Dropped my 3 day old SS SB on granite floor...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Fireball Dragon, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Fireball Dragon macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

I took my SS Space Black AW off to charge it, and was just briefly cleaning it with a lint-free cloth. It slipped out of my hand, and hit the floor (granite) from a height of around 3.5 feet. Had a mini heart attack!A lesson has been learnt.

I've checked it over thoroughly, under bright light and various angles, and cannot find even the slightest amount of damage. Absolutely relieved! I have dropped my space grey aluminium one (once!) and it picked up a dent immediately.

Just how resilient is the SS SB? More than the standard SS? Anyone else ever dropped theirs?

2. JulesK macrumors 6502

I dropped mine (standard SS Series 2) when a strap came undone while pulling my hand out of my pocket. It feel onto a hard tile floor from about the same distance, and picked up a very small "dent" in the case right by the edge of the crystal. From the sound of the impact, I expected a shattered crystal, but the dent was it (no damage to the crystal whatsoever) and the watch otherwise seems no worse for it. Has worked perfectly ever since.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The stainless steel black model has a DLC or diamond like carbon coating where it is applied to the casing. That basically makes it harder to help deflect away from scratches and dings.

I have never dropped my space black stainless, but I have no scratches or damage at all to the casing, due to the DLC coating. Now my regular stainless model, that scratches very easily, because it doesn't have the protection of the DLC coating.

The regular stainless model can primarily remove most scratches with the use of a Cape Cod Cloth. If you were to scratch the stainless steel black model, you won't be able to remove the scratches off of it without tarnishing the DLC coating.

4. Fireball Dragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

Thanks, guys,

I was aware of the DLC on the SB, which is one of the reasons I opted for it (also much prefer the colour).

Any reason why you have 2 Apple Watches?

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I like the space black stainless and regular stainless, and I was undecided, so I purchased them both.

6. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

I went from a SS Series 2 to SB Series 3. I had a big 3 day renovation project at work and had the watch on the whole time. After a few bumps I checked for scratches and soon realized what a waste of time it was looking for scratches.

7. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

Any reason you have 2 pairs of shoes? lol

8. AppleZombie macrumors 6502a

Lucky you! Mine didn't win it's battle against Granite, but it isn't SS neither....

9. Boardiesboi macrumors 65816

Boardiesboi

So is this the best way to remove scratches from the SS? Do you recommend any other cloths to buff up a scratched SS?

10. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Using the Cape Cod Cloth is the easiest method that has the most promising results to remove the scratches relatively quickly and effectively.

Take a look at this thread for results using the Cloth:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/cape-cod-a-must-for-ss-owners.2039747/

11. Boardiesboi macrumors 65816

Boardiesboi

Thanks a lot! I'd definitely get myself a packet of those!

Do you polish yours often? Or once every few months?

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I polish mine about once a month. The stainless model accrues micro scratches relatively easily. The cloth removes them with ease. Just use caution around the display, but I have had no issue with affecting the display or oleophobic coating (Protective layer). To help remove any excess on the casing, use a microfiber cloth. The Cape Cod cloth is available on Amazon.

13. Boardiesboi macrumors 65816

Boardiesboi

Thanks mate! Bought one packet off eBay in Australia.

Maybe this would work on the SS edges of the silver iPhone X too?

14. Relentless Power, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Good question. The stainless edges on the new iPhone X uses a different method of protection around the edges, which is known as physical vapor deposition or PVD. It does not use a diamond like carbon coating like the Black stainless Apple Watch has. So I can't attest if it will successfully remove the scratches from the stainless band on the X. But it will be more difficult, because it's a thinner band surrounding the iPhone, you would have to use caution Around the display.

15. HeathH macrumors regular

I've been wearing the S0 SSSB with link bracelet since launch (after significant delay on shipping the original SSSB), and work often in construction environmental. I scraped the display across a nail reaching my hand in a wall cavity, hit the edge of the watch against a jagged metal piece reaching in a ditch, and scraped an aluminum clip board against the band while coming off a ladder. All this and not a single blemish anywhere, although I do need to start reaching in cavities and holes with my left hand.

The aluminum clip board initially left what looked like a huge scratch on the band. Turned out it was actually the aluminum metal that was deposited on the band, just wiped off.

I know ceramic is supposed to be an amazing material for watches, but the DLC coating on the SSSB is damn near bullet proof in my experience. I don't even worry about it anymore.

16. ZebraDude macrumors 65816

ZebraDude

I believe I will truly scare you! I have 6 watches! :)

17. Fireball Dragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

Is that 6 Apple Watches!?

I know one may argue about having a colour for each dress style, etc. But in all honesty, it would seem more like a chore for me decide which one to wear!

I purchased a Garmin fenix 5 AND forerunner 935 this year within a few weeks of each other as I couldn't decide which one I wanted more. I now find this more of a hassle to use both as opposed to being a treat. It's like having 2 mobile phones imo.

18. ZebraDude macrumors 65816

ZebraDude

I'm a technology junkie and the Apple Watch was a big factor in my high fitness level. I would sell some of them but the market for used watches is pretty low. I have 2 series 0 Jewelry grade watches, 2 series 2 watches, 1 Series 1 and a LTE Series 3.

19. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You have me beat ZebraDude. I'm going to have to catch up to you. Keep up the good work with the fitness.

20. Fireball Dragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

Wow! Genuinely curious now, but how do you utilise the Apple Watches for fitness? I'm a runner and cyclist myself (see link to my blog in sig), but use Garmin device for these activities. Did the Apple Watch get you into keeping more active?

21. ZebraDude macrumors 65816

ZebraDude

I used to be a 400 pound guy and I bought my first Apple Watch and lost 200 pounds and it now keeps me focused on my daily calorie goals. My Watch requires me to burn 1060 active calories each day. I will ride 26 to 30 miles a day on my MT bike or will power walk 6 to 8 miles a day on my cardo days and I strength train on the other days.

many days I will burn over 2000 calories but I must burn 1060 a day no matter what I do.

I use my fitness pal to keep my food diary as well...

22. amozo macrumors member

amozo

I have the S0 SBSS in 42mm. When I first got it I was putting it on in my tiled bathroom floor and the hole slipped on the sports band pin and the watch fell face down onto the tile floor from about 3.5 feet. I picked it up and the screen was completely shattered. My stomach fell to the floor. Luckily, I had Apple Care and took it to the Apple Store right away. They replace the screen for me and it was supposed to cost me $79, but the lady was nice enough to give it to me at no cost. Since then I always put the watch on under a soft surface and from less than a foot above the surface.

23. Fireball Dragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

That’s very impressive, hats off to you for making such an amazing transformation. And sticking to it! I love these real i life examples of people making such a positive change. Have you tried telling your story to Apple?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 17, 2017 ---
    That’s painful! Glad you got it sorted. I’m normally super careful, not sure how this happened, but could have come out a lot worse, just glad there was no damage! Phew! Yup, will have to be even more cautious now!

I know that in a coupe of years this watch probably won’t be on my wrist, and be upgraded. Won’t matter too much then, but like many others here, I’m really particular about keeping my gadgets in pristine conditions whilst I am using them.