dropped the mbp, now i have some problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by razmataz92, Aug 29, 2008.

1. razmataz92 macrumors newbie

so yesterday i dropped my macbook pro off my desk. when i picked it up i noticed that the bottom casing was popped out from the top casing. i popped some of it back on but theres still a part which is not closing. then i noticed that the top of my cd drive is bent in a v shape, im scared to put a cd in as it might get stuck. next i noticed the button you press to open the screen it pressed almost all the way and i can barely open it, i need to use my nails and apply lots of pressure to open it. also today i noticed my hard drive is making more noise than usual. all these problems aside from a dent at the bottom and a bunch of scratches...:( is there anything the apple store can do for me? i have the applecare 3-year on it. if they dont fix it, what do you think i should do?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Apple Care doesn't cover accidents, so you may be out a big handful of $100 bills.

Don't know what tier the case and HD come into, but likely a swag will be a lot.

3. razmataz92 thread starter macrumors newbie

wow that sux...i dont think anything is wrong with my hard drive its just making more noise, not really a big issue compared to the casing and stuff.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Might be making more noise because the case is popped open, but most of the time a HD suddenly making more noise means -- I hope your backups are current, its the drive death rattle.

Don't know what repair tier you are in, likely over $700.

Time to check the credit card and see how long the accidental damage and theft coverage is, likely only 90days though.

5. razmataz92 thread starter macrumors newbie

ya all my stuff is backed up. im hoping its not anywhere near 700 cause i dont have that kind of money to spend on that.

6. Mackan macrumors 65816

That's the problem with aluminium, it dents, and it's permanent. A side effect is that it makes it easy for Apple to know if the notebook has been dropped or not, so they can refuse you any warranty service...

7. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

With all that damage did you leave something out of your synopsis... you know, like "So yesterday I dropped my MBP off my desk (which is adjacent to a three story window and on the ground floor they were using a wood chipper and a neighborhood dog was taking a leak at the time.)" :rolleyes:

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Often you can find case parts at iFixit.com. Or you can use the iFixit guides to help you with opening the case. Then try straightening out the dent and warped casing.

It won't look nice but unless the casing is heavily damaged you should be able to straighten it enough to be usable. I have done this before with an Aluminum G4 with a left front corner dent that popped the palm rest up and twisted the case preventing the lid from closing, the CD bay was also bent making disc insertion annoying. I straightened it with pliers and lightly tapping the case with a Tack Hammer and adding a Roll Pin Punch for addressing the dent.

If you have auto body experience you can do a nicer job by using Bondo, sanding and painting the case after it is straightened. I was just doing a quick job for an old Powerbook. Note: do this when the case is separated from the sensitive electronics.:eek:

9. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Dude,you didn't just drop it!!

What you are describing is a disaster!!:eek:

10. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I Wish there was a way to get rid of dents, as i have a small one on the bottom of my MBP, but Aluminium is just so soft :(

11. deltaiscain macrumors regular

same here, have a dent on top. knocked it by accident agains a gas pipe in biology lab :eek:

12. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

lol my wifed pb survived a big car accident years ago. dents all over. gives it a little character :p

13. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Exactly, I've got lots of guitars and trust me it pains me everytime they get a nick or dent or worse....but hey they aren't there to be in a display case, they're to be played & played hard. Same thing w/ a laptop...I imagine if Keith Richards had a laptop there'd be a few burn marks on the cover.

It sucks at the time but def adds character. :cool:

14. Schmoe0013 macrumors regular

Schmoe0013

A friend of mine had his travel bag dropped by airport baggage and it completely crushed the bottom part of his case.

The estimate to replace was $1300. So now he has a bent frame and no way to put in a cd because the case is closed up.

15. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

So the airport employee dropped it? I expect your friend is giving them the bill?

I wouldn't put my laptop bag in w/ the luggage....always a carry-on.

16. tonie macrumors 6502

Is the MBP slippery or something because when I looked on ebay for PBP, most of them are all jacked up and what's up with the plug? some of them have **** load of dents on them.

17. Schmoe0013 macrumors regular

Schmoe0013

At first they said they would. But then they said they were not going to pay for the repair. Their reason "we don't normally do that".
    I'm not sure what the status is with it now, but I do know that complaints with the airlines go nowhere.

18. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

You know, here's an overhead observation of this situation.

A MBP is at least $2K... and closer to $3K than $2K. Other than a car and a house what will you ever own that costs you more?

If you all can't take care of this crap let me suggest that you never have babies. They're free at first and if you drop them once you end up with people posting dumb assed threads like this 19 years later. :rolleyes:

19. thebeesknees macrumors regular

This post scared me.

When I get my MacBook Pro, I'm buying the hard shell. And that soft case. And I'm going to carry it with the same reverence that my baby cousin gets when I carry him.

20. razmataz92 thread starter macrumors newbie

so basically im waiting on a quote to replace the bottom casing of the laptop and the top casing. it needs to be replaced because it is not sitting right and is barely closing...

21. razmataz92 thread starter macrumors newbie

yup i dropped it. gladly everything is working, nothing is wrong except for a crapload of physical problems...

22. m1stake macrumors 68000

You forget that the MacBook Pro exists in the same physical universe that you occupy, and is susceptible to the same damages that you are :p

Your HDD may be going, but I suppose that you're right: as long as the screen and board are OK, you're fine.

23. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Lmao, nicely put

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

For a second there I thought you were talking about your wife :eek: :p

You're better off paying the accidental flat rate repair of $1200 and sell the computer. Otherwise, do the whole repair yourself and save on the labor costs.

25. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

did you drop it off a desk or out an airplane??? man that thing sounds trashed:eek: