Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following limited testing of native support, Dropbox's Mac app built for Apple silicon is now available to all beta testers.

General-Dropbox-Feature.jpg

Earlier this month, Dropbox began testing native Apple silicon support with a handful of beta testers, promising to expand testing to all beta users before the end of the month. Now, all Dropbox users who have enabled "Early releases" in their account preferences will have access to the native Apple silicon app.

On a support page, Dropbox says that users on Apple silicon Macs can expect to receive the newer version within 24 hours after joining the early releases program for their account. Here's how to join the program:

1. Go to dropbox.com and log into your account.
  2. In the top right-hand corner, click your profile picture and go into Settings.
  3. Under General, locate Preferences and toggle on "Early releases."

Dropbox faced criticism late last year following confused messaging from the company about whether its client would adopt native Apple silicon support, forcing customers on Apple's latest Macs to use a version of the app built for Intel-based computers. Amongst Mac users, Dropbox has been criticized for being poorly optimized, leading to excessive memory and battery usage.

Article Link: Dropbox Mac App With Apple Silicon Support Now Available to All Beta Users

Last edited:

Javier_gl

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
Barcelona, Spain
I just use their web app.
That's what I do... but sometimes it's really impossible, because in my company we use Dropbox as our NAS (Network Area Storage) for sharing files and folders and work in the same project. We've been using Dropbox for 10 years now, and we are more than happy: no file lost in 10 years!!!! And the ability to recover older versions of a file, rewind a folder, share with all the World, having access to more than 5TB of files in ALL my devices...

So, for an Apple Silicon user, this is good news.

For us, OneDrive nor Google Drive nor Apple iCloud are as convenient as Dropbox, nor as powerful. iCloud is a no go because of the Apple-first/Apple-only approach, and no Business plan with lots of storage; Google Drive is a nightmare and a mess (and we don't want to share more information with Google), and only lately its beginning to work nice; and OneDrive is playing catch with Dropbox, but still its a Windows-first / Microsoft-first approach.

ss2cire

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
Earth?

Following limited testing of native support, Dropbox's Mac app built for Apple silicon is now available to all beta testers.

General-Dropbox-Feature.jpg

Earlier this month, Dropbox began testing native Apple silicon support with a handful of beta testers, promising to expand testing to all beta users before the end of the month. Now, all Dropbox users who have enabled "Early releases" in their account preferences will have access to the native Apple silicon app.

On a support page, Dropbox says that users on Apple silicon Macs can expect to receive the newer version within 24-hours after joining the early releases program for their account. Here's how to join the program:

1. Go to dropbox.com and log into your account.
  2. In the top right-hand corner, click your profile picture and go into Settings.
  3. Under General, locate Preferences and toggle on "Early releases."

Dropbox underwent criticism late last year following confused messaging from the company about whether its client would adopt native Apple silicon support, forcing customers on Apple's latest Macs to use a version of the app built for Intel-based computers. Amongst Mac users, Dropbox has been criticized for being poorly optimized, leading to excessive memory and battery usage.

Article Link: Dropbox Mac App With Apple Silicon Support Now Available to All Beta Users
While I can appreciate the developers attempt at making sure things are smooth in the transition… why is it taking so long? For the most part it should be a checkbox and pretty much done… unless they aren’t handling our data the way we think they are?

Reactions: KeithBN

jchap

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2009
While I can appreciate the developers attempt at making sure things are smooth in the transition… why is it taking so long?
The transition to Apple silicon might mean a total rewrite of some of the code in the original app. That would of course mean a considerable investment of time in coding, testing and bug-squashing before they release to the general public.

At the very least, debugging time has possibly doubled for them, now that they are presumably building a universal binary. This Apple website for developers does indicate that.

The Intel version has been working okay for me under Rosetta 2 on my M1 MBAir. It is, as always, a resource hog, though.

iBluetooth

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2016
Well, at least they did it now. I wonder why they were mums and in denial in the last two years....
This was probably a decision by a manager, that was out of touch with the users. This happens when companies age. This manager may have though that M1 was going to flop also.

Reactions: sydneysider88

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Glad to hear this. I don't have an M1 mac yet, but maybe in a few weeks.

Despite what others here say, nobody beats Dropbox in terms of speed of syncing. I have paid iCloud and OneDrive accounts, and they both suck compared to Dropbox on this issue. When you're working remotely, having files sync in realtime, rather than minutes later is a must have for me. For this reason I do all my work in Dropbox, and use OneDrive for stuff I don't care about being "slow".

Shirasaki

macrumors G5
May 16, 2015
Now one has to wonder why Dropbox initially didn't want to bother about Apple Silicon version even AFTER Apple announces the transition away from Intel processor, with actual products released and available for sale.

Now that they are in beta, I wonder how long that beta period would last. Hopefully not for eternity. I am not particularly impacted by this move cause I have practically nothing on Dropbox, plus my PC could handle syncing just fine, but having this one big app (It's Dropbox of all things) out of the way is certainly nice to know.

TrancyGoose

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2021
I wonder, what do these companies who are so late were thinking?
Imagine, Top Managers in a meeting room - "Damn, so expansive, let's wait, maybe Apple won't move the their own silicon on computers and continue with intel?" Goes to Logitech and Dropbox specifically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.