Drive- film

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by leekohler, Feb 20, 2012.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I had heard all kinds of great things and was looking forward to it.

Very disappointing. While the performances were good, the film itself was overblown and tedious. The musical interludes were quite simply dull. Every time something big was about to happen, it was precluded by a terrible, slow motion music sequence. A nearly two hour film could have easily been 90 minutes and very exciting.

Now, I'm a huge fan of mood pieces like David Lynch films. But those have purpose and reason behind them. This film was an action movie that desperately wanted to be artsy, but failed.

The cast was incredible and did a great job. The director, not so much.

Too bad. I really wanted to love this film.
    Thoughts?

2. 184550, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012

184550 Guest

I had the opposite reaction TBH.

I thought the music set the mood wonderfully; I enjoyed it.

In a year of mostly unremarkable movies, I'd easily give 'Drive' the number two spot behind 'Midnight in Paris'.

EDIT:

Thinking more about it; I think that they were mistaken in trying to market it as an action/ heist movie; it clearly wasn't for the 'The Fast and Furious' crowd.

3. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

It was like a car wreck I couldn't look away from. The killings were beyond brutal and over done and the rest of the movie was too slow and boring. I'm glad I finished it but only because now I know what happens.

4. chordate68 macrumors regular

chordate68

There really wasn't much action IMO. I think the director shot the action scenes in slowmo to emphasize the action because there was so little.

SPOILERS!!!

I thought the ending was interesting. It sort of mirrored the western film, Shane, where there was an argument for the protagonist being alive or dead at the end as he rode off.

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm not part of the "Fast and Furious" crowd. I'm more about the art thing. This just seemed pretentious and pandering to that crowd. I wanted more, and did not get it.

Bingo. Every time something of significance was about to happen, we got the slow motion. It annoyed the hell out of me. Like, oh a significant moment is happening, let's slow it down. The film was too slow already.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Looks like I'm not the only one. I think I would have liked the movie more if the killings we not as brutal.

Overall, it was ok. I hadn't looked at the reviews before seeing it so I didn't have much to expect. But looking at them now, I think they are overrated. I won't lie though, I was impressed with the acting. Really, the gore probably ruined the movie for me. the music Set a nice mood as nathanmuir mentioned
    I couldn't even make it halfway through this movie. Was really boring imo. Maybe it got better later on

7. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I was mildly ok with the killings until he killed that guy in the elevator of his building. They lost me right there. No matter what happened at the end, that would have been the end for him in reality and I just can't go with that.

8. LateOne macrumors newbie

I enjoyed it, indeed I've seen it twice, and I've no doubt I'll stick it in the player again. There aren't a lot of films I can say that about to be honest. But then again I'm a sucker for atmospheric stuff.

I'm minded of the fact that I also enjoy Collateral which, to me, seems similarly paced at least some of the time, and also features occasional bursts of (ultra) violence.

That being the case, it could be, that really, to a Brit, some of what I'm enjoying is the glimpse of L.A. that these films afford.

9. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

I like how he barely talked.

I was sad that his watch isn't real and there aren't any versions for sale.

It was shot really well, but imagine an episode of Top Gear with just the Stig and you'll get the idea of the storyline...

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

was I the only one who thought the child was sooooo adorable? :eek::)

11. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Really glad I'm not the only one who didn't enjoy it! I heard only great things, friends raved about it. I thought it was slow and, for a film about a getaway driver there wasn't much getting away or driving.

Glad I watched it though and I did love the music and visual style. Just not the slow acting style or the ultra long pauses in conversations.

13. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I liked it a lot. The opening moments were so sterile and exciting at the same time. Very restrained and thrilling.

It's been a while since I saw it, so I can't remember everything really well, but I remember I liked it without knowing why exactly. I felt like I was supposed to get something that I didn't. I kind of remember feeling it was like a long music video I really liked.

I've heard people talk about how brutal the movie was, but for some reason, I've forgotten those parts more. (I do in general have a bad memory.) But the things I remember are things like Ryan Gosling offering the kid a toothpick. And just generally that I liked it. I guess it was the mood of the movie.

I guess I'd have to watch it again to give a more informed analysis--that's one benefit of a bad memory: old movies can become new again.