Driving while using Google Maps on the Iphone is dangerous

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by needthephone, Feb 20, 2009.

1. needthephone macrumors 6502a

I used Maps to find somwhere I had never been before the other day and although it did get me there, I have to say I almost had a serious accident.

When you are speeding along a motor way at 100Km trying to centre the screen or press the little arrow to the next part of the directions it is just asking to have accident.

This application which comes with the iphone should have a warning.

To me apple are being irresponsible NOT allowing voice prompts which are really the only safe method.

It is far far worse than drink driving or talking on the phone and these are banned.

2. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

should it really come with a warning though?

I find it funny that they actually had to make a law telling people not to text message while they're driving

3. 11800506 macrumors 65816

I think using a little common sense would apply in a situation like this.

4. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

to me, people not paying attention to the road and staring at a cell phone is much more irresponsible.

maybe you yourself should have a warning instead of the application.
    possibly a big sign that states, "i do not pay attention to the road, instead i will be looking at my cell phones screen".

something along those lines would be much safer.

5. mkstewartesq@co macrumors regular

Okay, let me get this straight:

YOU are driving along at 100km, holding a cell phone in front of your face, trying to push buttons on it and drive.

A warning is designed to alert you to a potential hidden danger of which you would not have been aware absent the warning. This is the whole reason behind a "warning" being something the law says you deserve in a tort case: without the warning you had good reason to believe that the activity in which you were engaged was safe absent the warning that it was not.

Driving. Did Apple ever tell you it was safe to drive while playing with the iPhone? No, don't think so.

Did they imply that? No.

Did you, as an adult operator of a vehicle, ever think that playing with a cell phone while you were driving, was safe, such that you would reasonably need a warning that it was not? Hope not.

Sorry, don't think a warning as to safety is needed here. Only common sense. And, as a lawyer, I don't think any court in the land would think a cell-phone or computer company - who didn't market their system for use while driving - would need to offer a warning that "hey, playing with a cellphone while driving is dangerous."

(For a contrary example - my in-car GPS (Toyota) will not let you boot the system up unless you acknowledge their warnings. That I understand - the system is built INTO the car, easily accessible from the steering wheel etc. - yes, someone might think that placing the system in the car within reach of the driver meant that Toyota was representing that the system was safe in all cases. So I get why they think a warning was necessary.)

Sorry. I am a lawyer, (and a quite liberal one at that, at least by US standards) but I can't abide the whole mentality of "I am doing something I know is stupid - but somebody should've warned me. And they didn't, so their product must be the problem."

M

6. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

You are either a troll or YOU NEED TO KEEP YOU EYES ON THE ROAD.
    :rolleyes:

7. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

You are being the irresponsible one for blaming Apple. You made the decision to try to use Google Maps while driving.

Driving while distracted is illegal in most places. It's not a book publisher's job to print warnings in books that say "don't read while driving". Or cosmetics companies to warn on their make-up that it shouldn't be applied in the vanity or rear-view mirror while driving.

Grow up and learn to take some responsibility for your own ___-______ choices in life.

8. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

I used to think that the iPhone was good for navigating and indeed it has saved me a few times when I have had to deliver things to places i have never been before.

BUT then i got a mio digiwalker the other day and it puts the iPhone gps/maps app to shame. I agree that a normal gps is much safer to use whilst driving but maybe you should think about what you are doing before you blame apple. Where i live we have laws about not using mobile phones whilst driving just because you are using the maps app doesn't make it any different.

I agree with the others: either get some common sense and pull over, not use it or at the very least get a holder so you dont have to hold it whilst driving.

9. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

I think its your irresponsibility for driving and looking at your phone at the same time. to me its counted like talking or texting while driving. Its not apples fault so you shouldnt be blaming them because its your decision to do so while driving.

however i see your point. it would be nice if there were voice prompts and real-time GPS on the iphone so you dont have to look at it. google maps is a very useful feature.

10. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Separate driving from all other activities, else that will really get you in an accident.

The thread's title was misleading to me, I thought the Maps is sort of harmful like pinching its user :rolleyes:

11. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

When I use the iPhone's Maps in the car I have it in a holder and I just find the directions and follow the blue dot along the highlighted road. I just need to glance once in a while, to make sure I'm going the right way.

