Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Okay, all you brainiacs - when you have a stage, there is usually a place for the audience to stand.

Do any of you see that sort of space available?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Is it safe to say this is the most obsessed we've ever been with a media event? Between this and early 5th Avenue campers, Apple is dropping a bomb on Tuesday and I for one am about to explode from excitement. :D

I've seen more and bigger hype from Apple in the past.

The original iPhone hype was out of this world.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Whatever they are building there gotta be huge.
And worth building it, as it's not just the cost of building the structure, but the cost of removing it and then repairing the lot used.
well, just a few more days until we find out what exactly that thing is. :D

----------

Maybe what they are building is to demo Apple's new App/Device: iDemolish
The purpose would be to show how this new product can work even when there are other structures very close to it. :D

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
Not a stage

A stage doesn't need to be set up weeks in advance, even if its for bono. Its gotta be something else.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
And in other news, Samsung prepares for its new product launch:

Attachments

• Bighorn3.jpg
    Bighorn3.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 59

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I own a DJI Phantom 2 Vision+.

I call it a drone. Or a quad copter. As you probably know, it does now have the capability of flying a preset path. So if the ability to fly a programmed path is your criteria, it qualifies. Another reason it qualifies is that it automatically maintains its position when I let go of the controls. That ability is on the flying machine itself. If the wind blows it off course, it will fly itself back to where it is supposed to be. Autonomously! Even when you're telling it where to go with your remote control, it's making a lot of the decisions of how to fight the wind and follow your instructions.

There are likely to be more updates to the firmware in the future that will allow it to do even more without a human at the stick. So it's best not to get too hung up on whether it qualifies as a drone, or whether it is "just" a lowly quadcopter.

Looking at the video, this is probably not the Phantom 2 with a gimbal and a Go Pro, nor is it the Phantom 2 Vision+. Possibly it's the Phantom 2 Vision, which doesn't have a gimbal to stabilize the video.

All valid points, however I will stick to my opinion on this, for the simple reason of the pending zoning, and regulation of such devices for hobby and commercial use.

Blurring the lines between a hobby toy, built for entertainment, and more / fully autonomous drones used for business, law enforcement, and other such activities does us hobby users zero favors.

Additionally, you can add a gimbal to a Blade, or DJI for less than $100 thanks to places like Ebay, or Amazon. I have a cheap brushless gimbal on both of my quads. That said, reviewing the footage again, the Video shared in the associated article does appear to be a bit too rough to have a gimbal connected to the copter.

Ambush083

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
The drone should've gotten closer and like landed right in front of people or buzzing aorund their heads so we could see who is there. Also maybe have some claw mechanism that can drop certain objects like water-balloons or a message that says "Tell us More".

recooler

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2013
I found another flyover video and took a screenshot, then photoshopped it a bit to try and get more details what's inside the structures. you can see that the ones on the left and right have some sort of tents or roofs inside.

The video: http://vimeo.com/105242123

Perhaps someone can get even more details.

Attachments

• center.jpg
    center.jpg
    532 KB · Views: 121

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
I found another flyover video and took a screenshot, then photoshopped it a bit to try and get more details what's inside the structures. you can see that the ones on the left and right have some sort of tents or roofs inside.

The video: http://vimeo.com/105242123

Perhaps someone can get even more details.

In the left one it almost looks like one of these (right in the top left of the left room)

sprint-sky-dancer2.jpg

Or just a regular inflatable guy. :D

ousboui

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2014
it's a shame the "drone" didn't go around to the front of the structure where the large entrance is. The entrance is partially screened with black curtains but with the elevated ariel vantage point and the right angle you might just get a peek inside. There has to be other doors for this structure otherwise if it only had one entrance/exit it would be a fire hazard, so I think we are going to see some of these white panels removed to reveal more of the underlying structure. I'd like to think all the money being spent here will leave the college with a lasting structure as a legacy, I hope it's not tempory.

The best guess is that this is some kind of demo area, perhaps it will allow the press to get hands on and see what's new. Health related demo, mobile payment with wearable device demo (easiest way to pay would be to just bring your wrist near the register then touch a fingerprint sensor on the device to confirm payment, could be same thing to unlock your street door - never carry keys or a wallet ever again!) home automation demo, perhaps even listening stations with A-B comparrison of new headphones/high bit-rate audio vs standard headphones/files.

Can't wait to find out!

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
What .... !!?

They ran outta helicopters, so they used drones instead because it would appear cooler. Just image a drunk driver and u've got it made.

Plus, it would be a laugh on youtube when everyone watches it.

Actually it it cool :cool: First Mac was held here i think. and more seats.

Apples preparing a big one this year :)

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
This is what we're doing now? Sending drones with GoPros to snoop around because we can't wait a week?

The creepiness enabled by advances in technology gets unnerving at times.

If you are on facebook, then everything you just said is a moot point.

----------

Thats actually very shaky footage compared to what newer models can give you. Here is one of my videos using a newer model DJI Phantom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y70cZW9JhKA

Holy cow! What's the range on that thing. I'm guessing it's not your 400-500$ drone.

carpleror

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2014
Ok deff not a stage. Theres no where for an audience to sit/stand. Also, people are asking when Apple is going to take off the white cover. I don't think the white is going to come off, it's prob like people said before, a temp store to show off products and stuff so if anything they might put a little banner up in the front above the entrance.

Maybe if were lucky the iPhone will go on sale after the event and that's a store for the press and attendees to buy a phone :D (wishful thinking, I know)

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it

That's really nice footage. Thanks for the link. It does seem like the top is some sort of fabric, like a huge tent. There are two small objects on the roofs of the side structures. Ventilation?

I wonder about Apple's event teaser: "Live video from our special event will be right here. And so will a whole lot more." I'd bet that structure houses "a whole lot more".

Random Chaos

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
Looks to me like a standard size festival stage covered in a white box and I should know I've played on enough of them! :)

If it were a stage, where do you put the audience? On the front side is the Flint center about 30 feet or so away, on the other is another big building, about 30-40 feet away, and on the sides are yet more buildings.

Can't be a stage. While it looks the right size, you don't build a stage hemmed in by buildings such that no one can see the performance.

Look at the air hoses feeding it from behind - 3 large tubes per side . The entire structure is inflated, that's why it's white plastic - they are a sandwich in which the air forms the structure. It also means there are probably no levels within, probably one big cavity, and no "walls" to be removed. Though they could easily hid a big banner under a 2nd layer of white plastic and no one would ever know until it was unveiled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.