Dropped my phone. Bad signal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TigerStephie, Sep 12, 2011.

1. TigerStephie macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

I dropped my phone 4 a couple days ago. It cracked the screen in the upper left hand corner but everything seemed to be working otherwise. Since I plan on getting iPhone 5 I don't really want to pay $ to fix it. That was until I realized that the drop caused some signal issues. It seems that unless there is a really strong signal it goes in and out and sometimes will show no signal or edge. I was planning to live with the crack but the signal issues are a problem. Any ideas how I maybe could fix this? Besides the obvious $199 at apple. Which is a last resort...

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Sounds like you may have damaged the Logic Board. Not quite sure though.

3. TigerStephie thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

How could I figure out if it was the logic board? I can try and post a picture of the crack later if that would help. But it cracked on the front edge really close to where the mute switch is. And spread from there. I had a bumper on when it happened and it dropped from 2.5 ish feet onto pavement.

4. oililymad macrumors 6502

oililymad

I've got exactly the same problem, cracked glass, and signal problems, fortunately its insured. Ill be using a better case for my new phone. Apple said I had likely damage the board when i dropped it

5. TigerStephie thread starter macrumors regular

I have had all 4 iPhones and never onced cracked a screen. In four years I have probably dropped my phone 3 times. And this is the first time one got damaged. I am do mad at myself too because I baby these things. I usually can sell my old phone in perfect condition after a year of a case and screen protector.

6. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

you could try taking it to apple because of the antenna issue...

7. TigerStephie thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe I will try and go by there on my way home. I went by there Saturday. I knew the answer was going to be $199 but I was kinda hoping they might have another option. They of course did not.

8. 2ndchancephones macrumors regular

how old is the phone? I know I have referred people back to Apple if the phone is under a year old and they will do a one-time replacement. The antenna could have come loose during the drop and that is what is causing the issues?

9. wavey.dave macrumors newbie

I dropped my iPhone 3gs last year. No noticeable damage to it, but from that moment on my reception was pathetic. Luckily it was still in warranty so I sent it off and Apple replaced it.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

This happens on my 3GS too. Oh well.
    Take it to Apple, sometimes they give a 1 time courtesy replacement for free.