dropped MBP but only slightly damaged.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deathcab4xtina, Nov 30, 2010.

1. deathcab4xtina macrumors regular

I know apple doesnt cover this kind of repair... but does it void my warranty all together?

this is the damage.. my poor baby is only a month old!
    [​IMG]

I was going to buy apple care down the road, but wont bother if i wont be able to use it for repairs not related to the cosmetic damage.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If Apple can show that a needed repair is attributed to the accident, they won't cover it. It just depends on what repairs may be needed. It doesn't automatically void your warranty coverage for everything.

3. deathcab4xtina thread starter macrumors regular

thank god. the zipper was open on my bag for some reason and fell out when i got out of my car, it it my foot, think my toe is broken, so im lucky such little damage happened... might have the case replaced down the road... anyone know the cost on that? probably fine just getting the lid replaced

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

If everything is working OK ... maybe you could make an appointment and have them check it out just to get it on record that everything is working 100% with the dented corner.

I am not sure if it will work this way, but what have you got to lose at this point.

5. deathcab4xtina thread starter macrumors regular

the corner is only slightly dented on the screen part, just scratched mostlly from the concrete..

6. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

That is the main reason I keep mine in this .....
    [​IMG]

Some people will flame me saying it keeps my MBP to hot but I have been here surfing and watching youtube for an hour and my temps are 45c....so blah on the temp issue. I love the protection it gives me and keeps my baby from getting all dinged up. I was at a point where I can destroy a windows laptop in less than 6 months. You could say I am a little hard on them. My macbook is around a year old and not one scratch or ding.

7. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

IMO, that is ugly as sin.

8. rnelan7 macrumors 6502

rnelan7

I feel for you, that stinks big time. I wonder if a skin or case would even fit on it now with the dent.

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Ouch, that's a really hard one. (Whether you should buy AppleCare or not)

I would try to sell it, take a bit of a loss, and then just start over with a new Macbook Pro. You wouldn't want your warranty to go to waste if you buy it.

Actually, you can return AppleCare and get it prorated, if that is what you want to do as well

10. DePaulBlueDemon macrumors regular

DePaulBlueDemon

What brand of case is this? New to the Mac World and I don't recognize the logo.

11. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Tupperware :cool:

12. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I actually lol'd when I saw this comment. Seriously, if you have to get a case, get one that looks nice. Get a Speck or an Incase... MUCH higher quality. I had one of those (Macally btw) cases on my old MacBook and it was soooo ugly.

13. deathcab4xtina, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2010

deathcab4xtina thread starter macrumors regular

I am taking a closer look at it now, and the picture makes it look wore than it is. The lid has the most of the damage, the body doesnt have a dent at all, just a scratch. The lid has a slight (very slight dent) but more scratched than anything, so I am thinking it will be fine, more looks like it got bumped into something.

Heres some better photos of the damage:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. barmann macrumors 6502

I'm curious, did it hit the floor after it hit your toe (ouch...), and from how high did it fall ?

A non-unibody would likely have a lot more damage - I dropped two of those ....

15. deathcab4xtina thread starter macrumors regular

It hit the one corner on the concrete after hitting my toe, which is pretty bruised, haha,i think the fall was myabe 1.5 feet at most, it slipped out of my bag getting out of the car. It is a unibody.

16. LikuidMetal macrumors regular

LikuidMetal

Lucky the stress from the impact didn't crack your screen.

17. deathcab4xtina thread starter macrumors regular

i dont think it hit that hard, i caught part of it at the last second, and my foot broke part of the fall.

18. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I would have had a heart attack. At least it still works.

19. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

I like this comment in Apple's marketing about the durability of the MacBook Pro:

"So you can throw it in your briefcase or messenger bag and pull it out at an airport, at school, at the office, or on location without a second thought."

Does that mean I can pull it out and not have to worry about someone spilling coffee or a soda all over the keyboard, and that I don't have to worry about somebody knocking the laptop off a table while on location? It can take a 4 foot drop onto concrete, right? I need not give it a second thought, says Apple, and I believe everything Apple says. :eek: