dropped ipod touch in water

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by SaMaster14, Jan 16, 2011.

1. SaMaster14 macrumors 6502

I dropped my ipod touch (4th gen) in the sink today. Ipod works completely, but the speakers don't work. When I tried playing with the volume, it says the headphones are in (and they aren't).

Any suggestions? I put the ipod in rice (its only been a couple of hours) and again it works completely except for the speakers (headphones work when plugged in).

Thanks

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Not much you can do, except hope that it will work.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd take a hairdryer to it. Put it on medium, as the high settings are probably hotter than you should get it.

4. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

You probably should have put it into the rice first and let it sit for about a week.

Nothing much you can do now. You could probably try putting it in the rice again for a few days. Turn it off, keep it in the rice, and hope for the best.

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

sorry to hear the fate of your iPod ... as LAJ above mentioned you should have left it for a week in the rice.

good luck

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If the sensor in the headphone jack didn't turn pink/red and is still white, Apple might give you a replacement.

7. SaMaster14 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, it still works... its just the speakers that are the problem. I'm leaving it in rice right now, and I do hope it works.

Will check the sensor too.

thanks for the replies

8. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

9. dtblaze macrumors regular

10. razorme macrumors regular

razorme

There is moisture in your headphone jack which is tricking the iPod into thinking your headphones are plugged in. Use a hairdryer to gently blow into the jack for a couple of minutes (blow from a couple feet away from the jack). This should fix your problem faster.

11. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

reset the sensor

sometimes the sensor in the headphone jack gets stuck thinking there are headphones still plugged into it. this happened to me with my iphone. like others have said, use a hair dryer (GENTLY), THEN plug head phones into the jack and unplug them. this will reset the sensor. if that doesn't work try all the steps again.

best of luck.

12. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Putting it in rice for only a couple hours isn't going to do anything. The minimum, depending on size and amount of water, is 3 days. Rice does a good job soaking up moisture, but it's a slow process. Also, if you turn a device on before you get the water out, you run the risk of short circuiting components. If that happens, the device is dead no matter how dry you get it.

13. SaMaster14 thread starter macrumors 6502

After a day of leaving the device off and in rice, I turned it on with no problems. Speakers work, headphones work, screen is fine .... Its literally like nothing happened.

I guess I'm just really really lucky ... The device was fully submerged in water for a good second or two... But I dried it immediately and its fine...

14. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Yes, I once washed an old Motorola phone though an entire laundry cycle. After 2 days of drying in rice, it worked.

15. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

This is the good advice. If one end took on more water, have it facing downward. Shut it down and leave it alone for some time to make sure the liquid inside is fully evaporated and you might get lucky. You shouldn't try to operate it until then.

16. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

Heh. My friend dropped her touch in the toilet once; (I'm not going to even think about how it happened)

After about 4-5 days of rice it worked perfectly. There was water behind the screen, but after like two days it evaporated. No water damadge at all.

17. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

put silca packages in the rice helps get it super dry.