Dropped iPhone 4; Glass smashed. Please Read on...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TW95, Aug 12, 2010.

1. TW95 macrumors member

I am a bit late posting this, sorry I just kept forgetting to post.

Precisely 2 weeks and 6 days ago my iPhone 4 accidentally fell out of my hand whilst trying to open a bottle lid (my fault I know). The next day I was off on holiday! I picked it up only to see that the glass back panel had smashed, no big deal. After a bit of research I found that it isn't covered under warranty but it is covered under my O2 insurance. I was shocked to find that I would have to pay £75 as an excess fee to get it fixed. The good news was they could have a replacement phone to me within 24 hours!

However..... I was off on holiday the next day (under 24 hours away). After a long 10 hour 20 minute flight.... back on topic... Before I left for my holiday I booked a Genius Bar appointment at Apple Store, San Francisco.

The replacement and repair of the glass would have cost $199 which is outrageous but they don't keep parts in so I couldn't go for that option.

I can't remember who I was served by but he was extremely helpful. He didn't seem shocked that the back panel was smashed (they obviously have a lot of them) but he explained that they don't keep parts etc.

He then said "As you are on vacation I can give you a replacement iPhone 4"

So I went into the Apple store with a working smashed back panel iPhone 4 and cam out with a BRAND NEW iPhone 4 for absolutely nothing.

Thanks, Tim

This just shows that Apple really does love their users, they have surprised and delighted me.

Attached Files:

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

The Genius probably thought your accent was sexy and cut you a break.

3. TW95 thread starter macrumors member

iPhone 4

That could be the case but I don't think it is.

4. molala macrumors 6502a

That's great.

One question though - wouldn't your replacement phone be locked to AT&T? That would be a problem when you get back to the UK.

5. TW95 thread starter macrumors member

Dropped iPhone 4 REPLY

No because it wasn't activated in store. I activated it when I got home.

He said that if he activated it I could only use it on AT&T so he left it to me.

6. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

Wait.. Are you saying that by activating your phone with O2 SIM it became unlocked? Or is it still locked but to O2 instead of AT&T?

7. TW95 thread starter macrumors member

Dropped iPhone 4 REPLY

That's the thing, he got it out of a special black box thing. They must be direct from Apple.

Sorry I didn't mention that. It wasn't one that they sell to you.

8. Berges macrumors newbie

Wait, so you are saying, if the phone isn't activated, The phone is unlocked? Even in the USA?
    :eek:

9. molala macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info. Wow, you were very lucky.

10. TW95 thread starter macrumors member

Dropped iPhone 4 REPLY

No, he gave me a phone without the box or wires etc because it came out of a special black box. These iPhones must be direct from Apple meaning they are unlocked.

I think that Genius bar replacements may be unlocked if they come from the black box.

Thanks, Tim

11. iambasil macrumors regular

What are the first few characters/numbers of the serial number?

12. OMGitsShan macrumors regular

Yes, and apparently that is true with the UK too. If you buy the iPhone at Apple Retail in the UK - its officially unlocked and stays that way even after activating with any SIM - so allwoing you to change SIMs as often as you want now and in the future. If you buy the iPhone from one of the 6 networks however, At the moment you buy it - it is technically unlocked, but by placing the SIM of the relevant network carrier inside, it becomes locked to that network.

This must be why Apple and AT&T insist on opening and activating it in the store without letting you leave.

13. TW95 thread starter macrumors member

14. OMGitsShan macrumors regular

These are just the replacement phones when people bring in broken/unuseable ones. Nothing more nothing less. That is why there is no fancy packaging because it is meant to be exchanged for a faulty one.

15. TW95 thread starter macrumors member

iPhone replacement

Yes, this is why they are unlocked for international visitors such as myself.

16. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

Hmm.. I had my phone replaced couple of weeks ago with one of these "black box" phones and it's most certainly locked. Oh well....

17. TW95 thread starter macrumors member

iPhone replacement

It is only locked once you have activated it.

So if you activate on AT&T it is locked to it. The same goes with all the UK providers.

18. iambasil macrumors regular

Cool. It really is a brand new phone too. I went into an apple store recently and all they had in the black boxes were refurbs (they all had 5k serials).

19. OMGitsShan macrumors regular

The probability of an international visitor seeking a replacement iPhone in the SanFran Apple store as apposed to a local resident is going to be pretty slim. As I mentioned in my earlier comment, the phones are all technically unlocked. So its not so much about "international visitors such as myself" as apposed to the way they do things. As the guy pointed out, if he put in an At&T SIM in your phone, it would have locked, which is why he didn't. The phones are just unlocked to begin with - nothing to do with local or international.

20. TW95 thread starter macrumors member

iPhone replacement

This is not what he said, he said that if he activated it over iTunes not if he put a sim in. A new iPhone will not activate on a network until it has been connected to iTunes.

21. davyreins macrumors 6502

I thought you could only get your iPhone serviced in the country that you bought it in...guess not?

22. TW95 thread starter macrumors member

iPhone replacement

It wasn't serviced. Please read all of the above posts.

23. davyreins macrumors 6502

I did read them. Sorry, I didn't technically mean "serviced" as in had repairs done to it. I just meant I didn't think you could take your iPhone in at all. I figured if you were in another country you were just out of luck...good to know that's not the case.

24. TW95 thread starter macrumors member

Oh sorry about that. I called them and they said it would be fine to make a Genius Bar appointment. So I did just that :)

25. Tial macrumors newbie

TW95: I was in the same boat as you.... since the back of the phone is slippery some way, some how the phone slid off my patio and landed straight on the face side and smashed the glass.... it didnt even bounce on its side but right on the face glass....

I called apple the same day made an appointment and they switched out my phone for $200... :(... oh well ***** happens..but atleast i got a new phone as well... my serial # start at 880..