Dropped my iPhone 5c. Does that void warranty?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by icaroc, Feb 17, 2014.

1. icaroc, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014

icaroc macrumors newbie

I got it 3 weeks ago and a friend of mine already accidentally dropped it on the floor. The device got a little dented right above the headphone jack. It's not a big deal, but I'm afraid that I might need the warranty in the future and that they will deny replacing the phone because of this dent.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It is hugely possible that anything that goes wrong with the phone will indeed be blamed on the dent. Apple has denied warranty service on many products if there is cosmetic damage such as that dent.

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Sorry about the accident with your phone, but if service is needed on the phone, telling them that your friend dropped it, not you, will not have any impact on their decision regarding warranty work...if granted at all.

4. Curun macrumors 6502

Curun

It depends.

If your screen cracks down the road, maybe, as it could make it look like, from Apple's viewpoint, that it cracked it. But then all screen cracks are non-warranty.

If it randomly stops charging, backlight dies, audio stops, etc warranty probably fine as a minor drop like that shouldn't separate any circuits.

It was an accident. You have to ask, how much is your friendship worth?

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

No, they most likely won't care.

Trust me, don't. It's just a phone, not something ruining a friendship for.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its possible but I've found that apple geniuses are pretty good and won't hold it against you.

Will that impact the friendship and is it worth it? I mean if it was a simple accident, would you lose a friend over a dented phone?

7. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

It depends on the issue. If your headphone jack fails...that probably would not be covered. If the battery is faulty the dent most likely will not matter.

8. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I wouldn't have her take responsibility for it. You'll ruin the friendship even if you just bring that thought up.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No, it won't void your warranty.

My dropped phones have never been denied service.

10. Russiaone macrumors 6502

How about asking your friend to pony up the funds that may be needed for future repairs?

11. dave420 macrumors 65816

I agree with most of the other posts here, but I wanted to add it may be a good idea to consider purchasing AppleCare+ if you're concerned about your warranty. You are still eligible, and it can now be ordered over the phone. In addition to extending the standard warranty for an additional year you will also be covered against accidental drops.

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Lack of respect for property
    Lack of respect for friends
    inability to take responsibility for own actions

Sounds about right.

13. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Thats because you live in Shangai. Nothing is denied there. :p

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Actually the Apple Store is very strict here.

Due to rampant fraud by unscrupulous third-party repair shops, the store will hold every phone overnight for inspections.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

My two cents...

If a friend isn't able or willing to accept that he/she caused damage to your phone and willing to pay for it, and considers the friendship terminated as a result of you asking, then that is no friend at all.

Back in high school my friend trashed my VW key. As a high school kid I obviously didn't have the means to fix it. I absolutely held him (his parents) responsible for replacing the key (it was a $300+ replacement... that was like a paycheck to me at the time). We are still the best of friend to this day.

Bottom line, you break your friend's stuff, you replace/fix it. You don't ditch the friendship over it. And the OP shouldn't even have to worry about losing said friendship. What sorts of crappy friends do you all have that think this?

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Because I am financially able to forgive my friends for the most part.

I have a friend who makes everyone pay him back stuff like this, and everyone treats him the same in return.

17. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Check your bank and home contents policies....My bank covers my iPhone for accidental damage of this type. All I had to do was resister the IMEI with them.

18. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I recently saw a guy walk into an Apple store with a black iPhone 5 that looked like it had been held up to a sander. It was possibly the most battered looking iPhone I have ever seen! He had a sim error and they replaced the phone no problems. The 'Genius' actually said to him 'you've had our best deal today' while laughing. I doubt they will hold a small dent against the OP should something go wrong further down the road. :)

19. Irishman macrumors 68030

Does Apple Care cover a cracked screen?

20. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Applecare+ will. It cost $99 for two years and carries a $79 deductible. If you do not have applecare+ I believe a screen repair from apple is $150ish?

Applecare warranty that comes with the phone, 1 year manufactures warranty, is for manufacturing defects e.g bad battery, logic board failure, screen problems (not cosmetic/damages).

If you only have 1 incident it is actually cheaper to have the screen replaced with no warranty than paying for Applecare+, if it happens twice then you are paying more.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

But even if you run out of "incidents" for accidental damage, you will still have two years of AppleCare coverage for the entire two years.

22. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

I dropped my iPhone 5 shortly after getting it and the front screen actually popped out a little bit. I could never get it back in all the way and even took it to the Apple store to see if they could get it back in. They could not get the screen to go back in all the way. It only stuck out like 1/2 a millimeter, but you could tell if you looked at it from the side.

A couple months later I took the phone in for having dust specs inside the camera lens and leaving obvious splotches on my pictures. They replaced the phone right there no questions asked.

As an aside to the story, I ended up putting a piece of clear tape over the little microphone hole between the camera and the flash and I have not gotten any more dust inside the lens...but I also get no sound from my videos.

23. iAmirul macrumors regular

iAmirul

It depends on (1) how bad the damage is on the phone and (2) whether your genius is having a bad or good day :p

24. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Correct!

25. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It's not a matter of what you are or are not financially able to do. It's not even really about forgiveness. It's about owning up to damages caused to another's property.

If your friend breaks your phone, they should pay to replace it. They should feel morally obligated to at least ask. Who breaks someone's property and just says "sorry". What kind of person is that? If that causes a loss of friendship, that friend wasn't much of a friend in the first place IMO.