Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I will agree with that. I am surprised that the Studio 17 doesn't have the same GFX card option as the MBP of similar size.

And contrary to popular belief, Apple Care is a very good deal. I have fixed many a cosmetic problem/flaw on my MBP for free in less than two days.
The Vostro is a budget business line of laptops for Dell. It's a cheaper option when compared to a Latitude. It's more utilitarian and subdued then the consumer line Inspiron with its black chassis and fewer curves.

I don't see any problem with Apple charging a premium for the Macbook Pro if it can really bring professional features that the majority of other laptop makers are offering. The 15" model could stand for a slight price reduction to say $1,899 retail.

The disparity is very noticeable on the 17" model when compared to other 17" notebooks. You'll notice that most other 17" laptops are a little thicker (1.5" gasp!) but you get port replication galore, gamer/enthusiast video cards, full sized keyboard, and dual hard drives.

The only thing you need is a low end video card in the MacBook and Apple can have all its fun with the Pro. Currently a ATi 3450 or an nVidia GeForce 9300M G. Sure they're low end 64-bit interface and shader limited cards but they're better then what Intel integrated offers today!

A mainstream laptop that costs more then US$1,000 should not have integrated graphics .

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
A mainstream laptop that costs more then US$1,000 should not have integrated graphics .

Quoted For Truth!

The integrated chips aren't a big deal IMHO, but it's the starting price of the Mac Book line in general. I think many older Mac users have been longing for the days when laptops stated at $999 or $899 for students (even less for refurbished) instead of $1099.

And when upgradeable desktops started at $1499 (WOW :eek: Power Mac G4 throwback) or $1799 with the G5s instead of the $2299 of the Mac Pro.

I do see a time when Apple may not be able to con users into paying the premium, though they have been getting away with charging more for less for a good number of years.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
Quoted For Truth!

The integrated chips aren't a big deal IMHO, but it's the starting price of the Mac Book line in general. I think many older Mac users have been longing for the days when laptops stated at $999 or $899 for students (even less for refurbished) instead of $1099.

And when upgradeable desktops started at $1499 (WOW :eek: Power Mac G4 throwback) or $1799 with the G5s instead of the $2299 of the Mac Pro.

I do see a time when Apple may not be able to con users into paying the premium, though they have been getting away with charging more for less for a good number of years.

When the G5 was out the $us was worth a lot more than it is now by far, the general price hasn't changed much and if it has its gotten lower just the $ is weaker.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Dell XPS M1530
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB DDR2 SDRAM
320GB HDD
NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 8600M GT with 256MB dedicated graphic memory
15-inch display with 1440x900 resolution
==========
£799.00
==========

Apple MacBook Pro
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB DDR2 SDRAM
250GB HDD
NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 8600M GT with 256MB dedicated graphic memory
15-inch display with 1440x900 resolution
==========
£1449.00
==========

Difference: £650.00

The price of the Apple notebook is absolutely ridiculous, which is why I try to get people to avoid buying MacBook Pro where possible. It really is overpriced.

I don't think anyone here could possibly say that a backlit keyboard (which is the only real advantage MBP has over the Dell XPSM1530) is worth £650.

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
I don't think anyone here could possibly say that a backlit keyboard (which is the only real advantage MBP has over the Dell XPSM1530) is worth £650.

LOL, nope. You can buy a hell of a nice lamp for that. Or if you went to Ikea you could get 50-100 lamps if you wanted.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
When the G5 was out the $us was worth a lot more than it is now by far, the general price hasn't changed much and if it has its gotten lower just the $ is weaker.

I don't think that has anything to do with it.

Aussies complain about the price being to high over there, then they say that the price is the same, except for the dollar has gotten weaker. They need to make up their mind and choose what they want to whine about.

As far as the dollar getting cheaper/prices getting higher, that's just not the case. The G5 was $1700 when it debuted as a single core machine, and the prices of the tower configs have gotten higher since the intro of the Mac Pro.

The Powerbook/MacBook prices have stayed the same. By that logic the portables would have increased i price as well, and in the pro line they haven't.

It's more likely that Apple was gauging prices over there then, and is still doing so now since every Aussie is whining about the price difference.

You still have to include a lot of other factors. I agree that the MBP is overpriced compared to the next model PC, but not by that much, and I wouldn't turn someone away from a MBP, just like I wouldn't turn someone away from a comparable PC, that's being biased.

When doing a more accurate comparison the price difference is about $500 or 250 BPs. The Dell comes with a bigger HDD and most likely a fully clocked GFX card, and the MBP comes in a much lighter body and with FW800 and that backlit keyboard.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I guess this topic always makes for an interesting thread. But in reality, the price you pay is just that--the price you are willing to pay. No one is forcing anyone to spend their money to purchase Apple products. I feel I got my money's worth so I'm a happy customer.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
He's got a point though. If you don't actually need OS X, there's very little incentive to recommend a Mac over more featured and cheaper PCs. It's sort of the way it does no good to tout a GPS system as a selling point in an expensive car if the buyer doesn't need one to get around.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
I was wondering when those Studio laptops would be released.

I haven't had a Dell fail before its 3-4 warranty gave out. We still have some 5 year old Latitudes in circulation.

The company that I work for bought 10 new Dell Laptops for the IT staff, nearly one year on all laptop have had the mainboards replace and there have been a host of other issues with them as well (including one nearly burning down the office).

I've never been a fan of Dell but this just cements for me why I'd never by Dell.

