Dropped new macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sullez, Sep 19, 2011.

1. sullez macrumors 6502

My new 1 month old macbook pro fell out of my laptop back today (unzipped) it was wearing a speck case and has a abrasion on the aluminum near the black hinge piece and a small gap between one side of the black piece and the aluminum.

The damage is minimal but i am working if I should return since the damage is minimal.

2. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Try babying it more. Within the Day 0 to like Day 80 you should be protecting that thing more than your wife and kids or if you don't have any future wife and kids :D :D :O

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

return it? Apple will not replace it; warranties do not cover accidental damage.

4. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

^^That too:eek:

5. sullez thread starter macrumors 6502

They will have to do something - Im still paying for this computer...

----------

the damage is barely noticeable - I am just more nervous about not knowing if my computer is okay or not in terms of functioning.

6. hcho3 macrumors 68030

If I buy a car and run into some Trees, then will my dealership replace it at no costs?

If you drop your camera, then should best buy or any other retailers replace it?

They should right? I am still paying for that car and the camera.

7. sullez thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh relax - it was a joke. Of course I know it is MY fault it fell - but shoot. I still have a 30 day return policy I can return it.

8. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Relax. I was joking about your jokes. Of course, you can return it and apple genius will say no.

9. DePaulBlueDemon macrumors regular

DePaulBlueDemon

lulz.

10. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

You can try to return it, the worst they can say is no. Give it a shot if you can't stand it (I know I couldn't, I have the smallest scratch on the bottom and one dead pixel and I want a new MBP!).

11. nelz886 macrumors member

nelz886

14 Days if you're in the US.

12. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

Nope lulz, you dropped it they don't cover that.

13. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Indeed.. I really have NO IDEA what your expectations are, but in the 'real world' you are welcome to take it in and have them Replace a few Panels for several hundred dollars.. if that makes you fell better.. =-)

Use it and don't abuse it.. It will treat you well.. just like any other well made tool..

14. Kendo macrumors 68000

Doesn't matter. In 2 years you're probably going to sell it off for whatever new refresh Apple concocts. Just use it. At least now you can use it like a real laptop and carry it around with you everywhere without being paranoid it is going to get a ding.

15. sullez thread starter macrumors 6502

Photo of damage.

Attached Files:

16. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

U only have a 14 days return policy, not 30. Unless u got it somewhere other than the Apple Store

17. hcho3 macrumors 68030

There is always something called miracle. You can try to return. Even though, apple won't accept return after 14 days. This is absolutely true with damaged products.

Good luck.

I am going to call my mercedez dealership to see if I can return my new car. It's still under 30 days, but it has a small scratch.

I paid for it, so I WANT them TO DO SOMETHING!

18. sullez thread starter macrumors 6502

So I just read that the black strip on the macbook pro - on several forums that one side has a slightly larger gap while one side is flush - but the damage outside of that is 2 very small scratches - I am very lucky. THANK YOU SPECK!

19. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Ah...I'm not sure you understand how things work. :eek:

20. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Apple Financing?

21. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

It's not the end of the world:

If you purchased it on a credit card or other financing plan, check to see if there is loss-and-accidental-damage coverage for a short period (typically 90 days) after purchase.

If so, take the machine into the Apple Store and have them give you an estimate for returning the unit to like-new condition. Take that up with the credit card people.

If not, live with it. It'll probably be fine. The parts likeliest to be damaged are the display and hard disk. The display would seem to be fine; the hard disk might take a few weeks to die if it's going to (and the fact that the unit was powered-off adds hope that it won't). Keep the machine backed up, and worst-case is you'll be out $75 or so for a new hard disk (which you can easily replace yourself using the guides at ifixit.com or other such sites).

22. sullez thread starter macrumors 6502

23. snaky69 macrumors 603

You'd be trying to pass user error as a manufacturing fault, which is fraud.

You are not entitled to anything by Apple, in fact, you may have voided your warranty due to physical damage.

Live and learn.

24. rkahl macrumors 65816

Just hope that something goes wrong with it in your first 30 days. You might not get your money back after 14 days, but you have 30 days to get a "New unopened" replacement if your computer is defective.

25. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

Accidental Warranty ftw :)