12. Toadjeep macrumors newbie

If you cannot drive and play with your phone then maybe you should just stick to driving. You wonder way we have ridiculous laws is because people cannot be smart enough for themselves.

13. grrlwonder macrumors newbie

First of all, how you've made it to how ever old you are without a daily list of warnings is beyond me. Secondly, one of the things that makes America the most (or one of) litigious countries in the world is how people who do otherwise commonly idiotic things want to sue companies for not warning them they could get hurt. Take for instance the lady who sues McD's after burning herself on coffee. I don't even drink coffee, but I know it suppose to be friggin hot!

Okay, so grow up & shut up. I hate to hear people whine because they don't have common sense.

Google maps on the iPhone isn't dangerous - people are dangerous.

14. PennCentralFan macrumors regular

PennCentralFan

Plus what type of fool drives that fast. 100! That's bad enough.

15. mcruzader macrumors regular

He was going 100km which is about 60mph. Still pretty stupid choice to try to blame Apple for his own ignorance.

16. James L macrumors 6502a

lol, good one!

Well, I'm assuming it's a joke. Cuz, you know, who would really be stupid enough to drive 100 km/hr along a motor way while playing with their cell phone? And only a TOTAL moron would need a warning tell them not to do that.

So... good one!

17. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

100 KPH, not MPH. 100 kph = 62 mph, typical highway speed around my area.

Anyway, I don't dare use my iPhone when I'm going 5 mph, let alone 65 mph... If the OP is indeed telling the truth and is not a troll then they need their license revoked and car impounded before they injure someone due to their own idiocy.

18. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Changing your clothes while driving is also a bad idea, but you don't see any cautionary tags on your clothes, do you? ;)

19. needthephone thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have my iphone attached to the dash in a cradle.

Also i was going somewhere and had to be at an appointment so it was a last resort as my map didn't cover the area.

It worked out my route fine but I was using the directions where you have to press that little arrow to advance to the next stage.

It was very accurate but having to take your eyes off the road is asking for it.

I have never used it before but I thought I would try it out. If YOU ALL KNOW that it's not SUPPOSE to be used then why is it included if it is inherently dangerous.

So all you smug peop[le are saying that apple is all style an no substance? For gods sake don't actually use it but hell it looks good in your front room.

Seriously if a lawyer was to argue this point the apple would not have a leg to stand on.

Why is that arrow so small anyway?

apple provided this so you can navigate and yes it does work but the way its implemented its impossible (well almost) to use safely.

Just why they can't implement voice prompts is beyond me. If it's on the grounds of safety then this is just ridiculous. What they have now is not safe.

From all the flaming I've had you all know that this maps application is dangerous though so you obviously agree with me. apple don't though.

It was a once in a life time experiment as I had no choice-my iphone is suppose to have built in maps after all. I was in unfamiliar territory and needed to get somewhere urgently.

Never again, not unless they implement voice prompts.

And no I am not an apple hater- I love their stuff but sometimes their stubbornness to do what they think is intrinsically right when it is plainly wrong annoys the hell out of me.

20. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Honestly I'd invest in a GPS unit....

21. needthephone thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes I will.

I agree I was stupid,

I was stupid to use something on my iphone which apple has provided for this purpose.

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Would you please show me where Apple has said that the iPhone is designed for use in a car for turn by turn navigation. :confused:

23. LiveForever macrumors 6502

Not wishing to take sides here.

But what is the purpose of the directions feature on the iphone then?

Sorry I thought it was suppose to help you navigate whether you are walking, snow mobiling, driving or whatever.

Most people I would suggest would use it for driving.

After all apple has said it has GPS and most people associate GPS with in car satellite navigation.

No give the OP some credit here he was only trying to use his iphone.

But I agree this is pretty much useless for driving as IT IS VERY VERY DANGEROUS without voice prompts.

Its Ok for walking around but hang on it will chew your battery up and is only good for about an hour- I have tried it. At least in your car you can charge your iphone.

So no the maps application is pretty much useless full stop.

24. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

Doesn't Apple specifically prohibit driving apps for just this reason?

25. LiveForever macrumors 6502

Why doesn't it prohibit its own maps application then?

It seems the safety issue would be solved if voice prompts were allowed.

What they have now with its own maps application and now XGPS without voice prompts is unsafe.

So is XGPS unsafe too then and that is sold as being a turn by turn in car navigation system.