On the other hand my 7 year old iBook is still going strong, I guess you get what you pay for.

drossad

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2008
PA
I purchased my first Mac about a month ago (love it!!!). I got the previous generation high end 15" MBP on clearance with an education discount for $1700 from the Apple online store. I just checked out the Dell Studio series on their website. For comparable specs to the current low end MBP (or the one I bought) it would cost $1500. Then you would have to purchase antivirus/spyware/adware protection, none of which you need to worry about with a Mac. You wouldn't be getting the Mac OS which is tons better than Vista in flow, usability and performance. You wouldn't be getting any of the software that comes standard on a Mac (I work in music and Garageband is well worth the extra money for a Mac alone). I had an HP laptop before I bought my Mac. The speakers, and internal microphone are way better quality on my MBP. My point is Mac is more expensive, but as many others have said, you get what you pay for. Plus, you won't have as many headaches with a Mac.

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

the thing I never understand about these threads is that they always turn into the same flame wars. I don't get why people can't just say "I've had good experiences with this computer brand and you've had bad experiences" and vise versa, and be happy with that. I hate my Inspiron, and love my Macbook. Others have opposite feelings. As an end user, let's just say "this computer works for me," and leave it at that, as that's all that really matters. It doesn't have to be a "perfect" world of conformity.

martychang

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
the thing I never understand about these threads is that they always turn into the same flame wars. I don't get why people can't just say "I've had good experiences with this computer brand and you've had bad experiences" and vise versa, and be happy with that. I hate my Inspiron, and love my Macbook. Others have opposite feelings. As an end user, let's just say "this computer works for me," and leave it at that, as that's all that really matters. It doesn't have to be a "perfect" world of conformity.

Because someone complained on a forum. Complaints are typically meant to be addressed, especially when they're posted where people can see them. People address them, others complain about the way they addressed it, more addressing and complaining, poopstorm, fire & brimstone, etc.

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
Because someone complained on a forum. Complaints are typically meant to be addressed, especially when they're posted where people can see them. People address them, others complain about the way they addressed it, more addressing and complaining, poopstorm, fire & brimstone, etc.

Maybe so, but it's hardly dealt with in that way. The original poster says "Apple's hardware prices are too high," and instead of keeping the topic to why or why not the prices are too high, it deteriorates into "I've never had [this computer] that worked right," then the next person has to say the opposite, as if any of that has any bearing on the end user experience, which is all that really matters in a purchase. That was my only point. People are free to bicker all they want.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Maybe so, but it's hardly dealt with in that way. The original poster says "Apple's hardware prices are too high," and instead of keeping the topic to why or why not the prices are too high, it deteriorates into "I've never had [this computer] that worked right," then the next person has to say the opposite, as if any of that has any bearing on the end user experience, which is all that really matters in a purchase. That was my only point. People are free to bicker all they want.

It's the same in the iPhone forums. A poster needs advice on whether or not to switch carriers or not, and gives their reasons for considering.

Some support the OP's reasons, some suggest they switch and give good reasons as well.

A majority of the posts are simple one-liners that don't add anything to the conversation. Like, " I love my iPhone, I won't use anything else :D!" Or, "The other phones out there suck! iPhone rocks!" Don't dare say anything that suggests they should add more though, or state any facts.

To add insult to injury, they don't want to read the links you give them and then want you to spoon feed them your facts. :mad:

Sorry, rant over.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Whether or not you believe prices are too high please remember 2 things.

1) the American dollar is worth jack. The weak dollar effects the end user, but also Apple as well. ICs and parts have gone up, labor, transportation, and all other overhead has gone up.

2) Apple has a very vibrant R&D department. A lot of these innovations would not come about without a well funded R&D. I would hate to even consider how much money went into R&D on the iPhone, and yes, revenue on product line will help offset the R&D costs, but that money has to come from somewhere.

Yes Apple has a whole heap of cash on hand, but currently with this market that is one smart move on their part.

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
It's the same in the iPhone forums. A poster needs advice on whether or not to switch carriers or not, and gives their reasons for considering.

Some support the OP's reasons, some suggest they switch and give good reasons as well.

A majority of the posts are simple one-liners that don't add anything to the conversation. Like, " I love my iPhone, I won't use anything else :D!" Or, "The other phones out there suck! iPhone rocks!" Don't dare say anything that suggests they should add more though, or state any facts.

To add insult to injury, they don't want to read the links you give them and then want you to spoon feed them your facts. :mad:

Sorry, rant over.

Fair enough. I'm sure I've been subject to this kind of stupid posting before a few times, but I try to steer clear of it. :p

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Whether or not you believe prices are too high please remember 2 things.

1) the American dollar is worth jack. The weak dollar effects the end user, but also Apple as well. ICs and parts have gone up, labor, transportation, and all other overhead has gone up.

2) Apple has a very vibrant R&D department. A lot of these innovations would not come about without a well funded R&D. I would hate to even consider how much money went into R&D on the iPhone, and yes, revenue on product line will help offset the R&D costs, but that money has to come from somewhere.

Yes Apple has a whole heap of cash on hand, but currently with this market that is one smart move on their part.

I don't think the strength of the dollar has much to do with the prices of Apple machines. They have been around that same price for years, and if the dollar were to get some strength in the world economy Apple wouldn't lower prices.

Same here Ziggy, I do the same thing but I am sure that your one liners are beneficial. I really don't mind one liners but could they at least add something, or even express a view point or give info that has been over looked?

iPhone users don't have to use every thread to tell people how much they love their phones...

rajalot

macrumors member
May 27, 2008
I'm considering a 20" (possibly 24") iMac mainly because of its design & silence. Sure, hardware is pretty flimsy AFAIK and Radeon in it is an outdated POS, but at least I don't get bad vibes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.