Dropped my iPad - now what?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by notoriouscwe, Dec 15, 2010.

1. notoriouscwe macrumors newbie

Hey guys. I bought a 16gb wi-fi iPad in September, and the gf dropped it yesterday on pavement. It was in my incase convertible stand/case, but the tiny bit that's exposed got all scratched up (right by the lock button). The frame is also bent. The device works perfectly including the buttons, and you can't really tell when it's in the case but it's driving me completely insane :mad:.

Do I have any options here or do I just suck it up and move on?

2. aprofetto8 macrumors regular

Can you post pics so we can assess the damage.

Also, if you're girlfriend can't hold an iPad properly... how will she be able to cradle your first born child? Just kidding.

Sorry to hear about it man, it would upset me too.

3. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Celebrate that it works. Now you can always blame her for
    Breaking your stuff. "this is why we can't have nice stuff" archer.

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Options, like having Apple replace a unit damaged by negligence? No, now your iPad has character. Be glad it works so you don't have to buy another.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

What kind of options were u looking for? Don't know if that drop may void the warranty.

6. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

nope Apple does not cover accidental damage and from the sounds of it the cost to repair the frame will be so much that it wont be worth it...

I say dump your GF and move on :p

7. poloponies macrumors 68030

Some credit cards, like Amex, give you 90 days of loss/damage insurance.

8. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

It wouldn't hurt too at least try and get a replacement. Maybe take it to your local "genius" and see if you can catch them on a good day. Be super friendly, and if you're girlfriend is good-looking...bring her along:D

9. jtp098, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2010

jtp098 macrumors 6502a

get a square trade warranty. if you think it will get dropped again.... but also call up apple and ask how much it would cost to replace the outer case if u pay cash... if it comes out to be less then 150 which i do not think it will. then go to square trade and get the accidental care warranty for $99. wait a week and then call em up and say you dropped it and then they will fix it for the $50 dollar deductible. and there you go ipad fixed. then sell it :p before the end of january to get the best price before the second one comes out :D..

not necessarily the most ethic way to get it fixed but yea. it works.

haha i like this one. this always works I had my girl friend bring my computer in and they fixed it for free. Just send them in smiling and nice... no offense to any women here.

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

of course that won't work if the employee is a woman.

11. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

haha very true :p I have actually never met a women genius or had my computer fixed by one. but I told her to look for the biggest nerd there.

12. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

There are different "types" of women my friend...if you know what I mean.

Hah that's awesome- very clear directions from you.

13. thunderboltspro macrumors regular

Basically you will need a new one, repairing would be costly so...
    (Live with it til it dies) or (sell it then Sell money + Gf money = New ipad)

other options.
    Replace women with non butter fingers type.
    Don't let other people touch your pad.

14. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Haha, well done!

15. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

Options? So you somehow think that companies should be responsible for your accident? Thats is like getting in a car accident and going back to Toyota and asking them "so what are you going to do about it?" Why would you even think that :rolleyes:. I'd say your options are the following:
    a.) Move on (like you said)
    b.) Have her pay for a replacement.

To think otherwise, is exactly what is wrong with where today's culture is headed....ugh I'm disgusted

16. Wozza2010 macrumors member

You might be able to claim on your house insurance. Just say you dropped it down the stairs.

17. notoriouscwe, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2010

notoriouscwe thread starter macrumors newbie

Other posters have offered ideas like:

-Sell on craigslist, supplement with cash and get a new one
    -Warranty
    -Go to apple and try to get it fixed/replaced

Don't have anything constructive to say? Don't post.

Thanks for the opinions everyone else. I think I'm just going to sell it on CL and get the 64gb 3g model like I should have in the first place.

18. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Why is that? (64& 3G)

glad to hear you are not going to commit fraud as was suggested by someone else.

19. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

So not fraud if you leave it near the edge of the counter or he gives it to his girl friend again.. jesh look at this finger pointing whats the world coming too..

Not fraud is it anymore..

20. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you do get a new one, get an otterbox case--the defender if it's available. This way your butterfingers girlfriend can drop the ipad without hurting the precious.

21. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    Agreed! :D

And second, please don't commit fraud. It's something we like to call illegal and not worth the risk of getting caught.

Also, I agree with trying to see if you can replace the case but if your girlfriend bumped your car into something and it got damaged, would you expect your dealership to offer to fix it for free? I highly doubt so.

22. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

I don't see how in the world you deduced fraud... when you leave it on the counter and she knocks it down.... I never knew leaving something on the counter was fraud.. I guess i'll have to sue the crap out of my counter.. I mean in the US we already sue everything else that offends us for no reason. while I'm at it i'll sue my car dealership cause my door was stuck shut after it was really cold out. or sue my dog. i mean the list could go on stop misusing words please...

a fraud is an intentional deception made for personal gain or to damage another individual; the related adjective is fraudulent

if she knocks it off the counter from a place where u leave your ipad is it fraud.. em no..

23. LinkMx macrumors member

I think by fraud they meant his girlfriend taking it to the Apple store to get it fixed for free...

24. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Why not wait till next year for the iPad 2 to come out?

25. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I agree with this, normally I wouldn't recommend waiting, but since yours is still working I would suggest dealing with the damage until a new iPad comes out and then upgrading.