Dropped my phone; it shattered; got a red back replacement for it

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Savage, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Savage, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011

Savage macrumors 6502

Savage

I just dropped my iPhone (bumper equipped) from about two feet off the ground and cracked the back.

I'm taking my girlfriend's little brother to the iFixDirect repair shop in Brooklyn to have his converted to white.

Considering the fact that I'd love to have mine converted to red if I could afford it but can't, I'm thinking about buying the red back only for $45. It would cost me $30 to have Apple fix my phone anyway. An extra fifteen for a red back isn't so bad, assuming it doesn't look stupid to me.

So, if there are any others out there with the original black front and a red back, I'd love to see what it looks like.

Edit: I got the red back. Photos are in the fourth post.

2. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

I saw the red in a few videos (full red iPhone 4) it's too glossy, I wouldn't recommend it.

3. Savage thread starter macrumors 6502

Savage

I have seen the full red from iFixDirect too. I like it. I'm looking for a black front/red back though. Maybe it's never been done...

4. Savage thread starter macrumors 6502

Savage

I got my red back. The red itself is perfect (fine engine red). The part itself seems to be of decent quality. It looks really cool/unique on my phone, especially with the black bumper and black front. (If you're a red or black/red person like me, this setup is ideal.)

The pictures don't do the red justice, but here they are anyway.

Attached Files:

5. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Cool that you got it fixed. I'd prefer a darker color. I don't want my iPhone 4 screaming out "Steal me" with its bright colors. :D

6. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

Any word on when these will be available for Verizon iPhones?

7. hansolo79 macrumors regular

does your camera flash still work?

8. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Really? :D

9. Savage thread starter macrumors 6502

Savage

My camera flash still works perfectly. I made sure before I purchased it. I don't remember what they said about Verizon, sorry.

10. cdmta macrumors member

Coming from the droid community, i was hoping this one would be more helpful and courteous.

There should be no difference between the verizon and at&t models as far as back and front glass goes. Replace away...

11. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I hate that red. iPhone should be white or black. That's just personal opinion though.

12. EddyP macrumors 6502

FWIW - I like the red. A neat way to make your phone unique.

Stupid question - does changing the back void the warranty?

13. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

It looks great. Hell my black one was stolen proving color has nothing to do with it...ha..ha

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, that looks pretty sharp.

15. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

16. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

Actually, when iFixIt took apart the Verizon iPhone, there are a few differences in the back glass between the two versions that makes the GSM aftermarket parts incompatible with the CDMA version.

Yeah, it does.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree, bright yellow would be even worst:D

Dude:D

18. drummr macrumors regular

I'm diggin' the blue one. Where did you get them?

19. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

Looks great. I like it.

Do all these people that get phones stolen just leave them lying around? I can understand women and their purses, but guys? What do you do, lay it down and hope the world is good? If you throw it in a bag and fall a sleep on the train,bus whatever. That's your own stupidity. Not saying you shouldn't be able to do this but it just not the case these days and you're credulous if you think otherwise.

20. syc23 macrumors member

Not sure about red - pretty horrible and cheapens an otherwise classy product. Just wrong IMO.

21. Savage thread starter macrumors 6502

Savage

Less than 30 seconds. It's just two screws, slide the old piece off, and slide the new one back on. However, I have a launch day phone. My screws are regular Phillips screws. I believe Apple recently changed them to something else that are hard to find a tool for.

This!

Seriously, how do you get your phone stolen? My phone is either in my pocket or in my hand when I'm using it. In what scenario would you need to put your phone down somewhere that is open for anyone to take if they want to?

22. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

Lol why am I getting one word responses? Am I missing something?

23. hildey macrumors newbie

Believe it or not, depending on where you live its quite easy to get your phone or anything else on you stolen. For example I'm in Ecuador for a couple months and I've yet to have had anything stolen but have several friends that have had phones, cameras and many other items stolen. When in a crowded bus a friend of mine who had his phone safely in his pocket had his pocket sliced open and his phone stolen. Other times when walking down the street with a camera in hand I've had several friends have people run up to them and rip their point/shoots and dslrs out of their hands and from around their neck or wrist. The point is, not everyone on these forums is necessarily living in the US and I'm sure similar crimes happen in areas of the US as well. :D

By the way the red and blue both look pretty nice I'd be pretty happy with either of those (although the red is a bit too flashy for my tastes)

24. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

I think most are assuming that the two are the same.

http://www.ifixit.com/iPhone-Parts/iPhone-4-Rear-Glass-Panel-CDMA-Verizon/IF189-001

http://www.ifixit.com/iPhone-Parts/iPhone-4-Rear-Glass-Panel-GSM-ATT/IF182-002

I have no idea but from ifixit it appears that in some way they are different enough to warrant a new part-number.

To answer your question, yes, it seems that they are available for the verizon iphone4

http://www.ifixdirect.com/search?page=1&q=iphone+4+color+swap