Dropped my iPhone on concrete

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CooKieMoNs7eR, Jun 12, 2011.

1. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

Ok so I've had a case on my iPhone since the day I bought it, last week I decided to go naked, and I last night it slipped out of my pocket and fell on concrete, I pick it up and I see a big crack on the front glass, the phone works normaly, but for some odd reason the back camera doesnt work, even though it's the front glass that is cracked not the back, and the front camera works normally :confused:...I don't have insurance on it, I'm guessing Apple will make me pay full price for a new or refurbished one, anyways, what's my best options now?? does anyone know any sites where they can fix this issue? also I'm thinking since the phone is gonna be opened to get fixed than might as well convert it to white iphone, but I'm still deciding about that one....any help would be appreciated.

2. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Apple will charge you approx $179 for a replacement. You'll be in and out of the Apple Store in 15 minutes.

3. JLemm macrumors regular

Happened to me, I took it to apple and they said everyone gets 1 free screen replacement. So take it to an apple store and tell them your situation. They usually fix them.

4. flipster macrumors 6502a

My friend dropped her 3GS and completely shattered the screen yesterday. She made an appointment with apple, and they gave her a new one completely free. Try your luck.

5. CooKieMoNs7eR thread starter macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

Alright guys I will def go to the Apple store and try my luck, but let's say they won't replace it, than what are my best options??

6. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

If they don't replace it for free. Then they'll give you the option to pay $200 for another one.

7. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

If they don't replace it for free than take the $200 replacment.

8. CooKieMoNs7eR thread starter macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

Also my phone is jailbroken, should I restore before I take it to the Apple store??

9. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

Yes.

10. pyro008 macrumors 6502

Tell them you were doing quality control testing and it didn't pass.

11. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Won't matter. They won't even turn it on. They will replace it either for free or $200 depending on their mood. :D

12. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

Look for the most cheerful genius and then act really sad XD

13. CooKieMoNs7eR thread starter macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

14. CooKieMoNs7eR thread starter macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

I just called my local Apple store, and they told me it's gonna cost $199 to repair the phone, so they are not even gonna give me a new one, and there is no such thing as repairing or replacing it for FREE, I don't know how you guys did it?

15. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

PROTIP: Don't drop your iPhone 4 on concrete.

Best bet is probably to go through Apple for the $200 replacement.

16. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

I would say that you should go to the Apple Store and try "negotiating" that again. Don't mention that you called. This way you are sort of getting a second chance to see if they offer you a free replacement. Otherwise, since you're already at the store, you can leave your phone there to be fixed for 200$

17. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

OP: Go in and be honest, tell the Genius exactly what happened and they may make your day a lot better. A Genius will be more willing to do you a favor if you are honest.

18. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I've never had to replace a broken phone but have had to swap it out before. I've learned the earlier you can go in the morning, the better the mood the employees will be since they haven't dealt with a bunch of people for the day yet..

19. CooKieMoNs7eR thread starter macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

I was honest, I was on the phone and I told the guy exactly what happened, but it looked like he had his mind made up, and he also told me that he had put a notification in their system under my name that my iPhone screen is cracked, and the only way to fix it is to pay $199 for repair, and it will take 4-6 business days, I mean to be honest I don't think this is the best deal out there, I mean at least give me a new one for $200, if I wanna repair it, I'd pay $100 max, it's just the front glass cracked that's all, the phone works perfectly...idk what you guys think?

20. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

sucks that they didn't give u a replacement. They should give a refurb one though for 200 bucks.

21. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Odd, I thought they didn't bother trying to repair the person's phone (rather they repair it but they use it as a refurb for some one else but OP doesn't get his phone back) and that their "repair" was them replacing the phone with a refurb (basically they never quote under 200 but they just repair any broken phone with a refurb instead regardless of the problem)?

Every story I've seen on here whether they pay or not they just get a refurb. I got the impression that even if you wanted them to repair it (maybe you're paranoid a different phone will have different issues) that really isn't even an option.

22. TexasDave macrumors newbie

You can fix it!

I did the same thing - smashed the bottom corner of my iphone 4. Got on the net, found BUNCHES of videos on Youtube about replacing the screen. Ordered one from HooToo for 70 bucks, then found out I could get one from Amazon for 59. Just got through tearing it apart and putting on the new screen assembly. Took about an hour. I followed the instructions downloaded from one of the youtube video site references. It's pretty easy, but LOTS of TINY screws. Just be patient.

It works just fine, looks like new. I'd do it again.

BTW, Iphone 3g screen assemblies are available on the net for less than three dollars!!!

Have fun!!

One tip: You have to get the screen and digitizer assembly. You cannot assemble the two without a clean room!

23. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Apple doesn't repair anything but the back I thought?? The $199 is for a replacement, their verbiage was just off, I'm almost sure.

24. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Mine fell on concrete while in a case. It shattered. Apple replaced it for free.

25. lionqueen macrumors 6502

Arrrghh, you're not supposed to CALL, dummy, you're supposed to just go down there, like people in this thread told you. On the phone is different, it could be recorded so they have to be more by-the-book. I don't know why some people make things so difficult for themselves. What I'd do is try a different apple store if you have one near, don't mention the call, just go in and be honest and polite and tell them you dropped it, and maybe, just maybe, you can still get it replaced for free.

I don't know why you were so worried about "what if they don't replace it" that you had to CALL them. You should have just taken your buttdown there and tried first. If they wouldn't replace it, then you figure out what your options are from there. Your need to knoe RIGHT NOW exactly what to do IF they didn't replace it, may have cost you your free replacement.

Moral of the story? Next time, just go down there.