Dropped my iPad!

ScottFitz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2007
To make a long story short, at the airport after four insane nights in Tahoe and two Sammy Hagar concerts, I set my iPad on top of my large suitcase. It was in the marware leather case thank God. Case is black, suitcase is black. Turned around to grab my suitcase and the iPad took a 3-4 foot fall.

I about crapped. Landed flat on it's back. Works fine, no scratches or dings.

Had it a week. Next stop square trade warranty. Have to wait for a period.

Talk about freaking out. Feeling quite lucky to be typing on it right now. Being hung over and traveling with an iPad might not mix.

On a side note, my brother in law is a big PC guy and spent the last four days using it and will be buying one this week. Loves the size and travel aspects.

JTSmeed

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2009
I managed to drop mine without a case long before my hangover set in. Basically, I stood up with it in hand (well, only sort of in hand). The poor iPad went flying through the air, coming to rest at an angle up against a wall. I thought for sure that when I picked it up, I'd be greeted with dents, scratches, or worse. Luckily, there was no damage. Despite the scare, I'm still not going to cover it up with a case.

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
Whew!! Glad to see you are the same person who dropped their F...... pad. At first glance, I thought another person dropped there!

Mine ALMOST slipped out of my hands last night...thought my heart skipped a beat! There have also been a few times I have nearly fallen asleep with the iPad in my hands...and me jerking awake to catch the iPad from slipping away.

I have a carrying case...I just haven't decided on a every day hold on to it case. Yikes...this thread really needs to be my warning to "Get it DONE!".

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
Wow good deal. My close call was my iPad sat closed in my Apple Case and I tossed my Xbox controller right onto it because the iPad was not where I usually put it, but where I always put away the controller. Pretty obvious that would happen I guess. Smacked the screen hard too. Took me a few minutes to assure myself everything was okay.

snouter

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
I've had mine (incident free) for 4 days now.

Dropping it is my #1 fear.

I feel like it's going to happen, I just don't know when.:eek:

I'm careful with my stuff. Have never dropped a laptop. But something about the constant holding of this device makes me think it's just a matter of time.

snouter

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
I see cases as helping with scratches, which I don't care about.

I don't see a case helping much with a 3-4 foot fall.

w4rmk

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2006
I remember a few years back I got a brand new 12" Powerbook from my local apple store, took it out the box to inspect it and upon exiting my car it slipped out of my hands right onto the pavement and dented the corner. I ended up removing the bottom and doing some body work on the aluminum to get it as close as possible back to looking normal. But that was certainly a very bad day for me!

patp

Apr 10, 2008
first day my 7 year old son dropped it on the carpet. he was sitting on the couch getting really into a racing game and it fell out of his hands. iPad was fine, he cried. we hugged and laughed and all is fine now.

and this was without any case or skin.

int3rnal

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2008
first day my 7 year old son dropped it on the carpet. he was sitting on the couch getting really into a racing game and it fell out of his hands. iPad was fine, he cried. we hugged and laughed and all is fine now.

and this was without any case or skin.
Oh no, not carpet. I don't know how it could have possibly survived...

JTSmeed

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2009
Wtf why? So you can drop it again and then really be upset? Some of the cases out there now are good enough that you would hardly notice it on.
Yeah, I guess I'm a sucker for punishment. I prefer the look and feel of the iPad as the designers and engineers intended. I've had my 3GS since launch day and have never dropped it. I was hoping that I'd be able to be as careful/lucky with the iPad. If I happen to break it, then I will deserve having to buy a new one or doing the repair work. Nothing against any of the cases or the people who like them, just a personal preference.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
Yeah, I guess I'm a sucker for punishment. I prefer the look and feel of the iPad as the designers and engineers intended. I've had my 3GS since launch day and have never dropped it. I was hoping that I'd be able to be as careful/lucky with the iPad. If I happen to break it, then I will deserve having to buy a new one or doing the repair work. Nothing against any of the cases or the people who like them, just a personal preference.
Understood - just a tad contradictory thats all...

I feel the same - the devices that Apple puts out are made to be used sans case.

Battlestar

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2010
Boston
To make a long story short, at the airport after four insane nights in Tahoe and two Sammy Hagar concerts,
I would have thought that Sammy Hagar would have realized by now that it is time to hang it up.

I am glad that your iPad is okay and remember it could have been worse if you dropped it in the toilet.

Do they make water proof cases yet?

reppans

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2006
Least the iPad might better survive a drop in the toilet. Unlike the iPhone, it stands half a chance of remaining above..... ummmm "fluid" level ;).

Not that any of us would use it in such a inhospitable location, although it is perhaps one of the great advantages of this form factor :D.