Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

235715-dropbox_ipad.jpg

Dropbox, the popular document syncing and sharing service, has updated its iPhone application originally released last September to add iPad compatibility. The new universal Dropbox application now supports all three iPhone OS devices with the iPad gaining access to a customized interface able to take advantage of the much larger screen size.
What's New

- iPad support
- Take advantage of all the features offered in Dropbox for iPhone from your iPad!
- Export documents from your Dropbox into third-party iPad apps.
- Better support for landscape orientation on iPhone & iPod.
Dropbox continues to offer three levels of service with varying amounts of storage space: Basic (2 GB, Free), Pro 50 (50 GB, $9.99/month), and Pro 100 (100 GB, $19.99/month). The App Store application remains free for all users.

Article Link: Dropbox iPhone App Goes Universal to Add iPad Support

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Very good news! I am a HUGE Dropbox fan and to have it now on my iPad, with added functionality, is an awesome bonus.

Comment

doeman

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2010
Yay! Love Dropbox.

If you want to try it out – you will get a permanent free 2.25 GB account (250 MB extra) when registering using this link:
<snip>

Then you can get up to 10.5 GB of free space in total after receiving bonuses from referrals.

Comment

alhasa

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
Yay! Love Dropbox.

If you want to try it out – you will get a permanent free 2.25 GB account (250 MB extra) when registering using this link:
<snip>

Then you can get up to 10.5 GB of free space in total after receiving bonuses from referrals.

nice try mate.. but its capped at 3gb for free users :rolleyes:

Comment

doeman

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2010
nice try mate.. but its capped at 3gb for free users :rolleyes:

Nope. You will get 2 GB from scratch (2.25 GB if you use the referral link). Then you can get another 250 MB just by fulfilling some additional steps.

Then… invite your friends, family and random strangers. They raised the possible bonus space from 3 GB to 8 GB one month ago. This applies to all existing free account holders as well. You still get 250 MB per referral but if you max out referrals you can get a total of 10.5 GB for free! :)

Btw, the 250 MB bonus will kick in once Dropbox is installed (which is done in a minute).

Comment

vvebsta

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2006
dropbox is a handy piece of software but they are missing some key features in this release. Mainly Events, where you can see when something is added or changed to the dropbox. The power of dropbox is being able to share a dropbox folder with someone else. What is the point of the app if you can't tell when something is updated or changed in the folder? Also they should go a step further and add push notifications to alert you of changes.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

djdarlek

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2003
I love dropbox, but it annoys me that they couldn't be bothered to resize that iPad App background for the iPad.. you can see it's tiling vertically.

Comment

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
I love dropbox, but it annoys me that they couldn't be bothered to resize that iPad App background for the iPad.. you can see it's tiling vertically.

That's a keynote presentation.

Also, I'm glad I signed up early, I have 5GB without the referral stuff.

Comment

spydr

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2005
MD
This is outstanding! I wonder if Dropbox will be able to sync any changes I have made to that exported file with my iPad apps, so that I see the updated version when I get to my desktop?

Comment

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
Can someone give me some practical / every day uses of Dropbox - especially across a couple devices like a Macbook & iPhone/iPad.

I see it recommended often, but haven't thought hard enough about how I might be able to take advantage of it. But I don't want to miss out on a good productivity enhancer! :D

TIA.

Comment

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Can someone give me some practical / every day uses of Dropbox - especially across a couple devices like a Macbook & iPhone/iPad.

I see it recommended often, but haven't thought hard enough about how I might be able to take advantage of it. But I don't want to miss out on a good productivity enhancer! :D

TIA.

Its uses vary greatly. DropBox is basically just an online storage account where you can upload any type of data and media and then share it with others so that they can view/download it on their hardware. Works great, also, if you're working on something @ the office. All you do is "drop" the file in the "box" and it automatically syncs. By the time you get home and access the "box" that file has been updated to how you left it at the office; and vice versa.

I personally use it mostly for media-sharing. I often will post things I like to share with friends and family and it's quite nice to be able to send this link to them with just a few taps on my phone anytime I'm on the go.

Actually, I was at the end of my free trial with MobileMe and right as I was about to purchase the membership, I discovered this service (and app) and totally opted for this. It is very similar to iDisk (minus the crazy $99 yearly membership mee).

Comment

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island

TIA.

As a college student, I find it very handy. I keep all my school folders in my Dropbox folder. So when I download notes that are offered online from my professors, or type up my own notes or papers, they are always in my Dropbox folders. This way, I can study before a test using only my iPhone, and also if I need to print out a paper or forget to, I can run to the lab at school and download my paper and print it out right away. It's a good way to keep all my important school documents with me wherever I go, literally.

As a side note to the discussion above, when starting with the 2GB free account, it was capped at 3GB additional space, meaning you could go up to 5GB. I know this because I did it right away when the app came out for iPhone. Now the limit is 8GB of extra space, bringing the total possible for free accounts to 10GB of storage.

Comment

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007
The open in iWork apps is great. I tried it out last night, very useful.

Comment

moloukhya

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2007
Thanks in advance to any who use my referral link! As mentioned earlier, you get 2.25GB instead of 2GB and I also get the same increase.

Here's my link:
<snip>

It's a great service, similar to the online file storage MobileMe offers :)

(Of course MobileMe also adds an email address, Find my iPhone etc, but if all you need is the storage part this is great!)

Comment

Shasterball

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
BTW. Dropbox is amazing. I use it across 3 computers and my iPhone. Fantastic really... Good to see they are actively developing....

Comment

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Dropbox is great. I have 10.25GB of free storage from referrals. :D

Comment

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

TIA.

Well, let's say I want to share this with you:

duck_cat.gif

(You're looking at Dropbox at work! Ain't it swell?)

I can just drag it to my dropbox folder on my Mac, wait a second, and then get the public link for it to paste here. Much quicker than messing around with my FTP program and my server.

And hey...now that file on my iPhone, my laptop, AND my wife's iPhone instantly too! Just drop stuff in a folder and you've got it everywhere. Ever e-mailed yourself a file so you'd have it later? This replaces that and it's SO much easier, faster, and nicer than clogging up your e-mail inbox with files for yourself.

I also use it for sending something like a 100 MB zip file to someone. Their e-mail program won't accept that...just send them a dropbox link!

I really love this service.

Comment

rfahey

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2009

TIA.

I keep my web-development projects in my dropbox folder. When i'm on the road and working on things, they are on my computer as soon as I get home. Without having to search for a thumb drive to sneaker-net them on. Or bother with booting up my laptop to copy a file over the network. If I happen to be working on my laptop at home, any changes i make on either computer are transferred directly between all my synced devices using lan sync.

If you collaborate on documents you can easily share folders with others using dropbox, and you can set permissions on those folders so people can look but not touch, etc.

The iphone app is great if you need to quickly look over a document or you can email a download link to the file using the app. There are two things I'd like to see the app able to do: 1) save photos to the camera roll so you can use them as backgrounds or to upload to flickr or facebook. 2) the ability to email an entire folder, i.e. a zipped version of it. I don't believe you can do this using the web or PC versions but it's easy in those versions to compress a folder and send it manually.

Comment

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
We use Dropbox to sync our iPhone development projects at spankinapps.com. It is simply better than sliced bread.

Comment

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
The problem i have with dropbox on the ipad is that, you cant edit files like word or excel.

I can pull them into pages and goodreader but whats the point in that if i can't make edits when i need to.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.