Dropbox image hotlinking no longer working

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by OneAnswer, Dec 14, 2014.

1. OneAnswer, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014

OneAnswer macrumors member

Hello.

Just found a thread on MacRumors about MTS files and one answer contained some images hosted on DropBox, which were censored out.

Here is an example: [​IMG]

Is the problem on the DropBox side or on MacRumors side?

It seems the "*****" is the censored part, though five stars show for four characters.

Aha, it is "X"dot"CO", I guess the X is for eXperimental and CO is for Come On?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, it looks like its getting caught in the censor filter. I'll bring this up in the back rooms for the admins can see it (if they don't see this thread.)

3. OneAnswer thread starter macrumors member

Thank you.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You should be all set now, dropbox.com is no longer getting caught in the profanity filter.

5. OneAnswer thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.

Let's see if this works now:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/1iassuualy9phjy/PhotoExample.jpg?dl=0

Hmm, stupid new Dropbox?

I can open the little blue box by right clicking to open the image in a new tab or window and it shows me the image, but I still get the blue box with the question inside of it when using the IMG tag.

6. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

I'm also not getting the pictures in the thread here, and I also have success when I cmd-click the little blue question-mark boxes to open the photo in another tab.

7. D.T., Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014

D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

I wasn’t 100% sure that internal view original link was secure so pulled it :)

The bottom line though, the <link>.jpg isn’t really a JPG, it’s a service endpoint that generates markup with the image, that’s what’s breaking.

[​IMG]

8. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Attached Files:

9. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Yeah, did it above as well. The dl=1 param that forces a download doesn’t generate the additional markup that basically munges up the {IMG} tags, but I wasn’t aware they had a bandwidth limitation!

I had an internal view link posted that’s probably not bandwidth monitored but like I mentioned, I don’t believe it’s for external use (which is DB provides a specific public interface).