Dropped iPhone, tiny crack - Still possible to replace under warranty?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by naz-dream-boys, Nov 17, 2013.

1. naz-dream-boys macrumors member

Yesterday I accidentally dropped my iPhone 5S, didn't see any damage at the time but this morning I looked at it more closely and found there was a tiny crack in the corner. I've attached some photos.
    Even with this small crack, would the 1 year warranty still be valid?

Attached Files:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Phyiscal damage usually voids any existing warranty. It all depends on the mood of the genius and/or if he notices it.

I'd say if you're looking to replace it because you dropped it, then that's not kosher because its not apple's fault you dropped it.

Bummers on dropping it and it cracking :(

3. LaynieGorilla macrumors 6502

What if the LCD is scraped in the same quadrant but NOT chipped? Can the warranty still voided dependent upon the genius?

4. iphonehype macrumors 6502

if you walk in and their is a clear fault with someone like battery they replace the handset or replace battery. It's a good company they won't be bad about it!

5. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

You can't get a replacement under warranty as it is accidental damage. Even if you have AppleCare+, they still wouldn't replace it I don't think unless the crack affects the functioning of the phone.

With regards to voiding the warranty, it depends whether the crack is deemed to have contributed to the breakdown. If you have AppleCare+ you would be fine for 2 incidents at least as it will cover 2 incidents of accidental damage.

6. neilmacd macrumors 6502

I'm guessing your from the UK? If so I've found the Genius staff have clamped down on the 'PR friendly/nice guy/oh go on then' behaviour.

They point blank refused to replace my iPhone 5 with a knackered sleep/wake button when my warranty had lapsed by 1 month. No sympathy, just a shrug of the shoulders.

In the same sense as your situation, I wasn't entitled to a free replacement, but not long ago you would hear stories of happy customers getting stuff replaced that they weren't necessarily entitled to, or expected.

Same for a few friends, who have had to put up a fight to get replacements they WERE entitled to.

7. AFDoc macrumors 68030

I know you said you weren't entitled to a new phone but why would you even entertain the thought they would do so?

8. neilmacd macrumors 6502

Based on mine and others previous experience.

The sleep/wake button issue is a well publicised one, some people have been lucky enough to get replacements as the problem developed before the phone was out of warranty (as was my case). But they didn't seek a replacement until it became more apparent.

In my case they didn't budge, and although I'm not entitled and I'm not angry about it, it's still a shame.

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Technically they don't have to, but if you ever need to take it in for an issue unrelating to the crack (such as a broken home button), I think they would take it in.

10. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

I dropped my 5 last year with skins on it, and when I needed a replacement, I took the skins off and there was a crack that looked exactly like yours.

Genius guy saw it, did not say anything and replaced the phone.

11. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Guess I didn't read well enough because that damn sleep wake button..... yeah I know about that first hand. I had one replaced even though my phone was "out of warranty" due to a tip of a headphone plug stuck in my jack. They did replace it because I "convinced" them the "problem" didn't cause the home button to fail but I was still in my one year warranty window.

In cases such as yours they should of been cool and swapped it simply because it is such a well known issue.... but I don't fault them for not doing it. I do however feel on issues that are KNOWN issues such as home button and power button failures, these should have extended coverage.

12. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

I replaced my ipad one week before warranty, the home button wasn't dead yet, but it started sticking. I didn't want to be at the mercy of apple so I rushed to replace it

13. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

* This is why they make cases.

* This is why they sell AppleCare+

* This is why there is insurance and 3rd-party protection plans (SquareTrade, etc).