Dropped my iPad!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ScottFitz, May 9, 2010.

1. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

To make a long story short, at the airport after four insane nights in Tahoe and two Sammy Hagar concerts, I set my iPad on top of my large suitcase. It was in the marware leather case thank God. Case is black, suitcase is black. Turned around to grab my suitcase and the iPad took a 3-4 foot fall.

I about crapped. Landed flat on it's back. Works fine, no scratches or dings.

Had it a week. Next stop square trade warranty. Have to wait for a period.

Talk about freaking out. Feeling quite lucky to be typing on it right now. Being hung over and traveling with an iPad might not mix.

On a side note, my brother in law is a big PC guy and spent the last four days using it and will be buying one this week. Loves the size and travel aspects.

2. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Sounds like you got off lightly, you're lucky.

3. wombat888 macrumors 6502a

I won't even ask ...

Congrats on the iPad survival. I dread my first drop. It just looks like it would be fragile.

4. keyofnight macrumors regular

keyofnight

Damn! My stomach sunk just reading the title. Glad it turned out, man.

5. medicscott macrumors 6502a

medicscott

after reading some related posts, sounds like the device is quite strong! go steve!

6. steel magnolia macrumors regular

Just makes me think more and more about getting the Squaretrade warranty! So glad you didn't have any damage....that would suck being hung over AND busting your iPad!

Patty

7. azsprty macrumors 6502

You sound like the world is crashing....it's a toy...relax

8. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Ridiculous comment. Why can't he be concerned about breaking an expensive gadget? If none of us should worry then the case manufacturers may as well not bother.

9. JTSmeed macrumors member

I managed to drop mine without a case long before my hangover set in. Basically, I stood up with it in hand (well, only sort of in hand). The poor iPad went flying through the air, coming to rest at an angle up against a wall. I thought for sure that when I picked it up, I'd be greeted with dents, scratches, or worse. Luckily, there was no damage. Despite the scare, I'm still not going to cover it up with a case.

10. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Whew!! Glad to see you are the same person who dropped their F...... pad. At first glance, I thought another person dropped there!

Mine ALMOST slipped out of my hands last night...thought my heart skipped a beat! There have also been a few times I have nearly fallen asleep with the iPad in my hands...and me jerking awake to catch the iPad from slipping away.

I have a carrying case...I just haven't decided on a every day hold on to it case. Yikes...this thread really needs to be my warning to "Get it DONE!".

11. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I nearly dropped my coffee there. Sammy Hagar's still alive????

12. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Wow good deal. My close call was my iPad sat closed in my Apple Case and I tossed my Xbox controller right onto it because the iPad was not where I usually put it, but where I always put away the controller. Pretty obvious that would happen I guess. Smacked the screen hard too. Took me a few minutes to assure myself everything was okay.

13. jalpert macrumors 6502

14. snouter macrumors 6502a

I've had mine (incident free) for 4 days now.

Dropping it is my #1 fear.

I feel like it's going to happen, I just don't know when.:eek:

I'm careful with my stuff. Have never dropped a laptop. But something about the constant holding of this device makes me think it's just a matter of time.

15. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Wtf why? So you can drop it again and then really be upset? Some of the cases out there now are good enough that you would hardly notice it on.

16. snouter macrumors 6502a

I see cases as helping with scratches, which I don't care about.

I don't see a case helping much with a 3-4 foot fall.

17. w4rmk macrumors regular

I remember a few years back I got a brand new 12" Powerbook from my local apple store, took it out the box to inspect it and upon exiting my car it slipped out of my hands right onto the pavement and dented the corner. I ended up removing the bottom and doing some body work on the aluminum to get it as close as possible back to looking normal. But that was certainly a very bad day for me!

18. patp Guest

first day my 7 year old son dropped it on the carpet. he was sitting on the couch getting really into a racing game and it fell out of his hands. iPad was fine, he cried. we hugged and laughed and all is fine now.

and this was without any case or skin.

19. int3rnal macrumors newbie

Oh no, not carpet. I don't know how it could have possibly survived...

20. JTSmeed macrumors member

Yeah, I guess I'm a sucker for punishment. I prefer the look and feel of the iPad as the designers and engineers intended. I've had my 3GS since launch day and have never dropped it. I was hoping that I'd be able to be as careful/lucky with the iPad. If I happen to break it, then I will deserve having to buy a new one or doing the repair work. Nothing against any of the cases or the people who like them, just a personal preference.

21. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Understood - just a tad contradictory thats all...

I feel the same - the devices that Apple puts out are made to be used sans case.

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sounds like you got mighty lucky OP. Be more careful in the future, you might not always be so lucky.;)

23. Battlestar macrumors 6502

I would have thought that Sammy Hagar would have realized by now that it is time to hang it up.

I am glad that your iPad is okay and remember it could have been worse if you dropped it in the toilet.

Do they make water proof cases yet?

24. reppans macrumors member

Least the iPad might better survive a drop in the toilet. Unlike the iPhone, it stands half a chance of remaining above..... ummmm "fluid" level ;).

Not that any of us would use it in such a inhospitable location, although it is perhaps one of the great advantages of this form factor :D.

25. spikefood macrumors regular

There was a stress test done by I believe it was pcworld but it showed that a 4ft drop onto carpet caused the LCD screen to break. So yes, it can be a fatal drop. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i5i3ozyPS8