Dropped MacBook, charger port tilting inwards.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Miyukerano, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Miyukerano macrumors newbie

Mar 1, 2011
    I accidently dropped my MacBook on the side where all the ports are and the port where the MagSafe charger goes into has been pushed inwards. Now when I plug it in, the light is very dim and the MacBook says 'Not charging'. I know it's not the charger because I have tried both my brothers chargers and it didn't work. Do I have to send it to Apple or is there something I can do?
  2. AndyK macrumors 65816

Jan 10, 2008
  3. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

Apr 3, 2009
    you can replace the magsafe jack, it takes around 15 minutes and costs around 30$

it looks like the logic board has to come out, but it doesn't.

there are 2 scews holding it in and there is a small wire that has to be unplugged.

i can give you photo instructions if you would like to try it.
  4. Miyukerano thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 1, 2011
    Yes please. :)
  5. thepaintedman macrumors newbie

May 23, 2011
    I have this exact same issue, could you tell me how to fix it. The local Apple auth repair shop is telling me BEST case scenario 200-300.
  6. eman macrumors 6502a

Nov 5, 2007
    In the great white north
    If the OP is talking about the old style macbook, you don't need to remove the logic board. Just pull the keyboard off, take the dc-inboard screw out and push the dc-inboard back into position.
    You can find the disassemble instruction at ifixit.com
  7. Adhila macrumors newbie

Sep 6, 2013
    Charging port pushed in Macbook Pro

I didnt drop my MacBook Pro but I came home and found it like this after carrying it around in campus, please help. I phoned an Apple Store and they aren't giving me a price but they're telling me they'll have to 'strip' the machine etc and knowing Apple this will cost me alot. If I can fix this myself let me know PLEASE.

Could I have these photo instructions please ?:):eek:
  8. jav6454 macrumors P6

Nov 14, 2007
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    Picture instructions can be found on ifixtit. Yes, the Magsafe adapter is something it'd be easier to DIY.