Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
I took my test about 9 months ago and it lasted maybe 8 or 9 minutes. I took it with a driving school class, however, where there was 25 other kids that had to take the test. I didn't have to do a 3 point turn, but I did have to back into a spot. Nothing major... the biggest thing to do is try not to be nervous. Be confident in yourself and know you can do it, and you will do it.

L

Lau

Is the actual driving test in the US really less than 10 minutes? :eek: I think over here it's between 30 minutes and an hour.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Just what is this "3 point turn".... It's nowhere in the drivers handbook...

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
CubaTBird said:
Just what is this "3 point turn".... It's nowhere in the drivers handbook...

This.

Also known as a "K-Turn"...it's called different things in different places, so it may go by a different name in your drivers manual. It's how you turn around in a street too narrow for a regular U-Turn...

krimson

macrumors 65816
CubaTBird said:
Hey guys I got a question. During my actual driving test, do you think they will have me drive on a freeway?:confused:

i've heard some have made you go on the freeway onramp and off the next exit. I personally didn't have to (I took it at Pasadena, very close to I-210), even though my instructor had me drive all the freeways in LA.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I have never heard of someone having to go on the freeway during a driving test in my area. Of course, there's not much point in having a car in Los Angeles unless you plan to use freeways, so that's a necessary skill whether you are tested or not.

I know some people who prefer to take streets whenever they can (afraid of freeways), but in L.A. you often "can't get there from here" without them.

SuperSnake2012

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
NY
I just took my driving test yesterday and I passed it with flying colors :) The test was literally less than 10 minutes long. It started with me pulling out of a parked spot, making a few turns, parallel parking, doing a broken U turn (3 point turn) and what to do at stop signs. It was extremely easy! :cool:

mulze22

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2005
Up Nort
SuperSnake2012 said:
I just took my driving test yesterday and I passed it with flying colors :) The test was literally less than 10 minutes long. It started with me pulling out of a parked spot, making a few turns, parallel parking, doing a broken U turn (3 point turn) and what to do at stop signs. It was extremely easy! :cool:

Nice. Did you get any points off. When I took mine I got a point of b/c I didn't set the stupid e-brake for uphill parking.

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
In the UK,learners are not allowed on the motorways (freeways). They are really easy though, a straightish road. when i take my test, i would want to go on one, means that you spend a lot of the time doing nothing complex.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Hey check it out... I didn't pass my test because I didn't look over my shoulder. Other than that I did everything else right. Well time to sign up again for another shot! wooo.. This summer, its been like downhill at everything I do. Its like a rut.. :( :eek:

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Aw, Cuba...at least you're maintaining your sense of humor. You'll get 'em next time!

Leraste

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2006
Los Angeles
I didn't look over my shoulder and they passed me. The lady also told me I was "too close to the curb when I turned". Interesting that they didn't pass you just because of that.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Leraste said:
I didn't look over my shoulder and they passed me. The lady also told me I was "too close to the curb when I turned". Interesting that they didn't pass you just because of that.

They said that because I didn't do that I exhibited a "dangerous maneuver".. Another interesting note is the instructor didn't even have his belt on, I didn't think of telling him thinking he would just do it. Guess he didn't...:(

Leraste

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2006
Los Angeles
CubaTBird said:
They said that because I didn't do that I exhibited a "dangerous maneuver".. Another interesting note is the instructor didn't even have his belt on, I didn't think of telling him thinking he would just do it. Guess he didn't...:(

Bastard.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
CubaTBird said:
Hey check it out... I didn't pass my test because I didn't look over my shoulder. Other than that I did everything else right. Well time to sign up again for another shot! wooo.. This summer, its been like downhill at everything I do. Its like a rut.. :( :eek:
Sorry you didn't get it this time. :(

Think of it this way: If you are going "downhill" then you can coast and save gas!

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Hey guys I got a question. Because I didn't pass my actual behind the wheel test the first time, does that go on some sort of permanent record? For example, when I go to apply for car insurance, does the insurance company see that I didn't pass the the first time? Im going to retake it for sure and pass the second time, just like I did the written but I just wanted to know. :eek:

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
CubaTBird said:
Hey guys I got a question. Because I didn't pass my actual behind the wheel test the first time, does that go on some sort of permanent record? For example, when I go to apply for car insurance, does the insurance company see that I didn't pass the the first time? Im going to retake it for sure and pass the second time, just like I did the written but I just wanted to know. :eek:
I don't think you have to worry about anything like this. As far as I know, everyone with a license is put on the same playing field, and those with points or accidents on their records are charged accordingly.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
krimson said:
i would have asked him to put his belt on, just because in CA, if your passenger gets caught without a seatbelt, you (as the driver) both get a citation.
Indeed! I would have taken it as a "trick question" and absolutely not driven off without him/her putting the belt on.

My test took about 25 minutes and I had to avoid varying levels of road work (practically all the roads in the city are being dug up it seems). No freeway, no parallel, no 3-point turn. Had some points taken away for things that I genuinely could have done better, and some taken away for things that I disputed with the tester were not so (I DID SO look both ways when crossing railroad tracks :mad: ). Overall: not hard. Especially considering the driving conditions of this area.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
apfhex said:
Indeed! I would have taken it as a "trick question" and absolutely not driven off without him/her putting the belt on.
The guidelines for driver's license tests (at least here) say that the examiner will never try to trick, nor ask you to do anything illegal.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
CubaTBird said:
Sure that wasn't a test in and of itself...? :confused:

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Doctor Q said:
The guidelines for driver's license tests (at least here) say that the examiner will never try to trick, nor ask you to do anything illegal.
Yeah, they do, I was forgetting that. Maybe it be even better to refuse to take the test with someone like that.

wickedfire

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2006
just took mine

The tester gave me a Dangerous Maneuver cause I accepted the right of way from someone coming towards me from the opposite way, when turning left on a residential area. The other driver had the right of way and even though she stopped and waited until I turned I shouldn't have accepted the courtesy/ :rolleyes:
now I'm told that the Hollywood DMV is one of the most strict offices.
:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.