Driving me around the bend. Need a Printer with easily refillable carts

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by niuniu, Feb 4, 2010.

1. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I fairly recently bought a Lexmark wireless printer X4690, but I've had enough of it, and binned it this morning.

I thought I could take the cartridges to a shop around the corner and refill them. And well, I could, and did. But due to some chip that tags the cartridge as empty, the printer can no longer re-use it. So I ended up paying again and again a hefty price tag every month on printer ink.

Today I had enough, just binned the stupid thing, could never get the wireless working with the MBP anyway.

Can anyone recommend a printer that takes refillable ink? Wireless preferred and easy to setup and actually works with a Mac?

I'm really in a corner here, I need the printer up and running again by Monday coming. Preferably something not too expensive either.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Cheap printers pretty much always have expensive ink and those chips are pretty much standard now. That's the economics of the printer business. They are basically giving you the printer below cost and make it up on ink.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I'd recommend getting a cheap laser printer. They just last an awful lot longer.

4. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

Sounds like you want a Continuous Ink System. (CIS)

http://www.cisinks.com/

You can get them for Brother, Canon, Epson and HP Inkjet Printers.

I advise shopping around for the CIS before deciding on a printer.

Many of them have special chips that auto-reset the ink level. You'd probably want one with auto-reset as well as one that's got good reviews.

Then buy the printer that matches it and if works well for you then order a CIS.

Have Fun,
    Keri

PS- HP Officejet Pro printers have large ink tanks and low cost per page. It's kind of like CIS but built right in. Officejet Pro printers do cost a little more to buy, but the larger ink tanks and replaceable heads make them a good value.