Dropped nano on macbook pro screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Feb 12, 2009.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 603

thadoggfather

2. claimed4all macrumors 6502

They will replace it if you pay for it. No Applecare for you.

This would be considered negligence, which is not covered. Sorry.

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

4. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 603

thadoggfather

[​IMG]

my warranty isnt voided on the entire laptop though, is it?

and what about other aspects of the screen, like if the entire panel dies down the road or the wifi signal or something?

The corner of the new nano is sharp. try dropping it on your screen and see the results

5. claimed4all macrumors 6502

Nothing else is void, just the scratch in the screen will not be fixed. Now if for some reason you had another screen issue and it could be proved it was not related to the scratch, it would be covered.

6. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 603

thadoggfather

Great thank you. I guess I'm just going to have to live with the hairline scratch.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Is that the new unibody MacBook with the glass-top screen? How did aluminium scratch glass?

Moh's Hardness Scale

Aluminium = 2.5 to 3
    Glass = 5 to 6.

What's funny is that whenever you tap the screen of an MB, MBP, or iMac at the store with your nail, the sound it makes actually sounds like you're tapping on plastic. It's not like tapping on a window.

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Glass is just a generic term, and Moh's hardness scale doesn't apply to it because theres so many different types.

Think about it, you have sugar glass used in movies for fake glass breakings etc like hitting somone on the head with a bottle, and you have bullet proof glass used by military organisations to keep people safe, you have normal glass used in windows, and you have glasses that wine bottles are made from. They're all different types of glass, some made with Lead, others with soda-lime or even borosilicate glass.

The glass on a Macbook Pro is Acrylic Glass ((C5O2H8)n)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylic_glass

This only has a very low Moh rating, however "behaves in a brittle manner when loaded, especially under an impact force" i.e. will easily crack when getting a nano dropped on it.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Oh goody, it's perspex/acrylic. I've always called it plastic, but I guess some people will call it glass for marketing purposes.

Hmmm.....wonder why?

Ok, then scratch away.....

10. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 603

thadoggfather

No its a matte LCD, the MBP is early 2008 model.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No it's not covered and just the display warranty is voided.

12. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 603

thadoggfather

The display warranty all together? Or just for that specific issue?

13. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Haha. You actually made me LOL :D

As did this.. :confused:

14. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

If an issue arises with your display, and they trace it back to this scratch - then they won't do anything.

Otherwise, you're fine.

15. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 603

thadoggfather

Do you think it's likely if there is a display issue that they'd point it at a hairline gash?

I've run the mouse and a lot of screens over where the hairline gash is, and it looks like all the colors can be duplicated, so the pixels weren't affected or killed just the matte finish.

16. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Really? I thought the glass on a unibody was some type of hardened silica glass? Not plexi.

Am I the only one that didn't know this?

17. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

How did you drop the Nano on the screen of the notebook? I'm having trouble picturing that.

18. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yup, looks like that MBP Matte screen been hit with "the ugly stick" and some...:eek:

19. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 603

thadoggfather

because I have a desk with an overtop piece (in a dorm) and I keep my nano on the top part and it fell out of my hands

20. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

they won't replace and they should not replace it.

in fact, i actually hope they don't replace it because it sends the wrong message. You made the mistake, take ownership of it and don't expect others to fix it for you.

taking time/effort/resources to fix an end-user's mistakes takes away from those who have legitimate problems due to actual manufacturer's error.

That said, the good news is that it appears that only the GLASS has been damaged, not the actual LCD panel. Iresq or ifixit might be the most economical solution in terms of a replacement. or maybe it can be "buffed" out?

21. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 603

thadoggfather

its not glass, its the matte option.

i'm not asking or demanding for a freebie. how about you read the thread first? I'm just asking if its under warranty, it isn't, so i was wondering if there's warranty in case something else with the top lid goes wrong down the line.

22. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

I was under the impression that the OP has a matte screen, no glass. Not sure what all the talk about glass i about...

23. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

In General Practice, the entire screen warranty has been voided, as they will blame any problems on the Mark.

24. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Depends who you give your computer into repair too, but pretty much, they'll say any problems are due to where the computer was mistreated, and use the mark as evidence, i.e. dropped it etc.