
    Nowadays I can drink six Espresso and am still tired.
    Taurine seems to be the only stuff working for me, not even mate can help me, but gladly taurine comes in a lot of energy drinks not tasting like Red Bull or gummi bears. They contain a lot of sugar though.

7. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

There's always the option of one of these in the back seat...

[​IMG]

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

9. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

If I have a long drive, I leave on the trip with a nice hot fresh cup of coffee. Sipping as I drive. I have a thermos filled with already prepared coffee ready to refill that cup with wonderful liquid energy. If the trip is too long, I'll stop for a fresh cup, remember McDonalds charges $1 for any size cup of coffee. Of course, you may have to stop somewhere along the way to let out some of the coffee, too.

----------

Hey don't joke about that one... My Prius has a 110v outlet and I do have a travel size Keurig.

10. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

11. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

You could always go with a slow IV drip of coffee to keep the caffeine levels up as you drive. Although you may need something to catch the export of coffee if you choose not to make pit stops along the way. :p Plus it's hands free which is much safer for driving.

Attached Files:

12. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Catheterization to coffee can... :cool: