Dropped my iPad 6 foot onto solid floor!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ernieUK, Jun 6, 2010.

1. ernieUK macrumors member

I went out yesterday for the first time without my iPad so I thought I would place it somewhere safe. Not sure why as my MacBook Air gets left out.

So I placed it high on top of a box on top of a tall fridge.

Got home and completely forgot about it as I was preparing for a BBQ.

Anyway - as I was prepping in the kitchen - it happened!

Out of the corner of my eye, I turned as my wife yanked the box off the top of the fridge and saw my iPad sailing to the floor with a big whack.

The iPad was in a neoprene safara cover so I couldn't see initially what state it was in.

My wife picked it up and I said "don't even open it - I know it's busted!"

So I slipped off the cover and - incredibly the screen was intact!

Not only that - not a dent on it - switched it on and even more incredibly - it works perfectly!!

Still can't believe it as it came down with such a whack - it must have landed perfectly flat or something - but all I can say is that these ipads are made of stern stuff.

Very very relieved :)

Thought I'd just share that terrifying 10 seconds with you guys!

Jon

2. Elise macrumors 6502

Thank god for the case! I never take mine out of its case, I'm too paranoid! Although I have the Apple case and I'm not terribly convinced that my iPad would have survived such a fall as the case is very thin, I'm still on the lookout for an alternative.

3. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

That's a pretty gnarly fall right there it survived. I definitely need to invest in some sort of Neoprene sleeve also. Only using the Macally bookstand which I know won't protect a fall like that.

4. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

Every time I read one of these "phew" stories, the pad is in a case.

I await the story where it's not and still survives.

iPad 2 in a rubber case rather than aluminium? I'm not kidding... makes a lot of sense.

5. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Hmmm unusual choice of location, but I'm glad you have been able to demonstrate one of the less publicised features of the iPad, the standard 'high box tall fridge industry drop test'.

I plan to visit Woburn abbey today where I will leave my iPad on top of a giraffe, I will report back later how it fares.

6. Baracus macrumors member

ROFL!! :D

7. XciteMe macrumors 6502

That's NOTHING.

Three days ago my friend Kiki came over my house to visit. As we talked, she decided "Let's go have lunch in the park!" so we agreed. And we prepared little cucumber-and-tomato-and-pesto-and-black-peper sandwiches on toasted bread, pasta salad with veggies and grilled chicken, and freshly made strawberry lemonade with mint!!!

Kiki hopped on my bike, riding behind me, and said "I hope I don't drop my iPad!"

"I'll go slow!" I shouted back (Los Angeles midday traffic is loud).

As I'm leisurely pedaling towards the beautiful Griffith Park, Kiki spotted a bakery along the way. "Oooh stop! I wanna run in there and pick up some black and white cookies for us for dessert!! They are amazing!"

So I smiled and watched as Kiki hopped off the bike, her iPad in her hand, and approached the crosswalk leading to the corner with the bakery.

She turned to me and smiled, and shouted "These cookies are going to-"

A SEMI TRUCK BARRELING DOWN THE STREET at 70-80 MPH struck Kiki like a bolt of lightning... I mean this thing came out of nowhere. All I saw was Kiki's body twisting and bending like I've never seen a body do before, and I heard a "THUD" like concrete blocks hitting the ground.

Kiki died (RIP) but before I went up to her to body to confirm this, I approached her iPad and, miraculously, it was UNTOUCHED! Not a scratch, dent or crack on the baby!! Somebody in the crowd of bystanders shouted "Hey I think that's her iPad!" and I shouted back, as I glared at him menacingly, "She would've wanted me to have it!"

Still cannot believe how tough this thing is.

8. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

Wow. Thank god it worked out okay!

9. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

You said Kiki.

Here she is with her old friends Hector and Zsazsa

[​IMG]

PS look until the new iPhone comes out I have nothing much worthwhile to contribute.

10. XciteMe macrumors 6502

XD Had to google this, cuz I'm not from the UK

11. RobBookPro macrumors regular

12. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

what are friends for eh?

13. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

I could imagine. My 1st gen iPhone is Tank Material.

Glad to hear you had a good outcome. whipes sweat off forehead.

14. doublebullout macrumors member

Glad to hear yours survived. Mine fell less than 2 feet, sustained minor scuffs on 3 corners, a small dent on the top left corner, and a single hairline crack right across the screen from top left to the middle of the right side. Less than 2 feet. No, it was not in a case. Rugged the iPad definitely is not.

15. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

Um... I read through your thread about you having an emergency because your iPad order was declined by your bank.

After reading this post I can only conclude one of two things,

Either you are trollin, or you have been off you meds for a period of time.

16. DocStone macrumors regular

DocStone

Yeah, I read that crappy thread too and he is trolling.

17. Kendio7 macrumors member

I was kinda expecting some pics of your smashed iPad at the end of your post. Congrats on it still being intact!

18. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Don't kid yourself, you were extremely fortunate. The iPad is surprisingly fragile, especially when it comes to falls to the floor.

19. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

Gotta call a spade a spade ... Troll! He posted this same spill in a post of mine.

20. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

21. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

Hahaha amazing storytelling and congratulations on your new ipad

22. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Allright now, these My iPad took a lick-en and kept on tick-en stories are getting more numerous..........

People

Be careful out there with our new little friend...or find some bubble wrap!

23. KevKaos macrumors 6502

Some of these people really need to get a SquareTrade policy on their iPad. Funny enough, I know what a klutz I am. I got a SquareTrade and a Safeware policy. I bought the Safeware first, for the theft protection, but after reading more, I liked the basic coverage of SquareTrade better so I bought that as well. They also had a good discount going on att. If it get ripped off I call Safeware, if it gets broken I call SquareTrade.

24. musascout, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2011

musascout macrumors newbie

Fixed iPad with a rathoer awkward technique

My wifes iPad fell from the bed and it hit the floor on its edge and instantly the screen stopped working, it glowed with a very dim light, I connected the iPad to the PC and it synchronized with iTunes, but the screen didn't show information, I told my wife "well we'll have to take it to the shop" she replied "ok", I decided it was worth to try something in this strange world of physics, (if one drop damaged the equipment maybe another one will fix it, I know it's kind of childish this thought but it was already damaged) so I picked up the iPad about a ft from the floor and dropped it on its edge, as if it was magic it instantly worked again perfect, the screen is as if nothing happened not even a dent.

Wierd but efficient.
    :D