Dropped brand new MB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by deltaiscain, Nov 8, 2008.

1. deltaiscain macrumors regular

Hello,
    My friend dropped his 6 day old mb and now it has a big dent in the bottom, and one a bit to the side. Also there is about a 1mm gap between the ethernet port and the bottom now. He asked me if he could get apple to replace it for free. His keys are slanted as well. Could he return it and get a new one? He bought it in the us, and then he flew back to poland.
    Thanks.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Why should Apple replace a computer he damaged? :rolleyes:

These threads kill me

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

4. deltaiscain thread starter macrumors regular

Is it possible for him to get it replaced if his function keys are slanted? that was before he dropped it already

thanks.

EDIT: He just told me all the keys are slanted a bit up on the right. Can he get it replaced because of that? and will he get a whole new one? or will they just put a new keyboard in?

5. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I agree. I wish Apple had an additional plan people could by for accidental damage like some 3rd party companies do (ex: Best Buy), but until they do people need to be more careful or buy the 3rd party additional warranty.

6. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

NO, once the see its been dropped(and they will check) it voided :) you might be able to let them fix the keys they will not replace it, just repair it.

7. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

If your friend has got home insurance, that would cover for the damage that he caused.

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Genius: What the hell happened to this Mac???

Friend: Just disregard what the dump truck did backing over it. For God's sake man, don't you see those slanted keys??? This is totally unacceptable!! Apple should be ashamed of themselves... I want a new Mac and an iPod for my trouble!!

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

9. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

Some how i don't think it's a friends, it's yours.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

LOL +1 and FOR ONCE some dumb ass can't reply to this thread blaming America for the stupidity because this guy is in Poland! LOVE IT!

11. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I was thinking the same thing.

12. deltaiscain thread starter macrumors regular

Lol, no it's his. I have a mbp, and i would go instane if i dropped it. Haven't tough:cool:
    I am extremely carefull with my stuff

13. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

When I exchanged mine, they didn't look at the bottom or anything, I just told them what was wrong and he swapped it out. I wish Apple had accidental protection like Best Buy and I almost bought my from them for that reason.

14. deltaiscain thread starter macrumors regular

So will they replace something, anything for him? Btw, there are no apple stores here, only resellers, called iSpot's, but he does have his proof of purchase.

Thanks.

15. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Maybe they have a 3rd party device they can use to replace his butterfingers

C'mon, he dropped his computer
    Why should Apple be liable for that??

They get enough crap over battery covers, dead pixels, warped lids, et. al.
    They should be liable for your "friends" butterfingers??

Sigh...

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

16. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

No, your friend is screwed. He'll have to get it repaired at his own expense or deal with it in his current state.

He dropped an expensive computer, you can't expect a computer company to replace it free because of a minor defect after the damage that was done.

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No, you see the drop voided the warranty. I don't believe it is expressly stated in the warranty, but if you read these forums enough Apple has denied warranty repairs to people who have laptops that showed true signs of wear (tiny dents and the like). Your friend is unfortunately screwed. My guess is the slanted keys were only discovered after that large dent happened. In other words, your friend found a reason for return and now would like a new computer.

Be happy, I mean, tell your friend to be happy that it still works.

18. Ping Guo macrumors 6502

Ping Guo

Just have your friend take it to a Polish auto body shop and have somebody bang out the dents with a mallet. :p

19. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You are missing the point
    It isn't that huge honking dent that is the problem

It is those d*mn slanted keys... they are just unacceptable and he can't live with them a moment longer

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

20. Ping Guo macrumors 6502

Ping Guo

SLANTED KEYS??

That's just crazy talk.

More likely, one of your friend's legs is shorter than the other, thus giving the impression of slantedness. I suggest orthopedic inserts or corrective surgery for your "friend".

21. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Hahah!!! Sorry, but your friend most likely voided his warranty. They'll look at it and blame everything on the drop.

22. aristobrat macrumors G4

If he purchased with a credit card, he might want to check his coverage with them. A lot of them offer 90-day protection against damage and theft.

23. deltaiscain thread starter macrumors regular

He says the keys were slanted before the drop, but i don't think apple will believe that. So if i understand correctly, the warranty's gone because he dropped it?

24. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Technically speaking, no, but they'll blame everything they can on the drop if something goes wrong.

25. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

You got it by george! NO WARRANTY because it was dropped, not a year not a day.You are SOL!