Dropped my iPod touch 4th gen

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Warriors41, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Warriors41 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I feel like such an idiot. I dropped my iPod touch4gen three times each landing on the top right corner (where the sleep button is). Third times the charm and a small peice of the PLASTIC band between the screen and metal has chipped off. A peice about a centimeter long. The metal back has squished a bit on top causing the side to bend open a bit and now there is major light coming through. I don't really mind lights leaks but I've noticed a lot of them on my iPod. Now my main question is: what is the point of this cheap plastic band around the iPod. Other touches have a sort of rubber in between the glass and metal. I really think that this cheap plastic is the cause of all these light leaks. Like I really love my iPod touch but it makes me sad to have had dropped it and now I have to worry about dust and stuff getting into the small crack. My friend dropped his touch (2g) many times but nothing happened to it.

It still works perfectly fine, I'm just wondering if I should be worried in the future.

Also aside from the point, does anyone elses touch get really hot? (especially during games)

2. jwhite878 macrumors regular

First, I would make sure that the opening is covered (you probably did this).
    As long as there are no noticeable changes, you should be fine.

How long are you playing before it gets hot. Eventually, the device will generate heat, like most electronics (even the :apple:TV does eventually). Mine starts to get a bit hot after a long period of game time. It also may be worth noting that my friend dropped his old MBP and it gets scalding hot after medium lengths of use. We think it's because it messed up the fan system. Not sure exactly how the interior of the touch works, but it could be that same thing?

3. Warriors41 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying. I don't know what you mean by making sure it's covered... (I keep in a leather case most of the time) and for the heat, it doesn't have to do with dropping it because I noticed the heat the very day I got it. Generally it gets REALLY hot after a few minutes of playing a high graphics game, but even just listening to music I can feel a bit of heat. (it's no big deal)

Here's two pictures of the damage.

Attached Files:

4. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

I think he means a case.

I can't see anything other than a tiny chip in the bezel.... Is that it?

5. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

I'd try to gently bend the*metal back into its former position. I'd only use my fingers and be very careful not to do more damage by squishing and breaking another piece of the bezel. Then I would get a good silicon case for it so that the edges are covered. I guess a slide-case won't fit any longer.

The heating up seems unnatural. Since I can play games like pocket legends for about 30 mins until it gets warm (not hot).

6. Warriors41 thread starter macrumors newbie

supermassive, I actually tapped it against a desk a few times and it worked pretty good. No more major light leak! Yeah, i'll probably get myself a silicon case but I'm not sure if I should be worried about the heat. It doesn't seem to me like a huge problem. Thanks for the advice!

FireStar, there's a piece of the black plastic that broke off. Here's a better picture.

Attached Files:

7. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Ahh. I see. That's going to diminish resale value, BTW....

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

So will taking it out of the box. :p