droid or any other smartphone (excluding iphone) without data plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iperson21, Sep 13, 2010.

1. iperson21 macrumors regular

i think i might have figured out a loop hole here, please correct me if im wrong or tell me if you've also done it to get a smart phone without a data plan.

so hey everybody, (i realize this isn't about iphone, but i thought alot of you people here might have some knowledge on this) i want a droid, and i want the droid 2 the r2d2 version. but, my dad won't pay for the data plan and he won't let me pay for it either (don't ask) so, i was wondering, since my dad is elgible for a new every 2 upgrade, could he take his phone to the verizon store, get the droid 2, then ask them to transfer the # back to his old phone, and then ask them to cancel the data plan. then after that, wait until the droid 3 comes out or until they stop selling the droid 2(r2d2) and then activate it on my # without a data plan?

i currently have an LG Chocolate Touch, with 70$ shared family plan with my dad (my mom has sprint since her office pays for it) and i also have the 10$ data plan (stupid verizon) and the 10$ texting plan, which i only have because of the $10 data plan (texting + [data]) = 20, so if i get the droid, i can get verizon's 20$ texting plan.

thanks in advance.
    :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Pretty sure that won't work as Verizon and the other carriers are requiring a data plan for smartphones. If you somehow get them to cancel the data plan, they could add it back later on.

3. forcetactic macrumors 6502

I don't think Verizon will ever (in the near future) let you use a smartphone like Droid as a phone without data. For the 1st part, I know for AT&T you could use your dad to upgrade and switch back so Verizon might be the same.

If you do upgrade swap, you'll just have to use the Droid without the phone/network features for a while, possibly indefinitely.

4. iperson21 thread starter macrumors regular

i realize that i will have to wait..
    but if i only activated the droid AFTER they stopped selling it, could i get it without the data plan?

5. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

No. They can tell what type of device is accessing their network and automatically add the data plan. You won't be able to sneak by.

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Most loopholes have been closed by carriers in the past few years, due to losing so much money on people playing the system to buy low and sell high, with the carrier taking the hit. That's why data plans are now required, and why ETFs went up.

So if you want the R2D2 Droid, your best (only?) bet at this point, is to find someone selling one on Craigslist or eBay. I often do this by being patient and waiting until a device is no longer a hot seller.

The problem is, these are probably going to be immediate collector items and will no doubt demand a high price.

7. aohus macrumors 68000

there is absolutely NO way to have a smartphone + no data plan. period.

smartphone requires data plan of some sorts. there is no loophole to circumvent this.

8. 1985macman macrumors newbie

Smart phones and data plans

Okay, so you get a smart phone, but you don't want to pay for the data plan. But in order to activate the phone, the cell companies require you to buy the data plan. I get it....but why?

Some snobs ask, 'Why get a smart phone if you don't want a data plan?"

My answer is: because I could use my home wireless network which I am already paying for.

Then they say, "then just get an ipod Touch."

My answer: But the Touch is not a phone. Why do I need two devices when they already make a single device that does more than I need it to do.

Then they say: "there's no way around it. Just pay the $1 a day for the data plan.

And I say: I plan to have the phone (or some future upgrade) for the rest of my life. $30 a month for 35 years (my remaining life expectancy, maybe), that's (quick, who is good with math?) $12,600. And won't the cost go up? That's a lot of money for something I don't need. (Sure, I would want it, buy I do not need it - the data plan.) So why should I be stuck with a dumb phone that can't do all the neato things an iPhone or Droid can do?

Even if I paid full cost for an iPhone, something like $700, I would still have to get the data plan!? Can't you agree that something ain't right with this picture?

The data plan requirement is a "policy," it's not really required for any technical reason. Am I right?

The real reason I would want the phone without the data plan is a friend of mine offered me his Droid 2. I currently have a dumb phone that takes lousy pictures and videos. The Droid 2 would be a huge step up in that regard. But why do I need a data plan for what is to me a free phone I want to use for better photos and videos? Their policy is pretty bad.

I already have Verizon FIOS for internet, TV, and landline service and Verizon Wireless with 3 phone lines. Do they really need any more money out of me? I think not.

Think what you will, but some of us people just want the cool phones minus the data plan. Why is this not possible?

(Mac owner since 1985)

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

^^Carriers don't really care about what you think. In their court, you play by their rules.

10. PapaStu macrumors member

PapaStu

So why get a smart phone at all then? If you're only using the data at home, why not just use the computer and have whatever you're looking at on a screen that's bigger than 4" diagonal. You can find a 'feature' phone that has a better camera that will allow for video/pix and you'd be fine.

The whole point of a 'smart' phone is to be using it on the go away from your computer. Giving you access to things that would be available to you on the internet only otherwise (email, ability to search the net) or use programs like Word and Excel.

11. 1985macman macrumors newbie

I understand your points, but to answer your question "why get a smart phone at all?": well, because it is free. A friend wants to give it to me. Plus, my home computers are desktops, but I don't spend all my time in my home office. I might be watching tv and want to access IMDB without having to go to my computer in another part of my house. Plus, lots of places around where I live have free wireless access where I would not need the data plan but could still use the smart phone on the go. Plus I could load up games and play them anywhere, use it as an ebook reader, watch downloaded movies on better screens, lots of reasons to prefer a smart phone other than for "on the go" internet and email.

But my main point with all of this discussion is this: some company's policy is stopping me from choosing the phone I would otherwise get, and that's not right. It's a freedom of choice thing. If I want a smart phone I should be able to own one, either received as a gift or purchased by me, and have the data plan disabled. If I only use it once a week for ordering pizza and I don't use it for any other purpose, ever, then that's my choice. If I don't want the data plan, that should be my choice as well. They may be strange and unwise choices, but hey, THIS IS AMERICA after all. Land of the free and all that.:)

12. 1985macman macrumors newbie

Okay. But then we have to change the rules, or get them to change their rules. It can be done. Because I know that they really do care what I think, especially if I think about canceling my multiple VERIZON accounts. It may take some arm twisting, but they can change.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Well, contact them and see if they will do it. Good luck.