Dropbox or the (newly updated) cloudapp?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eroxx, May 3, 2011.

1. eroxx macrumors 6502a

In terms of cloud sharing/storage, do you prefer one over the other? Why? Especially in light of Cloudapp's recent update ...

Thanks!

2. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

DropBox has been integrated into quite a few Apps (1Password being notable). This is the first time I've ever heard of CloudApp.

CloudApp doesn't make it clear how much storage is available, but I saw a couple of forum posts suggesting that their Pro plan gives 250MB. DropBox gives 2GB for free.

Just on lack of storage and pricing information, I see no point in trying CloudApp.

3. eroxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've done a little research ...

cloudapp lets you move a file into a menuicon and then immediately a tinyURL is copied that you can paste to people to see that file. THAT is a huge feature.

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

You can do pretty much the same with Dropbox: right click on any file or folder in your dropbox and get a sharing link for it which you can send to anyone whether they have dropbox or not.

5. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

http://pctechtalk.com/2011/cloudapp-vs-droplr-is-there-a-clear-winner/

CloudApp Review (Mac OS X)
    CloudApp Instantly Shares Any File, Is My New Favorite Timesaver

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

eh, there is something about being able to take a screenshot and have cloudapp put a tinyURL link in your clipboard 5 seconds later ready for you to paste that makes me choose it over dropbox (i have both on my computer though).

it really depends on the uses in each scenario.

8. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

As I said, I can do exactly the same with Dropbox: I have my desktop in dropbox (symlinked) so when I take a screenshot, I just right click on it and select Get Shareable Link from the dropbox menu and it gives me a short tinyURL link. Granted, it doesn't automatically copy it to the clipboard for me, but that's not a huge issue ;)

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

in my scenario it is, i normally do 20-30 screenshots a day, your method adds a lot of extra time once you add it up :p

10. kalex macrumors 65816

How come I don't have that option under dropbox menu?

11. reubs macrumors 68000

In my mind they're two completely different applications.

Dropbox is for storing files and syncing multiple computers/devices to each other and for keeping various apps synced up.

Cloudapp is specifically for sharing files.

If you're looking to share files or upload things and send links out for it, Cloudapp is it. If you're looking for a way to keep devices and computers synced up, go with Dropbox.

12. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Need to be in Public folder.

Add to add to Dropbox, there is no file size limit for the desktop client and you can get something like 16GB free.

13. Phil A., May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011

Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

What version of Dropbox are you using?

No, it doesn't: With the latest versions of Dropbox you can get a shareable link for any file or folder anywhere in your dropbox - see here

14. satirev macrumors 6502

15. kalex, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011

kalex macrumors 65816

16. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Ah cool, thank you!

17. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

18. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Ah, thats awesome...no more moving everything to the Public folder. At one time I thought it would be nice to upload every attachment that was emailed to me to dropbox via this one service. Well I have a bunch of crap in dropbox now and dont quite remember how I did it :eek: Damn school emails us something with a picture everyday, spamming my damn dropbox :mad:

19. eroxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

What does this new sharing model do, as opposed to the old one?

Is there now even a point to the public folder?

Thanks!

20. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The old sharing model would only allow you to share a file that was in your public folder, and everything in there was public (hence the name)

The new sharing model allows you to generate a link to any file (or fodlder) anywhere in your Dropbox and send that to someone so they can download the file or access the folder. Also, if you decide you don't want to share a file or folder anymore you can just delete the link and stop sharing it rather than having to move it out of your public folder

21. eroxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the quick reply --- does it still necessitate sharing the file via the website, or can you do it from the dropbox folder itself?

22. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Works from site only, can still only generate a code from the website or public folder.

Desktop
    -Public Folder

Website
    -All Files and Folders

23. eroxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

24. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Probably will be able to in the desktop client after its out of beta im assuming unless I got the wrong client.

25. aoaaron macrumors 6502

my 3 uses of the internet cloud atm:

dropbox = backup + accessible source for all my work
    evernote = note taking, uploading useful web pages and generally improving my web browsing experience x10
    cloudapp = sending screenshots, small files to friends

thats also in order of how much i use them. cloudapp i haven't found very useful compared to dropbox and evernote.