Dropped my iPhone. Does that alone void my warranty?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stringerhye, Jul 22, 2010.

1. stringerhye macrumors 6502

stringerhye

Hey everyone. I'm a first time poster, but I've been lurking for a while. Unfortunately I dropped my iPhone 4 on the tile floor of my bathroom last night. Only from about one feet. I was lucky and it didn't break or shatter. It did dent the corner and chip some of the back bezel off.

I've only had the phone for three weeks. But I'm afraid that If the battery dies or the screen goes dead that they won't honor the warranty because of the drop.

So, do you think I'm alright? Am I just freaking out?

Also do you think they would replace the phone because of the drop?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It will if you cracked the glass.

Otherwise no.

3. stringerhye thread starter macrumors 6502

stringerhye

The glass itself is not cracked. There is a chip on the bezel that surrounds the glass though. Does that count?

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

no

5. RedSoxNation1 macrumors member

RedSoxNation1

I don't think it avoids the warranty, I heard if you shatter the glass it can but I've read some people on here that dropped their phone & broke the glass got an exchange.. So I don't really know lol! Try to contact Apple about it..

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No, bad newbie, no!

Contacting Apple may flag your serial. Not usual, but it happens.

7. RedSoxNation1 macrumors member

RedSoxNation1

My bad! Lol... I did mention that I didn't know for sure... I dropped mine & have a few scratches & scraps on the atenna band.. Sucks, but hardly noticeable.. Wanna exchange mine but I know they wouldn't do it lol!

8. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

they will if you say you have an antenna problem....

9. RedSoxNation1 macrumors member

RedSoxNation1

But since I dropped my phone there are some small scratches & scraps.. Doesn't it have to be like it was out the box?

10. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

no. they know it's an issue. they will probably just try to please you by offering a new device....who knows you may even get a new case tomorrow if you go. woot! -but i doubt it. :)

11. RedSoxNation1 macrumors member

RedSoxNation1

The scraps are hardly noticeable but since it's my phone I KNOW they are there & I don't like it.. So I want a new & perfect one.. Lol! But I wonder what kind of hassle I would get if I go in there & want a replacement..

12. Katanae macrumors member

They asked me if I dropped mine when I complained about a problem with the home button, maybe they do that for mechanical errors.

13. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

I lol'd so hard at this!

14. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

if it's not that noticeable...i wouldn't worry about it. just bring it back and say you want a replacement due to reception and proximity issues.

15. RedSoxNation1 macrumors member

RedSoxNation1

I know they will ask & I'm not gonna lie when there is scratches on mine lol! It still looks good besides those.. & if you truly look hard..

16. RedSoxNation1 macrumors member

RedSoxNation1

Lol! I'm sure they will examine the phone real close since I'm trying to get an exchange... But all I can do is try lol!

17. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

they didn't look at mine very close. i replaced mine for the yellow spot issue, they asked what was wrong...i said it has yellow spots that wont go away, they said ok and took it and went straight into setting to get the imei number and something else, then brought out the infamous black box and gave me my new phone. easy as sarah palins daughter.

18. RedSoxNation1 macrumors member

RedSoxNation1

Lol! Dude that made me bust out laughing @ work.. I'm gonna go try it tomorrow, & see what Happens, & if it doesn't work oh well bc there is nothing else wrong with it

19. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

The iPhone is designed to take a fall up to 3 feet. Even if you shatter the glass, Apple will sometimes replace it if you tell them the truth assuming you did indeed drop it from 3 feet or less.

In your case, simply tell them you are having the proximity sensor issue. Even with the dents on yours, they should replace it.

20. stringerhye thread starter macrumors 6502

stringerhye

So if I tell them I have proximity sensor issues do you think they would swap it for me? Is there another issue I could tell them that would guarantee a replacement without them really checking?

21. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

No, the proximity sensor issue will be fixed in an upcoming update. Apple will not help you with that. :cool:

22. stringerhye thread starter macrumors 6502

stringerhye

That's what I thought.

23. GaiaAero macrumors regular

I envy you guys if you have the proximity sensor issue. I don't have that problem but I do have the antenna problem and I live in an area with crap reception..... not a good combo <,<
    and now Apple won't exchange my phone probably since they're giving free cases which take 5 weeks to ship. FML

24. stringerhye thread starter macrumors 6502

stringerhye

Okay, what is the likelihood of a genius taking mercy on me if I went up and was honest. I don't think the phone should chip like that from only a foot, even if it was tile.