DRM copyright protection in itunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tape302, Jun 8, 2012.

1. tape302 macrumors newbie

a couple of ?
    -Is there a way to tell if a song on iTunes has DRM protection. Not all my songs were purchased from iTunes. Some came from PtoP sites years ago.
    I watched an older video tell how to remove DRM protection using iMovie and iTunes. The final stage was to convert a re-imported song to ACC using iTunes, but the current iTunes only allows me to convert to mp3. Any reason why the ACC form is better than mp3 for DRM removal?
    Will a simple burning songs to CD-RW and then import back to iTunes remove DRM protection?

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

Yes, get info on a track - if it has DRM, it will say “protected"

Huh? You can convert between formats all you want (it’s all based on iTunes import settings). AAC is more efficient than MP3 regarding file sizes.

Yes.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Every iTunes version allows conversion to AAC (not ACC): In "General Preferences", change "Import Settings".

You could also go to the iTunes Store and check the "iTunes Plus" section (which allows you to upgrade from DRM to DRM-free at higher quality for about $0.30 per song), or have a look at iTunes Match.

4. tape302 thread starter macrumors newbie

pdjudd & gnasher729,
    thanks for your input. Let me digest the info given. Sorry about the ACC instead of the correct AAC.

5. LaWally macrumors 6502a

Go to the iTunes Media/Music folder and search for all files with an .m4p suffix. Those will be the DRM protected tracks.

6. corila macrumors newbie

if you wanna convert itunes to other formats, you can use other programs as well, like tunebite for example. you have there a lot more converting options, it's not limited to aac or mp3. anywho, if you're looking for something like that this would pretty much be my recommendation. m4p conversion def works too, there's even a tutorial you can check out.