Dropped my iPad about 2ft on to concrete.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thisiserin, Aug 21, 2011.

1. thisiserin macrumors newbie

Sad night on Friday. :( I got it the day it came out and treated it like a baby, went to set it down on a chair and it fell off.

Attached Files:

2. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Well, the good news is that the glass over the screen itself isn't cracked, so it should still be usable. Still, I'd take it to an Apple Store and see what they can do for you, either free or a paid repair. It might not be that expensive to fix, but I'm not sure if they have the iPad's screen cemented to the front glass like the iPhone 4 is.

3. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Not gonna be free, he dropped it. Apple doesn't do charity cases.

4. scorpionfalcon macrumors newbie

I beg to differ...just came from Apple store yesterday and the guy in front of me had his iPad 2 replaced for a cracked screen...free of charge.

5. melman101 macrumors 68030

Honestly, you'd be surprised. They haven't ever for me, but apparently for some people, they do :)

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I did the same thing (onto carpet no less) and Apple replaced it free of charge. They didn't have to, I was willing to pay for the repair, but they did it anyway as a goodwill gesture. (Which is now why I am the proud owner of an MBA and spending even more money in the App Store....). :D

Take it in, and be honest. When I told the Genius rep "I dropped it", she said "that's refreshing! You should hear some of the stories we get...". :rolleyes: If you have to pay for it, then you have to pay for it, so be it.

7. jakeryan9 macrumors newbie

I dropped my iPad, and it had a dent in the side, but that was it. I took it in because it bugged me, and they replaced it for free. I guess it just depends on who you get! Good luck if you do take it in:)

8. vega07 macrumors 65816

dropped mine, went to apple store, told them I dropped it. they were nice about it, but offered a replacement for I think ~$250.

9. thisiserin thread starter macrumors newbie

I took it into Apple today and they replaced it for free. I was honest, I mean I have Squaretrade on it but I figured I'd give Apple a shot, no harm in trying and it worked!

10. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

11. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

SO incorrect

12. LaurieAnn macrumors regular

LaurieAnn

Was it in a case when it fell? I'm just asking because if it was in a case and that damage still happened, I'd like to know what type of case to avoid.

13. karilynn macrumors regular

karilynn

Oh, yes they do, yes they sure do. I dropped my iPhone 4 and they replaced it for free. My friend dropped her 3GS and they also replaced the screen for free. Maybe being female and having a guy at the genius bar helps. :p ;)